Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

LED Mishap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
monto18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry LED Mishap

Alright so before today, I had changed every single bulb in my G to LED(reverse lights, map lights and door lights) without breaking or damaging anything...a couple of days ago i saw that the vanity lights were available so i ordered them in super white to match my map lights and i got them today...as i was finishing up, the plastic cover on the passenger side was giving me trouble so i went to the driver side and it was also giving me trouble...so i finally tried to force it in and my mirror broke!! i felt so dam stupidso my question is what the hell can i do to replace it?? do i have to replace the entire thing??
Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, i think that makes you the second person on these forums to do that. do a creative search and you'll find another thread with the same scenario.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sucks do a search for im to strong formy vanity mirrors, sucks but its fixable. nto cheap but fixable.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 PM
monto18

thanks guys, i found the thread...it was posted by shumby...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 PM
IP37

why would you wan an led staring you in the face anyway?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
GiGGaplease

ekk, how you break your mirrorz? 7 years bad luck for you.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
it does look much better with the LED.... someone else had the same problem and heard they have to replace the entire visor...
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

Please read entire post first.

OK man I feel your pain. I cursed so loud when this happened to me the nabor came over to see what we wrong.

OK the details.

First off remember that Infiniti only sells the visor assy. not just the mirror. it costs around $120. I could not live with the broken mirror but want to save the 120 if I could. So i figured if i F**K it up oh well I am still out the 120. But if i do it right i will save.

First remove the visor from the car.
there is a small cover where it is mounted to the roof.
remove the cover and unscrew the screw that hols it in place.
gently lower the visor you will see the power line coming out of the roof.
unplug the wire at the connector.
now you have the visor out. and the easy part is over.

This is where it get scary.

I used a butter knife and a long flat screw drive for the rest of the dis assembly.

starting in the middle insert the butter knife into the bottom split in the visor and twist it open enough to try and get a finger in there. Then pull it apart working your way to the side of the visor with out the slide out extention.

It is going to take alot of force. You will feel like you are going to break the clips holding it together. Trust me it will come apart and the clips will be fine.

once you have ths end oposite the slid out split apart you need to pull the slid out out as farr as you can then using a long flat terminal screw drive insert it through the split in the mirror and push the tap the hold the slider from coming all the way out. you should be able to now pull the slider all the way out.

You will now see 2 screws that need to be removed. Remove them and use some more brut force to separate the rest of the mirror.

Now you will be able to see how the glass will pop out of its clips.

Once i got my glass out i took it to 4 Glass shops but none had mirror that thin.

I ended up going to a pick-ur-part junk yard. I started pulling visor mirros out of cars and checking to see if they were the same thickness, and large enough or over sized.

The mirror i found to replace mine with was out of a ford windstar. It was slightly larger and a fraction thicker.

Junk yard gave it to me for free.

Local glass shop cut it to size for me for free. (This same shop not knowing i needed it that thin also cut me a thick piece and gave it to me for free to. thanks speedy auto glass in leduc alberta.)

Now because the glass was ever so slightly thicker I had to use a razor blade to shave down the clips that hold it in place. It shaves very easy and if you go a little at a time it is simple.

I then poped the mirror in pushed to visor back together (alot easyer then pulling apart) replaced the 2 screws. inserted the visor and placed back in the car. looks good as new and was apsolutly free.DOMO

DO NOT try to pop the mirror and frame out from the visor with the visor not split abart. you will end up breaking $hit and it dose not come out that way. Trust me i tried and broke 1 clip but you cannot tell so it s all good.

Hope this helps. I wish i took pics but every one was like how the hell did you break your mirror doing that. I felt like a idiot because i was the only one.

Oh well i guess we are a coulple of idots now. lol

Let me know how it turns out.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM
monto18

thanks so much man..i'll let you know what happened when i do this...thanks for the dyi
Old 04-05-2008, 12:14 AM
wrathletik1

What did you use to replace the reverse light? Is it a blue-ish white or super white? Lookin all over the internet and can't find it.

Last edited by wrathletik1; 04-05-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM
monto18

my reverse lights are super white...just like my map lights, vanity lights and trunk lights...i went with blue on my door lights and license plates
Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
just saw the post shumby... good write up