Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla style screen vs vline infotainment system

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:05 PM
jesse123456
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla style screen vs vline infotainment system

What do you guys think is the best option? I need inputs to decide which is more reliable and cool. Thank you
Old 06-29-2021, 09:39 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Based on what I've researched the V-line seems to be less problematic when installed. The Tesla style is cool but it throws the dash lights on which may have issues later. I like the look of the tesla though since we cant do anything aftermarket. I am personallygoing to try the nifty city. It is mostly plug and play.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:30 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
I have the Tesla screen. Everything seems to work fine. Some Tesla screens have built DSP, some don’t. Mine doesn’t unfortunately but make sure your does, especially if you care about audio. They look indentical so hard to tell unless you ask.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:31 PM
jesse123456
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sobeipl
i have the tesla screen. Everything seems to work fine. Some tesla screens have built dsp, some don’t. Mine doesn’t unfortunately but make sure your does, especially if you care about audio. They look indentical so hard to tell unless you ask.
dsp ?.,,,,,,
Old 07-01-2021, 05:55 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse123456
What do you guys think is the best option? I need inputs to decide which is more reliable and cool. Thank you
I've never had the Tesla style screen installed but have followed several threads that seem to indicate that its not a simple install; which makes sense as Infiniti runs the CANBUS communications for the environmental controls (and a host of other subsystems) through the AV unit.. However, it seems that once the initial install issues are solved, the units are robust and work well.

On the other hand, I was a beta tester for the GROM audio VLine series and from the get go my impressions were not good. It is obvious that the VLine is an overlay system and not a true integrated part of the car's infotainment system. I found the graphics crude and cheesy and in whole the system was not a favorable addition to what I consider the higher end look of the G37. Early on the voice recognition did not work well and the steering wheel controls did not work at all. The added issue of having to switch from the AUX input when running the VLine to the factory mode to view the AC controls was a pain. In the end, I decided that even with all the little issues fixed, the system would always be an irritating addition to the vehicle so I pulled it and gave it back to GROM

After reading the thread from iCrap and his adventures with a RasberryPi and aftermarket touch screen, I think this may be the best solution of all. From his read, It looks like most of the technical hurdles have been solved (at least for the earlier models of the G) and no more mode switching to use the various parts of the system. Beware though, the install does not look pretty and I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart

Either the RasberryPi or the Tesla options get my #1 & #2 vote. The VLine isn't even an option
Old 07-03-2021, 11:16 AM
ed2019
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the GROM Vline 1 and do not recommend anything from that company at all. When it was working, it wasn't bad and could live with some of the minor quibbles, but the thing got progressively slower as time went on, had major lag issues and would lock up, requiring the power to be unplugged from the unit to reset it. Their tech support was a total nightmare to deal with and would only respond to you once a day with stupid troubleshooting steps that I already told them I went through. It took a full week to get them to accept a return, only to receive the unit back with nothing fixed, after I spent my own postage to send it back. I removed it and have been keeping an eye out for new solutions, but still using the stock unit until then.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:38 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ed2019
I had the GROM Vline 1 and do not recommend anything from that company at all. When it was working, it wasn't bad and could live with some of the minor quibbles, but the thing got progressively slower as time went on, had major lag issues and would lock up, requiring the power to be unplugged from the unit to reset it. Their tech support was a total nightmare to deal with and would only respond to you once a day with stupid troubleshooting steps that I already told them I went through. It took a full week to get them to accept a return, only to receive the unit back with nothing fixed, after I spent my own postage to send it back. I removed it and have been keeping an eye out for new solutions, but still using the stock unit until then.
I was tweaked having to drive up to their install center a couple of times a month to get things sorted out. Id be majorly bent if I had to uninstall and ship the thing back to them
Old 07-03-2021, 08:25 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse123456
dsp ?.,,,,,,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digi...gnal_processor

Originally Posted by Absinthe
I've never had the Tesla style screen installed but have followed several threads that seem to indicate that its not a simple install;
I had tremendous issues wiring mine but that’s b/ Phoenix (the PoS seller of them) wired everything wrong. Luckily anyone with bose and nav can follow the schematic I’ve posted and should be good. Overall, for a made in China unit, it’s pretty solid and works nicely. I really have zero complaints except for the wiring frustration.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:38 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I have the Tesla screen for 2 years now. Very simple install and zero issues.