Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Weird Issues Including Heated Seats and Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:14 AM
ctng37
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Weird Issues Including Heated Seats and Speaker

As the title states, I am noticing some weird issues with my car and I'm not sure what's going on. The main thing that's bugging me is that the tweeter (I think that's what it's called, the speaker mounted behind the side mirror) is making crackling noises on most songs. In regards to the heated seats, it seems that the driver's side is always on despite me completely turning it off and the LED on the switch is not lighting up. However, when turning on the passenger side's, it doesn't seem to heat.

Does anyone have any ideas? My car is a 2012 g37 sedan 6mt that just hit 70k miles. Most recent mods were 6000k HIDs and Switchback Turns with Resistors. I'm not the best around electrical stuff and not sure how installing bulbs would cause the issue but I did notice the speaker issue start happening after the install if that gives any helpful information. I always thought my heated seat was on bc I would notice it sometimes but mainly wrote it off because I thought it was all in my head. However, after a 2 hour road trip, I am almost certain the heated seats are on.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Speaker crackling usually means its blown, either turn down eq settings or replace with new component set. The hear being warm could be switch or fuse. Try unplugging battery for 30 mins and see if it goes away
Old 07-21-2019, 04:29 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Speaker crackling usually means its blown, either turn down eq settings or replace with new component set. The hear being warm could be switch or fuse. Try unplugging battery for 30 mins and see if it goes away
Yeah. After sleeping over it, I think they're all independent issues that so happened to occur simultaneously/ I started noticing it simultaneously. I was planning on taking apart the center console and switching the heated seat switch from passenger to the driver to see if it's a switch problem or something else, assuming the switches are interchangeable. One thing I forgot to mention is that the passenger's switch has always been sticky since I purchased the car so that might've contributed to the issue. What's the goal of unplugging the battery? Forcing a reset for the electronics?
Old 07-21-2019, 05:19 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
If the seat heats when the switch is OFF, then you likely have a bad switch or a stuck relay. Only thing you can do is unplug the suspect switch and see if the seat heats up. The switches (pass/driver) use different connectors so you can't swap them out (at least on my car they are).

Disconnecting the battery here won't help.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-21-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:30 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
If the seat heats when the switch is OFF, then you likely have a bad switch or a stuck relay. Only thing you can do is unplug the suspect switch and see if the seat heats up. The switches (pass/driver) use different connectors so you can't swap them out (at least on my car they are).

Disconnecting the battery here won't help.
The led is off while it still heats. I can still turn it up higher, however. Just not completely off. I’m in the process of taking out the center console now.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:08 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Pull battery first and see if it clears
Old 07-22-2019, 05:45 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

Got around pulling the center console and unplugging the driver's switch. So far, the heating does not seem to be turning on and the passenger side is back to normal. Hopefully, it is as easy as replacing a switch. Also was able to determine the speaker which is making the noise. It's actually the one closest to the interior door handle. Now I just need to figure out if I need a replacement or it's something to do with my car.

Last edited by ctng37; 07-22-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:34 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
It can only be the switch or the relay. Being you disconnected the switch and all appears normal, I think you found the gremlin.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:45 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

Quick Update: All of the issues were independent of each other, thankfully. Replaced the speaker and plugged the original heated seat switch back in to see if it still heats up by itself. After a quick test drive, the seats no longer heat up when the switch is off. Not too sure what the initial issue was then. Maybe it only happens after driving for a while? Weird but I'm not complaining.