Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37 Audio

Old 06-18-2019, 11:28 PM
ChanHull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Audio

I have a 2008 G37s coupe and wanted to put some subs and a new radio in it. The biggest problem I'm running into is replacing the radio with a new one. I have a nav system in it and can't find a dash kit that will work with it, so I can install the new radio. Does anyone know of one I could get? I've seen the Tesla style ones that I can put in, but they seem overkill and cost a lot.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ChanHull
I've seen the Tesla style ones that I can put in, but they seem overkill and cost a lot.
they are dirt cheap compared to what you'd have to spend and do to get an aftermarket stereo in there ....
Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ChanHull
I have a 2008 G37s coupe and wanted to put some subs and a new radio in it. The biggest problem I'm running into is replacing the radio with a new one. I have a nav system in it and can't find a dash kit that will work with it, so I can install the new radio. Does anyone know of one I could get? I've seen the Tesla style ones that I can put in, but they seem overkill and cost a lot.
Why would you want to replace the head unit? You uncork a plethora of issues going this route and the existing head unit provides clean balanced line level signals
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Why would you want to replace the head unit? You uncork a plethora of issues going this route and the existing head unit provides clean balanced line level signals
i can understand why (AA/Carplay, using Waze or Google Maps, and other more modern features), but the MASSIVE headache and expense to achieve it are just not worth it.

there's the Tesla unit, but the G37 version seems pretty buggy, and i wouldn't want to deal with that, either.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Grom VLine...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Grom VLine...
Do you have one?

Haven't heard good things about those, and after my experience with their Wirelinq, i'm kinda turned off to their products.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:41 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
I do not. I've been following threads pretty carefully on the forum and it does seem to be the only game in town for adding functionality. As it's about $500 it's on my want-but-after-getting-a-tune list.

The stock display is double-din, roughly, but its only a few inches deep so any double-din android head unit would not fit. Then all the dash buttons wouldn't work and you'd lose nav.

The dash panel would need to be completely recreated to put the stereo down where the DVD/CD player sits. I'm not sure this could be done without seriously changing the interior design. See the Tesla screen mod - it really doesn't look like it was intended to be there IMHO.

VLine does seem to have its problems, and it ain't cheap. If you don't want to add functionality, then I think you could roll with the oem head unit and replace the amps and speakers to get the sound quality or quantity you want.