Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Code P0463

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:54 PM
Eldredge253
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Code P0463

Alright guys. So today i just checked the car for any codes with the UPRev software. I do this periodically as a just because. The CEL light wasnt on in the car, but when i checked for any DTCs the code P0463 came up. So i did a quick search online and on here and found it to deal woth the fuel level sensor and ecm. I cleared the code for now to see if it comes back tomorrow. The wierd thing is. This morning i put my weekly gas in, and the pump was very difficult to get to stay pumping. One of those gotta hold it a certain way type of pump this morning. So for it to keep pumping because i know i was almost empty. I had to hold the pump to the side. Not wanting to do this. But was 4am and going to work. So you guys think this might have played a roll in this code? Or am i expecting bigger issues? Anyone have this happen to them and what did they have to replace. The fuel gauge is working. I filled the tank and drove to work and home and the typical ampunt seems to be reading on guage. Is this sensor eSy to replace? And if replacing the sensor do i do the pump as well since im in there? Thanks guys
Old 05-29-2019, 12:13 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
There is a TSB for fueling issues.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:17 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Filling up the car could be the issue but then again I have that similar issue where at one gas station it would do that but in others it won’t. Maybe try another gas station see if it does the same thing if yes then that might be the issue.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:11 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Eldredge253
Alright guys. So today i just checked the car for any codes with the UPRev software. I do this periodically as a just because. The CEL light wasnt on in the car, but when i checked for any DTCs the code P0463 came up. So i did a quick search online and on here and found it to deal woth the fuel level sensor and ecm. I cleared the code for now to see if it comes back tomorrow. The wierd thing is. This morning i put my weekly gas in, and the pump was very difficult to get to stay pumping. One of those gotta hold it a certain way type of pump this morning. So for it to keep pumping because i know i was almost empty. I had to hold the pump to the side. Not wanting to do this. But was 4am and going to work. So you guys think this might have played a roll in this code? Or am i expecting bigger issues? Anyone have this happen to them and what did they have to replace. The fuel gauge is working. I filled the tank and drove to work and home and the typical ampunt seems to be reading on guage. Is this sensor eSy to replace? And if replacing the sensor do i do the pump as well since im in there? Thanks guys
I don't know about the root of your problem, but there are two sensors for fuel level...one is built into the Fuel pump (but you can buy the sender separately) and one is just a sender on the other side of the tank...its more common that they effect fuel gauge operation because the resistor on the sensors gets dirty...if its not effecting gauge operation and its a circuit issue it may be an continuity/wiring issue that you may want to test out. Please post up how you resolve this issue as I'm sure it would be helpful to others...good luck.

Last edited by Baadnewsburr; 05-29-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: corrected info on fuel pump
Old 05-29-2019, 11:23 AM
Eldredge253
Registered Member

Thank you guys for your ideas. I took rear seat out last night and checked the connectors just for ****s and grins. All looked good. I unplugged them. Cleaned them off with electrical cleaner because i was there. But still getting code. Its a soft code too. The CEL light isnt on which is wierd. Every thing i find online says that they get the CEL light. And talked with infiniti last night to make apt. And they said thats an unusual code. They normaly see P0462 which is a LOW input code mines a high input code. Just wierd that had issues with getting gas and now code. Guess i will wait to see what happens
Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Eldredge253
Thank you guys for your ideas. I took rear seat out last night and checked the connectors just for ****s and grins. All looked good. I unplugged them. Cleaned them off with electrical cleaner because i was there.
just for clarity what connectors did you clean? did you pull the pump/senders out of the tank and clean the resistors on the senders? or did you just clean the connectors on the sender/fuel pump outside the the tank?

here's a couple of videos on cleaning the resistors:
Old 05-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Eldredge253
Registered Member

No. Just the connectors on outside of tank. Figured i would start small and work my way in if that didnt seem to work. It was late at night. Figured i would make sure the connectors were at least looking good. I now am not getting a code. I went out at lunch checked for codes 3 times. Drove the car around, nothinh. Will see again when i get home
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (05-29-2019)