Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Having Disc Eject Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:03 PM
I知.A.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having Disc Eject Issue

just got a 2011 G37. Love it. But the Eject CD and Load CD is really bringing me down.
Trying to find a replacement AV harness. Having zero luck.
Looking at the Tesla screen. If that comes with new wirring and no problems.
Feeling overhwhelmed.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by I知.A.G
just got a 2011 G37. Love it. But the Eject CD and Load CD is really bringing me down.
Trying to find a replacement AV harness. Having zero luck.
Looking at the Tesla screen. If that comes with new wirring and no problems.
Feeling overhwhelmed.
This is a common problem with CD Players over time. The issue is the pinch roller that moves the CD into and out of the play mechanism is dirty, dusty or the rubber is degraded. If this is the case with your unit, the application of a rubber conditioner will solve the problem. Unless you like the features of the larger screen, it doesn't seem a very economical choice given the potential cost of the repair
Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 PM
I知.A.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Absinthe
This is a common problem with CD Players over time. The issue is the pinch roller that moves the CD into and out of the play mechanism is dirty, dusty or the rubber is degraded. If this is the case with your unit, the application of a rubber conditioner will solve the problem. Unless you like the features of the larger screen, it doesn't seem a very economical choice given the potential cost of the repair
thanks for the reply!!! What would be considered a rubber conditioner??? Can I damp a paper towel with WD40 and brush the rubber???
Hahahaha.... but I知 kinda serious
Old 03-14-2019, 01:05 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
IMO, a better solution is to rip your CDs to MP3s, copy them to a thumb drive, then play your songs from that. In the nearly eight years I've owned my G37, I don't believe I EVER used the CD player.

As I don't have NAV, I'm limited to one thousand entries on the thumb drive directory (four folders and 996 songs) but I have never felt that to be a limitation. Some day, I'll fill another thumb drive with 996 songs. There will be no repeats between the two. Granted, you can't navigate through your songs as you can with an Apple product but I just select All Random and enjoy. In addition, your CDs stay immaculate in their jewel cases.

In case you didn't know 2009(?) and later have a USB port in the front of the center console. Earlier years have AV jacks.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:44 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
IMO, a better solution is to rip your CDs to MP3s, copy them to a thumb drive, then play your songs from that. In the nearly eight years I've owned my G37, I don't believe I EVER used the CD player.

As I don't have NAV, I'm limited to one thousand entries on the thumb drive directory (four folders and 996 songs) but I have never felt that to be a limitation. Some day, I'll fill another thumb drive with 996 songs. There will be no repeats between the two. Granted, you can't navigate through your songs as you can with an Apple product but I just select All Random and enjoy. In addition, your CDs stay immaculate in their jewel cases.

In case you didn't know 2009(?) and later have a USB port in the front of the center console. Earlier years have AV jacks.
pretty much cant argue that. Ive been using my 128GB ipod Touch since I bought the car in 2009 so the only time I've used the CD was for test tones to tune the stereo
Old 03-16-2019, 04:59 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I知.A.G

thanks for the reply!!! What would be considered a rubber conditioner??? Can I damp a paper towel with WD40 and brush the rubber???
Hahahaha.... but I知 kinda serious
WD-40 is a penetrating lubricant and will only make matters worse. Just about any type of rubber belt dressing will work. The only thing to check for is if it contains solvents not compatible with polycarbonate as that will melt the CD. I've used CRC belt dressing (In the Automotive section) in a pinch but if applied heavy, it tends to leave a residue that will transfer to the CD.