Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Apple TV into Display Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:44 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
^ ok, well, you are waaaay ahead of the plan...lol but very cool. so yeah, wasn't too sure on the wif connection but HDMI sounds plausible and this is definitely a good solution and inexpensive if it works, so yeah will be checking on your feedback ...definetely, keep us posted etc and thanks for the info on usb
Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 PM
Str8Gtime
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Miracast review

Received and installed miracast today. It works as intended - as you can see from the pics, I took a video but cannot upload here - but overall the results were kind of underwhelming. Resolution is not the greatest, it does not work with Netflix, and there was very minor distortion with my mine (could be due to the power supply?) 4 out of 10. What was good - it does stream music via Spotify even with screen off, maps was okay - little blurry and a little distortion, you tube works. Is it worth it? Meh I don’t see how it is better than my phone tbh - I have a stand on my dash and the resolution is better. If you see the uneven horizontal lines that is the distortion I speak of, honestly phone mirroring is not as cool as I thought it would be.... maybe I’ll mess around with maps and see if I like it for that - it does work via hdmi and when hooked up to a tv there is no distortion

below are screen captures of the original video so the home screen does look like it would on your phone, just a little blurry

Taking video with phone mirroring

Bad pic of my iPhone home screen

Last edited by Str8Gtime; 05-23-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Add
The following users liked this post:
G37sPhoton (05-26-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

....indeed..err maybe not ..however, that the price is a cheap food run etc...not bad...maybe it is the power or maybe some tweaking.I have been reading for a while on mirroring and funny you say that..i gues it depends on connection/display to give the wow factor possibly but cool nevertheless and yeah, will keep an eye on it and see ...Ive purchased another 'tooooooo good to be true for the price' gadget and it was...but this, at least functions as advertised, just a bit in the less than what i hoped for... anyway man, much appreciate the update. btw- can you do a horizontal display, say when viewing you tube? or is everything always in portrait mode? if that is the case, then yeah, not ideal, but if horiz , may be worth a try ....
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 PM
Str8Gtime
Registered Member

screen mirroring?

how it shows after connecting to wi-fi, then choosing screen mirroring
I mean my initial review is a bit critical, mainly because I have a backup cam that and a bluetooth receiver that were using the composite connections in my car so the miracast was competing against those. The distortion is minimal most people would not care - especially with a lighter background, it does switch to full screen when you turn your phone sideways- pics posted below. I use my phone as a camera so I would like to show maps and youtube but am unable due to the "mirroring." I will test it out for a while, so far maps is useful as I can stream music at the same time and the only thing I don't like, is that it does not auto connect. So every time i want to use it I have to connect to the miracast via wi-fi settings - then choose mirror screen from the iphone (swipe up menu) - maybe i can set it to be default but that is inconvenient. If you do not have a bluetooth receiver for streaming music, I think this would be a good purchase - not sure how it will hold up to extreme temperatures but for something that costed 23 dollars I'm surprised nobody mentioned this as an option. I found some 400-600 dollar alternatives but it seemed ridiculous for what you were getting. Let me know if you have any other questions -

what comes in the box

configuration screen

screen mirroring - landscape

screen mirroring - portrait mode

Last edited by Str8Gtime; 05-25-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: update
The following 2 users liked this post by Str8Gtime:
Etiennear (12-30-2021), G37sPhoton (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:32 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Hey, that actually looks decent...yes, first review and pics were not so promising, but I see now that it's workable and for the price.....not bad...thanks...and just to verify , does it have to use the comp connection? or can you do the usb, as my car is an 11 and only has the usb connection....

Last edited by G37sPhoton; 05-26-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Str8Gtime
Registered Member

I am not sure as it comes with 3.5mm to composite. I dont have a converter cable - but if they make usb to 3.5mm or HDMI to usb - it might work? I tested and can confirm that Hdmi to Hdmi works pretty well on a high def TV. But the only "signal output," options from the device are hdmi, or the 3.5mm to composite (HDMI sold seperately)
Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM
MrBarley
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused, I thought non-navs didn't come with the RCA inputs?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Str8Gtime
Registered Member

Definitely do

Pretty sure it is more about getting the premium package. I know that 2010 models started using usb instead of composite.

Might as well do a android box as they have storage and would allow for more options. All in all I didn’t see the need for any of this

Last edited by Str8Gtime; 09-11-2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 06-15-2020, 12:33 AM
Deniro

Quick question

Originally Posted by xsamsg37
This is a follow up with the instructions to a thread i’ve posted a couple days ago. Please do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for anything you do. This installation is fairly simple you just need to know the faintest about wiring. Before you start make sure your model has RCA inputs in the armrest of your car. The main components you will need is an apple tv (you can easily find them used on offer up for 20-40$ I bought mine for 25$ everything included. It was the 3rd generation. The apple tv 3 and 4 will work for this but apple tv 4 is more costly. Apple tv 3 is the last model to have silver remote and 4 is the first model to come with siri remote.), an hdmi to rca converter box with a usb power cable, some extra wire , RCA cables, and a cigarette lighter to 12v adapter box (around $30). The tools you will need is a flat head screw driver/ prying tool, smaller philips head, scissors, and some electrical tape.

So once you have everything set up apple tv inside on a tv to make your life easier. Now your car has a safety feature where it won’t let you watch anything on screen unless parking break is pulled. Some people put the parking break on 1 click. This is not only bad for ur car but also will not work in this because your car also has a speed sensor that would turn off the display after sensing speed. So here is a video that explains how to get passed this issue and also shows you how to disassemble the middle portion of your car which is necessary. It’s not as scary as it looks trust me. https://youtu.be/PZPRBarKVQo Now he is trying to install a back up camera so just disregard that part but do not put together the car after bypassing that. You can put the radio unit and screen back in place you’re done with that part. Now next what you will do is take the cigarette lighter converter and cut off and splice the wire where the cigarette lighter part was.

Now after cut place the box part in the glove box and run the spliced wire behind the glove box and through the front of the consol so it comes out the front. (you might need to extend this part with the extra wire if it won’t reach) Now you will tap into the back of the cigarette lighter that is located right here.

Now after this plug in the apple tv into the box and also plug in the HDMI to RCA converter in one of the usb ports. Make sure everything gets power now hook up the HDMI from apple tv to converter.(what I did to save most space and keep it super clean was I ordered a 6inch HDMI cable and a 1 foot AC cable for apple tv cord) now once you have this all hooked up all you do is hook up RCA cable to converter run it through the center consol just like the first time but run the RCA down by next to the transmission. Now pop that black center price off in between arm rest and transmission. Here you have two choices I went for the cleaner one. First is to run it into the arm rest and just connect it, second is to unscrew RCA input from armrest and just have 3 holes and have the RCA input and wire connected under trim of car. Now all you do is make sure everything works. Put back all the interior peices and you should be good. How apple tv will work now is you will need to run it off the personal hotspot of your phone. So what I do is turn it on before I start the car so when by the time it starts you easily just airplay your music or mirror your phone like usual. It’s way easier then it sounds and worth it for what you’re getting with the price. Sorry it is so long I tried to explain it best as I can it you have any questions or if you need pictures of any specific step I will try to get it to you asap.

Do you think this would work on a G35x 2007
it DONT have navigation but has screen
Old 03-16-2022, 08:15 AM
Zachary_r98

I tried this out on my 09 G37, didn't seem to work. Would it be because I'm using the 2nd gen apple tv? Do I really need the 3rd or 4th Gen? Or can I even buy the newest one 7th gen?