Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Non-Nav-->Nav

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 04:28 PM
QintheLou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Non-Nav-->Nav

Hello folks, newbie here. I have been doing some research on how to do the non-nav-->nav switch. I have found an OEM control panel/bezel/screen compatible with Nav, but I was wondering what else I would need to do so or if it can be done in general? I did some digging on the post from 2013, but it didn't touch on the newer models. I have a 2015 Q40. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-24-2018, 07:14 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Hello "Newbie" and welcome to the site. Most of the NAV systems from 2010-2015 should be compatible with your Q40. The only exceptions would the 2014+ Q50 and the 2016+ Q60 as they both went to the dual screen In-Touch nonsense. If your car has the single-screen system then you are good to go.

As for necessary parts needed, at the minimum you need the headunit, display, the center switch (radio/HVAC) assembly, the NAV switch (dial) assembly, and the GPS antenna. For full functionality you would need the steering wheel switches and USB port. If your car has the backup camera then you do not need to worry about getting a camera and steering angle sensor.

Getting the parts together is the easy part. Getting the connectors and wiring cables- that can be tricky. You absolutely must have the GVIF cable that connects the display to the AV headunit. If you want USB, you will need that special cable as well. You should be able to reuse most of the wiring connectors in your car, but you might need a few different ones as some wires will have to be changed/added/modified. The swap IS NOT plug-and-play.

In short, it can be done. It has been done by a few forum members. For anyone with decent electronics skills the project is relatively straight forward. I put a 2014 system into my 2008 and my only regret was not doing it sooner. I have to admit I have never used the NAV part and many say it is crap. For me, the Bluetooth and USB works fine for my needs. If you have any questions just ask!
Old 11-25-2018, 04:15 PM
QintheLou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Hello "Newbie" and welcome to the site. Most of the NAV systems from 2010-2015 should be compatible with your Q40. The only exceptions would the 2014+ Q50 and the 2016+ Q60 as they both went to the dual screen In-Touch nonsense. If your car has the single-screen system then you are good to go.

As for necessary parts needed, at the minimum you need the headunit, display, the center switch (radio/HVAC) assembly, the NAV switch (dial) assembly, and the GPS antenna. For full functionality you would need the steering wheel switches and USB port. If your car has the backup camera then you do not need to worry about getting a camera and steering angle sensor.

Getting the parts together is the easy part. Getting the connectors and wiring cables- that can be tricky. You absolutely must have the GVIF cable that connects the display to the AV headunit. If you want USB, you will need that special cable as well. You should be able to reuse most of the wiring connectors in your car, but you might need a few different ones as some wires will have to be changed/added/modified. The swap IS NOT plug-and-play.

In short, it can be done. It has been done by a few forum members. For anyone with decent electronics skills the project is relatively straight forward. I put a 2014 system into my 2008 and my only regret was not doing it sooner. I have to admit I have never used the NAV part and many say it is crap. For me, the Bluetooth and USB works fine for my needs. If you have any questions just ask!
Wow thanks for the info! When you refer to USB, I have one in my center console for iPod hookup? Is that what you are referring to? I also have the stereo controls on my steering wheel, are there others that need to be added?
Old 11-25-2018, 04:33 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Yes, the USB port. I don't use Apple and their iCrap but I do use the USB for mp3's and mp4's (don't ask). If you already have USB in the center console then no worries- the cable should plug right in to the NAV unit.

The steering switches on NAV cars allow access to the NAV function menus. They are not required to use the NAV system so swapping them out is not a big deal.