Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sub installer caused wet floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 11:57 PM
STEVEfromLA
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sub installer caused wet floorboards

I had my floorboards get very wet under my mats after a big storm and thought was clogged sunroof drain. Passenger side looks to be clog with a lot of dirt and a rock clogging the drain that was caught by the baffle. However my drivers side was actually caused by my subwoofer installer. I went there since they have the best reputation in town. Right where the driver side sunfroof drains is right over where he drilled a new hole into my firewall. He was such a great installer he applied nothing around the subwoofer wire and has caused a easy water entry into my car. After $120 dealership to check it out and two days of work drying out my car and replacing sunroof drains down the drain. I went by the installer and they placed some putty like material around the wire and said will harden to protect from leaks. It’s been three days and doesn’t seem to be hardened at all.

Recommendations on getting this wirewall leak area resolved?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVEfromLA
Recommendations on getting this wirewall leak area resolved?
really? are you serious?

silicone caulk, liquid electrical tape, Flex Seal .....

Old 10-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
theres first mistake drilles new hole in firewall... why...
i installed my sub myself ran all wires etc.. i used the exsting firewall hole behind the battery piece of cake.. 4 gauge fit fine. sorry to hear that bro. they should be responsible for any bill you incurres from there mistake...
Old 10-01-2018, 04:14 PM
STEVEfromLA
Registered Member

Yes I’m serious. Let me rephrase. What product do you recommend that I ensure the installer places here for the best seal.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:59 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
I have a very hard time believing a hole in the firewall caused you to get water into your floorboards. A hole on a vertical wall in a crowded engine bay is going to let very little, if any water at all into the interior. I know many people who have drilled a hole in their firewall to install various things, and only used a piece of split vacuum tube on the edge of the hole to prevent chafing and never got a drop of water into their interior.

You already said the passenger side drain was plugged. That alone could have caused all your wetness. I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:38 AM
STEVEfromLA
Registered Member

I went back to the installer. Small cup of water pouring in sunroof area trout showed the water pour out to the engine bay and the hole was drilled at the base of a curve. All water is funneled from this curve to this hole at the base. With no caulk definitely caused most of the water directly in the car. All sealed but time will tell.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVEfromLA
Yes I’m serious. Let me rephrase. What product do you recommend that I ensure the installer places here for the best seal.
i wasn't sure you were, because if it was me, i'd go into my garage and use one of the products i mentioned above and do it myself in a couple minutes.

if you want to take the time to drive it to the installer's, wait for them to do the same, then drive back home again, that's your call.