Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Dashcam hardwiring. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:40 AM
silentmind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dashcam hardwiring. Please help

I have a Rexing dashcam that i would like to hardwire to my 2011 G37 coupe. I used a multimeter to measure the fuses in the fusebox to see which one is always on even when the engine is off and which one is only on when the engine is on, however, it was not reading any of them and I'm not sure why (it is a brand new multimeter and i tested with a battery already) I also have a hardwiring kit bought from Bestbuy that already comes with a fuse. The picture shows 3 open slots. What are those? and can i just plug it straight in one of those slots?
Since my hardwire kit comes with a fuse already, how can i connect it to add a circuit so that i can tap it into a cigar lighter/power socket etc..

Thank you!

Old 09-12-2018, 02:56 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I moved your post to a more appropriate forum. Electricity is pretty much magic to me, so I can't help. I believe there is still an online factory service manual somewhere to which others might be able to link.
The following users liked this post:
silentmind (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:14 PM
silentmind

Thank you!
Old 09-12-2018, 05:33 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
2012 Infiniti G37 Coupe FSM - Factory Service Manual
Here is a link for the 2012 Coupe FSM. There will be no difference between 2011 and 2012. You will want Section PG (Power & Ground) though I would download the whole thing while it is still there.

You might be able to utilize one of the "empty" fuse slots but you have to double check the fuse guide and FSM. Once you go over the FSM, if you still have questions just ask.

Just FYI, it might be some time before I am able to reply as my area has to evacuate for this hurricane, however, I will reply- eventually. This does not preclude any other forum members who might be able to help though.
silentmind (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by silentmind
I have a Rexing dashcam that i would like to hardwire to my 2011 G37 coupe. I used a multimeter to measure the fuses in the fusebox to see which one is always on even when the engine is off and which one is only on when the engine is on, however, it was not reading any of them and I'm not sure why (it is a brand new multimeter and i tested with a battery already) I also have a hardwiring kit bought from Bestbuy that already comes with a fuse. The picture shows 3 open slots. What are those? and can i just plug it straight in one of those slots?
Since my hardwire kit comes with a fuse already, how can i connect it to add a circuit so that i can tap it into a cigar lighter/power socket etc..

Thank you!
Make sure the black test lead of your multimeter is on a good ground when checking the open fuse slots

Telcoman
silentmind (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
sounds like you are completely lost and totally have no idea as to what you are doing. although your confidence is to be acknowledged and praised i would suggest having someone who knows what they are doing to assist you in the install while at your home. explaining the procedure here may lead to more confusion and frustration as to the constant need of having a need to post back and forth communication.
silentmind (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
If an open fuse doesn't work try using one of the 15A spares. Not sure if they are just there as placeholders or if they are live so just test it out with the car off to see if it's hot. Worst case is you use a fuse tap like this guy: https://www.rexingusa.com/how-to-har...g-v1-dash-cam/
silentmind (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
you could return that install kit to Best Buy if you can't find an empty fuse slot that works. here's how i did mine ... get a Fuse Tap:

... and a female USB hard wire thing:

now just get a mini USB cable that is long enough and connect it. you now have an extra USB port under the dash for phone charging, etc.
silentmind (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:56 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
you could return that install kit to Best Buy if you can't find an empty fuse slot that works. here's how i did mine ... get a Fuse Tap:

... and a female USB hard wire thing:

now just get a mini USB cable that is long enough and connect it. you now have an extra USB port under the dash for phone charging, etc.
If he were to go that route then he's better of keeping the cable he has and just chopping off the fuse end and connect that to the tap.
silentmind (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 12:53 PM
silentmind

Thank you all for your prompt responses! The fuse that comes with the hardwire kit does not fit as i need a mini low profile one, so i guess i will just cut it off then connect it to the add a circuit fuse then tap it into maybe the cigar slot (do you think this will work b/c i dont think i can return it to Bestbuy as i have had it for over two weeks. And i don't want to buy another one. lol

@ ILM-NC G37S : Stay safe!
Old 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM
silentmind

what size of amp fuse do i need to buy?
Thanks
Old 09-13-2018, 03:02 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Thank you all for your prompt responses! The fuse that comes with the hardwire kit does not fit as i need a mini low profile one, so i guess i will just cut it off then connect it to the add a circuit fuse then tap it into maybe the cigar slot (do you think this will work b/c i dont think i can return it to Bestbuy as i have had it for over two weeks. And i don't want to buy another one. lol

@ ILM-NC G37S : Stay safe!
I don't think the cigar slot is hot so if you want it to be on all the time you'll want to use another one. Just try them out when the car is off.

what size of amp fuse do i need to buy?
Thanks
Go to your local auto store with the fuse tap and pull one of the fuses, they can help.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:48 PM
silentmind

Yeah i think i will go with the one that is only on when the car is on...don't wanna risk draining out the battery.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:35 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
This is the fuse I hooked mine up to. BUT, I use a power magic pro, that will shut off power b4 batt gets too low. Or there is a switch to turn parking mode off.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post4048553
Old 09-13-2018, 08:41 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Yeah i think i will go with the one that is only on when the car is on...don't wanna risk draining out the battery.

Thanks!
Ah ok, I must have misread. Then that'll work!

Quick Reply: Dashcam hardwiring. Please help