Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2012 G37 Journey USB port.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 10:36 PM
Crystalandmark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 G37 Journey USB port.

Should I be able to connect my IPhone 7 to the USB port via a cord ?

I’ve tried a few cords and the usb side doesn’t seem to fit.
It doesn’t appear to go all the way in and comes out way to easy.

Is this port port for some older version of USB cord ?

I’ve read that it is Ipod compatible. I want to use my phone to stream audio thru the system.

Ive written viceeousa about the WMA1000 and 2000 Bluetooth product. But still... the USB will need to fit.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:36 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I have an iPod attached via USB in my 2011without issues and the connection feels solid.

I've always been under the impression an iPhone is just an iPod that makes calls, but Infiniti doesn't mention iPhone support.

-Eric

Old 03-27-2018, 08:40 AM
Crystalandmark

I can't decide if its broke or I'm stupid !!
Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Crystalandmark
I can't decide if its broke or I'm stupid !!
It does seem a little odd....given that the car is used it may have been modified...perhaps post a picture of your USB cord's connector and the connector you are trying to plug it into and someone can help answer...
Old 03-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire
I've always been under the impression an iPhone is just an iPod that makes calls, but Infiniti doesn't mention iPhone support.

-Eric

i had an old iPhone 4S in mine for just music until i stupidly updated to IOS10, then the connection would drop when i would start the car (had to unplug and re-plug it in).

besides the fact it sounded like crap, it worked.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:15 AM
Motownmike
Registered Member

Without regarding the connection issue, which produced the best sound? Not sure from your post which one sounded like crap.
I recently purchased a 2012 G37. I use an android and I am considering switching to a iphone instead of the Grom kit.
The plug in for apple instead of bluetooth is no problem but I do want the best sound quality.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2018, 08:36 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Motownmike
Without regarding the connection issue, which produced the best sound? Not sure from your post which one sounded like crap.
I recently purchased a 2012 G37. I use an android and I am considering switching to a iphone instead of the Grom kit.
The plug in for apple instead of bluetooth is no problem but I do want the best sound quality.

Thanks
currently using my old Samsung Note 3 over Bluetooth. its rooted, which allows me to use the Viper4Android audio "enhancer" app.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2191223

there was no Apple "preset EQ" that could make the audio sound decent with an IOS device,IMHO - bass was muddy and highs sounded muffled.

after using Viper4Android to tweak the audio, i'm pretty sure its the EQ the BOSE amp is applying that kills the sound. IOS doesn't offer enough adjustability to overcome this. there are IOS music apps with more audio processing power, but i tried probably 8 of them, and none of them play well with the factory headunit - album art/song info usually jacked up, and many of them will default back to the stock IOS music player the next time you start the car.

i have the headunit bass and treble set to the middle, and adjusted the V4A 10-band EQ and other settings to taste. the factory BOSE speakers actually sound pretty good to me (i added a powered sub) when given some decent audio to play ....
Old 03-31-2018, 08:48 AM
Motownmike
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick replay.
I don't have NAV so our issues may differ somewhat.
I have Bluetooth capability for phone calls but not music.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:47 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick replay.
I don't have NAV so our issues may differ somewhat.
I have Bluetooth capability for phone calls but not music.
you're stuck with ipod/iphone then. im a little hesistant on the GROM Vline, because i ordered their cable that would allow Android units to be seen as IOS devices, and the song info/album art was all messed up and the audio dropped out a LOT. i dont feel like tearing my dash apart multiple times while i beta test their Vline device.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Crystalandmark

Is this what is should look like ?

Old 03-31-2018, 04:55 PM
Crystalandmark

Originally Posted by Crystalandmark

Old 03-31-2018, 04:57 PM
Crystalandmark

Oy

i can’t even seem to load pics on here. Maybe I’m the problem.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:19 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
No wonder you can't insert the cable- that port is toast. The pins are all bent up and smashed.

Replace the jack and you should be good to go.

p/n: 284H3-1FA0B
$61.42 from discountinfinitiparts.com, though you might find one cheaper/used off eBay.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 04-01-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Part Number/Pricing
Old 04-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Motownmike
Registered Member

I tried the Bovee 1000 as a last ditch effort. I could not get my head unit to recognize it.
I can play my ipad when directly connected to the usb and I have tested iphones through the usb and they work fine for music
I am just going to convert to an iphone from my Android and use my bluetooth for phone calls.
It's no big deal to connect directly to the usb with a cable. Hey it's not like this is a big car and I'm connecting from the third row seat.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

I tried the Bovee 1000 as a last ditch effort. I could not get my head unit to recognize it.
I can play my ipad when directly connected to the usb and I have tested iphones through the usb and they work fine for music
I am just going to convert to an iphone from my Android and use my bluetooth for phone calls.
It's no big deal to connect directly to the usb with a cable. Hey it's not like this is a big car and I'm connecting from the third row seat.
just get an old iPhone/iPod to leave in the armrest for just music. hell, i'll sell you mine ...

Quick Reply: 2012 G37 Journey USB port.