Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

remote starter - Fortin evo-nist1

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Shekaar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got one of these kits from my GF for Christmas, so I'm glad to hear people have had some success getting it installed! I'm very much looking forward to installing it, though I need a mild day to do so and it's looking COLD for the near future.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 AM
TurboRegal84
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fortin install is pretty easy. Rather than using wire taps I soldered the wires. It ensures a better connection IMO.

The hardest part about the install for me was figuring out you need to pull back the white part of the connector at the BCM connection for the pins to be able to slide in. I also needed to extend the wires to make it to the BCM. You definitely want to install the wires going to it so when/if the remote start times out it will re-lock the car.

It is not a hard install but there are alot of wires in the Fortin kit so it can be a little overwhelming at first. Took me about 2.5 hours taking my time.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 AM
mcola
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that soldering is better, but I didn't want to cut the wires and have to contort under the dash with a soldering iron. Yes, getting that white clip to peel back to stick in those couple wires at the BCM was tricky. The wires were long enough to reach without extending them (maybe they started making them longer based on feedback).
Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 AM
mcola
Registered Member

And reinstalling the push start buttons connector was a real PITA!!!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:34 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
You must have used some big connectors or something.

Every part of this install was painless.
No issues with the push to start button.
All the harnesses are easy to read and easy to install.

Programming is step by step.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:01 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just got mine installed today. Everything is fine except...
1. Trunk won't pop with fob after starting the car remotely. It works if the car is off, dash button anytime, and external trunk button, just the fob is not working. Maybe this is by design?
2. The center screen is dimmed when I get in the car. When I push the brake I can hear some relays (expected) and the screen goes bright-dim-bright (normal) and the LED on the HVAC control blinks in the same manner (on-off-on). Is this normal operation? We installed the same unit in my father-in-laws G 2 weeks ago and I don't remember this happening. I'll grab a video and try to upload. I did not connect the green and white door wires yet. I was having issues getting the white piece to pull off.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 PM
mcola
Registered Member

1. Mine is the same. I think I called Fortin and they confirmed its by design, and can't recall if they said it was an oversight or deliberate.
2. I get the relays clicking but have never noticed anything with dimming lights, etc.
Refresh my memory, what are the green/white door wires for?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:23 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
1. The car thinks it is running, with the doors locked. I don't think you can pop the trunk on the G unless it is in park and a door is open, or the engine isn't running. The Fortin doesn't re-write how the G BCM works. Try unlocking your doors first, but if that doesn't work you may need a door open to pop trunk with remote whilst running (you can try this on any G, doesn't matter if it has a Fortin or not)

2. Fortin uses PARK lights to indicate what it's doing. So, if the lights are off in your car and you get in it and put your foot on the brake, the Fortin flashes the PARK lights (the sound you hear is the PARK light relay) to indicate it is transferring over, and you see that because your dash lights dim when your PARK lights turn on. If you remote start your car and the lights are on because of AUTO at night, then you won't see the dash lights dim, but you'll hear the relay anyways.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:35 AM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I installed one of these in my X coupe over the holidays. Works good.
My doorlock wires to the bcm are purple and purple white.
I like the valet switch to kill the unit when I want to.
The guides and helps and options list for the module need to be cleaned up and focused for the standalone installation. Too much info for the other installs included. That is my only complaint.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by takemorepills
1. The car thinks it is running, with the doors locked. I don't think you can pop the trunk on the G unless it is in park and a door is open, or the engine isn't running. The Fortin doesn't re-write how the G BCM works. Try unlocking your doors first, but if that doesn't work you may need a door open to pop trunk with remote whilst running (you can try this on any G, doesn't matter if it has a Fortin or not)

2. Fortin uses PARK lights to indicate what it's doing. So, if the lights are off in your car and you get in it and put your foot on the brake, the Fortin flashes the PARK lights (the sound you hear is the PARK light relay) to indicate it is transferring over, and you see that because your dash lights dim when your PARK lights turn on. If you remote start your car and the lights are on because of AUTO at night, then you won't see the dash lights dim, but you'll hear the relay anyways.
That makes sense, you are correct in that if the auto lights kick on it doesn't cycle. I've attached a video. It seems like only the screen dims during flash, not the gauge cluster. You can also see toward the end of the video the delay in the dimming compared to the gauge cluster (I was cycling the lights on/off). If this is normal I'm ok with it, but it seems odd.