Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

current ipod/iphone charge adapter for older models

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 03:39 PM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
current ipod/iphone charge adapter for older models

Searching everywhere i could only find older posts about charge adapters. Trying to find those adapters on amazon isnt really working. The scosche seems to no longer be available and the cable jive one im seeing just looks like a dock extender not a charge adapter.

So whats the 2017 situation for using older ipods in older G37s and still be able to charge off the stock ipod cable?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Sure it depends on your vehicle and iPod.

I have a 2011 with navigation using an OEM Apple 30 pin on an older iPod touch (no camera) without issue.

-Eric
Old 03-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoer
Searching everywhere i could only find older posts about charge adapters. Trying to find those adapters on amazon isnt really working. The scosche seems to no longer be available and the cable jive one im seeing just looks like a dock extender not a charge adapter.

So whats the 2017 situation for using older ipods in older G37s and still be able to charge off the stock ipod cable?
I'm going to piggyback on your year old post and document what I have currently and what does/doesn't work.

As you said, the Scosche Passport, the iSimple Charge adapter and the CableJive units are either discontinued or difficult to find. I had one of each but soon found that the current demands on the larger/newer phones will quickly kill all of these devices. The apple 30pin to lightening adapters will not supply power to the IOS device and are only usable in situations where you do not need your device powered externally. while in the car. Further, I have experienced a lot of frustration where the iPhone will show that it is being charged, but the car will not acknowledge the connection. This could be due to the fact that the IOS device uses logic in the device to detect which orientation the lightening connector has been inserted. One user said that it seems the phone is confused but after leaving it plugged in for awhile, the phone "figured it out" it worked as expected. I have not confirmed this theory but given the philosophy of Apple to provide a product that is cute and fuzzy over something that is technically superior; it doesn't surprise me. As far as using one of the Bluetooth dongles to couple the phone to the car I have experimented with the Bovee1000 and as much as it does what is says (sort of) I do have some complaints.
  1. The connection is not as reliable as I would like. (There is sometimes skipping of the music)
  2. The cigerette lighter USB adaptor I used would not power down the Bovee1000 when the vehicle was turned off. Not sure if this is an issue with the car, the Bovee device or the USB adapter, but after waking to a dead battery, Ive decided this will require further examination.
  3. Prompt and accurate operation of the IOS device via the Bovee was hit or miss. Often when moving forward through a playlist, the iPhone would refuse to play the next track and instead replay the current track. The reaction time was sluggish as well.
I did play around with the iPhone and after synching through iTunes (UGH) The track skip and repeat issue was resolved. Not sure if this is an sync issue using non itunes media manager or whether my last sync with Media Monkey was corrupted. Again, this will require more testing operations to determine the cause and effect of this issue more completely.

Where this has left me is the concept of creating my own USB 5V power injected IOS cable/dongle for my 2008 G37 and using this with the apple 30pin to lightening converter. I may have to add additional signal grounds to ensure the handshaking between the Infinity head unit an the iPhone is more reliable but I don't see this as technically daunting; just tedious and time consuming. For the time being, I have dusted off my fourth generation iPod and am using is flawlessly in the car. Ironically, it works perfectly whether I've used iTunes or MediaMonkey to sync the device.

In as much as I have started to gather documentation/information on the 30 pin connector versus the Lightening connector with the 5V USB power, I believe all that is required is to provide a 5V regulated power source to the original Infinity iPod dongle. The theory is to cannibalize a car USB adapter and wire the output directly into the iPod dongle. I believe the correct pin on the 30 pin harness for the USB 5V is 23. Pin 16 is the USB Ground. Once I get a proof of concept prototype working, Ill update the post with my results. Don't hold your breath as I don't expect to have a lot of time to devote to this