Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2014 Q60 GPS question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Wayfun

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Q60 GPS question

I want to preload several routes into my gps for an upcoming trip. I know I can build routes and store them in advance. However, it is a very cumbersome process. Is there a way to build the routes with mapping software like googlemaps and then upload the files? I do that for my Garmin motorcycle GPS. Just wondering if that functionality is buried somewhere in the menus. So far I haven't found it. It would be great if you could put the route files on a thumb drive and then upload them via the usb port.

Dennis
Old 07-10-2017, 01:15 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
What you're looking for does not exist in the stock nav system. I use a driveluxe 50 for my road trips. Design the route in mapsource then upload to the gps. I have it mounted in the lower left corner of the windshield. Very unintrusive and greatly superior to the stock gps. This unit even has data for red light/speed cameras.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
even the very latest factory map update is probably using data that is a year or two old ... i use Waze on my phone - it accounts for traffic conditions, accidents, etc.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I don't believe waze lets you do custom routes. Nor is waze any good in areas of no signal. Any method that involves having to work on the device itself will be clunky. Google maps lets you do multipoint routing (either on the computer or phone). Still, I don't think it's as granular as the garmin software. Nor less portable.