Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 02:31 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, weren't you having TPMS issues on another post? My TPMS light came on after installing VL2. Did that ever resolve?
Old 07-01-2018, 02:35 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jdjurado
Also, weren't you having TPMS issues on another post? My TPMS light came on after installing VL2. Did that ever resolve?
My TPMS issue was an actual issue (bad valve stem).

I reset my Airbag light with this link:

And I have reset my TPMS system via this method before: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-for-free.html
Old 07-01-2018, 02:48 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Ah ok! Thanks for the info. If it doesn’t reset itself after driving a bit, I’ll try the relearn procedure from the link.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 PM
JSylvia007

@gromaudio - Thanks so much for having support reach out. All is resolved.

So everyone knows, the cables were fine, BUT, I had a hardware configuration issue inside the unit itself.. I needed to change some "dip" switches. Then everything worked perfectly. Man this unit is FAST.

<SOLVED> Second question... How do I go about getting an RMA / Refund for my VL1 unit? I assume there is something special, since this isn't a normal situation. I submitted an RMA and everything went as expected. Returned the unit and am awaiting my full refund. Painless.

Last edited by JSylvia007; 07-05-2018 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Updated for RMA Info
Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 PM
JSylvia007

Continuing saga! My impressions with the VL2 unit are very positive. This is what the V1 should have been! It's extremely responsive and has the feeling of a polished project.

I'm having an interesting issue that I didn't have with the VL1 Unit. I have a Viper SmartStart remote car starter. When I cold-start (when the car has been off for several hours) the car using the Viper, the VL2 doesn't power on, and I need to power off the whole car, wait 10 seconds, and then power it on. Then everything is fine. Then, as long as the car is "warm" (less than about an hour between starts", it works perfectly fine.

I will be submitting an support request about this as well. I'm not exactly sure if this issue is present when I start the car with the push button. It's been crazy hot and humid in the Northeast, so I've been taking advantage of the remote start. I will be sure to specifically check this out tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:46 PM
enigmacarpc
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JSylvia007
So... Did you change out the cables, because I specifically asked Grom if the cables are 100% compatible, and when I insert the V2, none of the buttons on my dash work - AT ALL - including the climate, power button, etc. When I swap back in the V1, everything works fine...

All other features of the V2 appear to work, I've installed some apps, and I've been tinkering, but without the hardware buttons, and the fact that it kills my climate control, I may be finally completely done with these guys...
I am using the existing cables the only issue I have is that my up and down track skip function on the steering wheel does not work all the car climate and radio functions work in and out of Vline.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:50 PM
enigmacarpc
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdjurado
I just installed my VL2 but the CarPlay plugin appears to be inactive. Is there a trick to enabling it??
Sorry for the late reply don't know if you got this fixed but all you have to do is keep hitting enable on the Carplay options
The following users liked this post:
knyghtfire (11-09-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:40 AM
pburger
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I installed the Grom Vline 2 in my 2013 G37 Vert on July 4. I am using it primarily for audio books(Audible), and Waze, but I'm looking forward to doing more with it. I'm happy with it now, but I had some growing pains over the last week:

My main goal was to be able to have Waze on my factory screen, and still be able to stream bluetooth and keep hands-free phone calls like before. I didn't want any wires hanging out, and I didn't want to have to push a bunch of buttons every time I got in the car to go somewhere. I wanted this to be as seamless as possible.

I planned on tethering my iPhone 6s for the Internet connection. I tried tethering via WIFI at first, but there are two problems with this: 1. Every time I got in the car I had to turn "Personal Hotspot" off and then on on the iPhone to get it to tether.- ANNOYING. 2. When connected via WIFI the bluetooth audio was choppy -- UNACCEPTABLE.

I then realized I could tether to my phone with Bluetooth. I went into Vline bluetooth settings and selected my paired phone and then checked the box "use for internet". Voila! That worked. Internet and audio streaming, no sound quality issues! But wait!! It seems that sometimes Bluetooth is turned off when I start the car, and when I try to turn it on, it won't turn on! And sometimes, bluetooth is on, but the "use for internet" checkbox is not checked. It's not retaining the setting. ANNOYING.

SOLUTION: I downloaded the app "Bluetooth Auto Connect", and now, when I start the car, the Vline tethers to my iPhone via Bluetooth AUTOMATICALLY!! It takes 10-20 seconds, but it does connect. I don't have to touch anything! I keep the Personal Hotspot on the phone turned on all the time. I can leave WIFI off, because this is strictly a Bluetooth connection.

CARPLAY?? Now that I have everything working great, I just realized that Vline has a Plugin called "Apple Carplay". WHAT!? Apparently I've been living under a rock. I thought they were advertising a "Carplay-like" experience, but it looks like they have Carplay. I've now found some videos showing Carplay on the old Vline 1 system. I have no idea how to set up or use Carplay. I guess that will be the next thing I need to try.

POSSIBLE PROBLEM: Shortly after installing the Vline 2 I started getting the TPMS warning light. It's blinking slow for 1 minute after start and then going steady which indicates a sensor or system problem. I'm not a big believer in coincidences, and I saw at least one other post where someone had an issue with their TPMS after a Vline install. I'm wondering what's up with that!?
The following users liked this post:
steelercmc (07-13-2019)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:21 AM
Kaighal
Registered Member

Hello GROM and users

Having received my VL2 unit a few weeks ago, I had it installed last week. Good news, it's working and it feels awesome to have Waze and Spotify directly integrated into the car !

Before writing a full review, I have some issues :
  • the "****" (I think that's the name of the rotating button) only works clockwise, it scrolls down but then does not work when I want to scroll back up (counter-clockwise).
  • the wheel track buttons are reversed (I get the next track while pressing up instead of down). The buttons on the console in the middle of the car work as intended.
  • I was expecting Android 7.1 as mentioned in an email message from the 9th of May. The unit I have is using Android 5 and I found no way to upgrade it even though I did all the OTA updates etc.
  • when using the GROM voice command button, the text is still labeled in English but is being read in French (which is the language I am using). It is hard to explain, for instance it will say "navigate to" as if those were French words. It is not dramatic but it sounds silly.
  • the hardware cables are so long that the installer could not put them behind the middle unit. They are in the glove box with the VL2 unit, and are taking so much room that I had to take the big Infiniti instructions booklet out.
Please let me know how any fix / solution.

Also, I would be happy to know of user "tips" for VL2, such as a different launcher or Android apps that work nicely with it. So far, the only one I found is the "carspot wifi" app that I have installed on my phone, it triggers tethering as soon as a bluetooth connection is established with the car and closes it when the connection stops.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:10 PM
JSylvia007

Originally Posted by Kaighal
Also, I would be happy to know of user "tips" for VL2, such as a different launcher or Android apps that work nicely with it. So far, the only one I found is the "carspot wifi" app that I have installed on my phone, it triggers tethering as soon as a bluetooth connection is established with the car and closes it when the connection stops.
If you look through this thread I've detailed my setup which also works with the VL2.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Kaighal
Registered Member

Smile

If you look through this thread I've detailed my setup which also works with the VL2.
Ah, yes, I thought I had read such tips somewhere, thanks for reminding me. I have a few extra questions for you then, if you don't mind
  • Are you also stuck with Android 5 ?
  • Your button mapper app : does it allow you to use buttons like "Dest" (the one that normally opens the OEM GPS) ? If so, does it only prevent the car from opening the OEM GPS when you're on the GROM Aux, and keeps the default function otherwise ? Does it also work when pushing a button twice or holding it, as advertised ? Finally, do you think it can solve my issues with the rotating switch and the reversed wheel track buttons (and do you have these issues too) ?
  • The Apex launcher : can it be uninstalled easily to get the default VL2 launcher back if needed or do you need to download the default launcher again, or even reset the VL2 unit to factory settings ?
  • Have you done / found out anything else that you haven't mentioned yet on this topic ?
Old 08-01-2018, 01:45 PM
JSylvia007

Ah, yes, I thought I had read such tips somewhere, thanks for reminding me. I have a few extra questions for you then, if you don't mind
  • Are you also stuck with Android 5 ?
  • Your button mapper app : does it allow you to use buttons like "Dest" (the one that normally opens the OEM GPS) ? If so, does it only prevent the car from opening the OEM GPS when you're on the GROM Aux, and keeps the default function otherwise ? Does it also work when pushing a button twice or holding it, as advertised ? Finally, do you think it can solve my issues with the rotating switch and the reversed wheel track buttons (and do you have these issues too) ?
  • The Apex launcher : can it be uninstalled easily to get the default VL2 launcher back if needed or do you need to download the default launcher again, or even reset the VL2 unit to factory settings ?
  • Have you done / found out anything else that you haven't mentioned yet on this topic ?
I am indeed still stuck on Android 5. Gromnsays they're actively working on Android 7. We shall see. In my opinion, they finally got everything sorted out with the V2 hardware.

The button mapper does not have the ability to trap the "dest", etc. buttons. It only has the ability to map the media-related buttons. Perhaps Grom could capture more buttons, but I believe that would need to be firmware update. I'm not sure of the architecture there. It also doesn't solve the **** issue of only working in 1 direction, something that has also been an issue since the V1 hardware. It does work for long-press and double tap scenarios on most of the media buttons. The behavior is querky but I've gotten something that works for me.

Apex launcher can be easily removed and the other launcher just takes right back over. No issues there.

Currently, no I haven't done anything additional, although I plan to see what else can be done once we get our hands on Android 7.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Continuing saga! My impressions with the VL2 unit are very positive. This is what the V1 should have been! It's extremely responsive and has the feeling of a polished project..
Not sure I could agree that the VLine series is polished. The graphics are hokey and look like something from Romper Room. Its the poor integration that swayed me to return the unit
Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 AM
JSylvia007

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Not sure I could agree that the VLine series is polished. The graphics are hokey and look like something from Romper Room. Its the poor integration that swayed me to return the unit
Perhaps you're right, but I never really judge the software on the device. All of these manufacturers miss the mark on the software piece. It's why I ripped out the provided launcher, etc. The hardware is certainly more polished as compared to V1.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
  • when using the GROM voice command button, the text is still labeled in English but is being read in French (which is the language I am using). It is hard to explain, for instance it will say "navigate to" as if those were French words. It is not dramatic but it sounds silly.
For our international users, you can contribute translating to your language:
https://gromaudio.oneskyapp.com/coll...oject?id=53889

Thank you for using VLine and providing your feedback, we always listen and will do our best to improve our technology

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience