Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Cleaning headrest speaker cover

Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Cleaning headrest speaker cover

So in the 'vert, we've got the Bose speakers built into the headrests. Well after extensive time with the top down, the outsides of the speaker cover (driver left and passenger right) have become dirty/dingy. Anyone got some tips on cleaning?
Old 02-27-2017, 04:24 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Was thinking about taking a sponge to it with some soapy water..

Although, I haven't heard any sound coming out of those - don't know if it's because of my hearing or there is an issue - but as of right now those speakers seem completely useless to me.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kiseliok
I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Was thinking about taking a sponge to it with some soapy water..

Although, I haven't heard any sound coming out of those - don't know if it's because of my hearing or there is an issue - but as of right now those speakers seem completely useless to me.

Yeah, I didn't know if that would just spread it more and make it worse

Also, they're turned on after the top's been let down and the audio is turned why up. I never hear them either because the other speakers are loud enough.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trezzay
Yeah, I didn't know if that would just spread it more and make it worse

Also, they're turned on after the top's been let down and the audio is turned why up. I never hear them either because the other speakers are loud enough.
There's a setting in the Audio menu where you can adjust the bias of the headrest speakers. I had to make them louder from the factory default setting before they started helping.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by _tjp_
There's a setting in the Audio menu where you can adjust the bias of the headrest speakers. I had to make them louder from the factory default setting before they started helping.
I've fiddled with something like that before, but it made no difference.... about to go check it out again. Thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Don't remember seeing anything in the settings about these speakers .. I'll have to take another look.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kiseliok
Don't remember seeing anything in the settings about these speakers .. I'll have to take another look.
So I took a look and the only additional setting I saw was the surround sound setting. Tested it both maxed out and minimized and i couldn't hear the difference from the radio
Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 AM
Autocutter
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, just change the front/rear bias to favor the rear over the front, then turn off the auto volume setting. To clean the the speaker mesh, I use the product 'Tuff Stuff' and a tooth brush, but don't spray the mesh just dampen the tooth brush then vacuum off the mesh. Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
Trezzay (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:03 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Originally Posted by Autocutter
Yup, just change the front/rear bias to favor the rear over the front, then turn off the auto volume setting. To clean the the speaker mesh, I use the product 'Tuff Stuff' and a tooth brush, but don't spray the mesh just dampen the tooth brush then vacuum off the mesh. Hope that helps!
Thanks! I'll give it a go. This winter has been quite nice so the top's been down almost every day.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:31 AM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Autocutter
Thanks so much! Going to try the audio settings later on today. I'll grab some Tuff Stuff this weekend.

~Amos~
Old 02-28-2017, 01:43 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trezzay
So I took a look and the only additional setting I saw was the surround sound setting. Tested it both maxed out and minimized and i couldn't hear the difference from the radio
The top needs to be down for this. Did you have the top down when you tested it?
Overall, it's a subtle difference - the audio level never gets high enough to blast out from the headrests, but it does make a difference.
As an example, if I have the radio on when i lower or raise the top, the audio does a quick reset as it changes modes and I can definitely hear the difference.
The following users liked this post:
Trezzay (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Trezzay
Registered Member

The top needs to be down for this. Did you have the top down when you tested it?
Overall, it's a subtle difference - the audio level never gets high enough to blast out from the headrests, but it does make a difference.
As an example, if I have the radio on when i lower or raise the top, the audio does a quick reset as it changes modes and I can definitely hear the difference.
Yeah I tested with the top down but didn't try it with the auto volume thing turned off. I'll also test with opening and closing the top. I know it changes the sound, I just need to pay closer attention.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 PM
rdog
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I was driving my vert around yesterday with the top up and recalled this thread so I messed with the audio settings. I cupped my hand behind one of the head rest speakers and could hear music coming out of the speaker. I turned the surround sound setting all the way down and I could no longer hear the music coming from the speaker. I then turned the setting all the way back up and could hear music coming from the headreast speaker again....just thought I'd chime in.
The following 2 users liked this post by rdog:
kiseliok (03-06-2017), Trezzay (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rdog
I was driving my vert around yesterday with the top up and recalled this thread so I messed with the audio settings. I cupped my hand behind one of the head rest speakers and could hear music coming out of the speaker. I turned the surround sound setting all the way down and I could no longer hear the music coming from the speaker. I then turned the setting all the way back up and could hear music coming from the headreast speaker again....just thought I'd chime in.
Thanks rdog. I think it's sad that we have to cup the headrests to hear sound come out. I wonder if anyone has done a mod to make them louder

Search this Thread