Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Homelink Issues

Old 01-29-2017, 10:47 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelink Issues

I have a 2008 G37S. When I first bought the car, I was able to successfully program the homelink to work. Recently I had to replace the garage motor. Now when I try to program homelink it doesn't work. Here is the sequence of steps that I have performed as written in the owners manual.

1. Hold the first and third homelink buttons until the light flashes to clear the memory.
2. Select the homelink button you wish to operate that specific door and simultaneously depress that button and the button on your garage opener. The manual says to hold for up to 90 seconds until the flashing changes from slow to fast. For me the flashing goes from flashing slow to the light going out completely.
3. Since item 2 failed I then hit the "learn" button on the back of the garage motor and immediately run to the inside of the car and depress the homelink button firmly a few times but unfortunately that does not work either.

I've also noticed that the color of the light on the rear view mirror is red for the most part but on a few occasions it did turn green. Not sure if that means anything.

Any suggestions that anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2017, 10:52 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

....one more thing. Not sure if you need to turn the car's accessories on while programming the homelink or not. It is not stated in the owners manual and I believe I didn't have to do that previously
Old 01-29-2017, 10:59 AM
LateApex

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you indeed just replace the opener *motor*, as in the electric motor inside the opener, or the whole opener mechanism itself?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

The whole motor...the unit that is bolted to the ceiling of your garage
Old 01-29-2017, 11:34 AM
LateApex

OK, by "motor", I thought you meant that you tore apart the old "opener" and replaced the actual electric motor. Just wanted to make sure...

So it's probably a newer unit than the one that was replaced. If so... the Homelink in our cars is not necessarily compatible with the new openers.

Check out this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...-opener-2.html

I don't know what brand you have or if this applies to brands other than Chamberlain (who also make most Craftsman openers, I think) or Liftmaster. Also... I don't think they're giving out the bridge for free any longer. A buddy of mine recently replaced his opener and ran into the same issue. He called and either didn't qualify (based on your year and model car) or they've discontinued the program altogether.

If it's a Chamberlain/Liftmaster (and possibly Craftsman), this might be what you need:

https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-85...rlain+repeater
Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

Thanks. It is definitely a Liftmaster.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Liftmaster will send you the module for free if you call them
Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Liftmaster will send you the module for free if you call them
Great...I will do that then....Thanks for the tip!!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:20 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

It's a clicker and wall module that talks to your opener. So you sync the home link with the module clicker. Btw the module clicker will not open your door it is just a bridge so put the plug in as near as possible to the opener
Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM
LateApex

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
It's a clicker and wall module that talks to your opener. So you sync the home link with the module clicker. Btw the module clicker will not open your door it is just a bridge so put the plug in as near as possible to the opener
I don't think it's that sensitive. I have mine plugged into a power strip that's mounted on the pole in the middle of the garage, between the two openers. Works fine with both. I had it plugged into an outlet on the back garage wall as well, before I put up storage between the double and single stalls. Worked great there, as well. I couldn't really get any farther away, and still be in the garage.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:19 PM
kennyk11
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my case, I replaced my automatic gate receiver with the Liftmaster 850LM Universal Gate & Garage Door Opener Receiver, so the option to use a repeater really doesnt work for me. The reciever etc. is outside by the gate, so no where to plug in a repeater.
DO you guys think it makes sense to purchase a later homelink rearview mirror on ebay (they have them for pretty cheap)...like a 2014 Q60 homelink mirror.. there's a few listed for under 50$... do you think it would be compatible with my 09 G37 and the new Liftmaster receiver?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:23 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Can't you tap the power to the gate to install an outlet then put a weather box around it
Old 07-23-2017, 01:21 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
If the antenna coming from your garage door opener is YELLOW, it will not work with older model Infiniti's (IIRC 2010 and down). If the antenna is black, it will work with all models up. Found that out when I had to replace my Chamberlain opener which no longer worked with my 09X coupe. There is a wall mountable "gateway" that you can purchase for about $25.00 though.

David
Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Liftmaster is soon going to stop giving free gateway bridges and start charging

Search this Thread