Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Upgrading Non-Bose speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:32 PM
WhiteWater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrading Non-Bose speakers

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information regarding upgrading the stereo in our cars. At least for the Non-Bose models.

Hoping maybe some of you can help me out.

I am wanting to replace the door speakers/tweeter and add a subwoofer. For the BOSE models its fairly simple as you can access everything you need from the BOSE amp. The Non-Bose has the amp integrated into the head unit itself.

From my research it SEEMS to be like this....

Use Metra harnesses from behind headunit to get access to speaker level inputs. Using these inputs to feed into a processor or LOC and then running RCA's from LOC/Processor to your amps.

Is this correct?

So it would be -
Harnesses -> LOC/Processor -> Amps -> Passive X-Overs (if using LOC) -> Speakers (For the front stage)

and LOC/Processor -> Amp -> Subwoofer
Old 09-21-2016, 08:24 PM
WhiteWater

I know someone out here knows the answer to this one for sure.... lol
Old 09-21-2016, 08:42 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't have any g37 specific knowledge for your question, but your basic theory is correct.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:15 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I was pretty sure I had a write up along with which wires to tap into.

Search my user name

I recommend this site for mid and tweeter adapters. Quality products

PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made
Old 09-28-2016, 07:05 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Your theory is correct. You use a Y harness that allows you to run RCAs to an external amplifier, that then powers your individual speakers. As for what speakers/amplifiers to run, that all depends on your budget.

A few things to keep in mind are the baffles to mount the new speakers, sound deadening, and an electrical upgrade depending on how crazy you want to go. As for a subwoofer, that comes down to if you want a box, or a custom made enclosure utilizing your trunk wall, or spare tire well. I never recommend factory rear deck 6x9 locations as it drastically limits your potential.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:16 PM
WhiteWater

Blaze I did find a few posts of yours that helped out a lot. I think I have the main idea down now. I just need to make up my mind on what components I want now. I have the harnesses, LOC (might replace with processor), sub amp, 10" Revo woofer. Still need to get sound deadening, seal the doors, buy components, and front stage amp.

I have always gone through the molex like you did but I am not sure I want to go through that hassle on this car or not.