Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

iPod cable ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:48 AM
jk315
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
iPod cable ?

I just got an 08 g37s coupe yesterday from carmax w the technology and navigation. But I don't see a cable in the console..I'm assuming it came w one to have the iPod hookup? If so where do I get this cable and what is it called. Thanks in advance !
Old 03-16-2016, 10:52 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
You need one of these cables, which unfortunately they only make in 30-pin connector (old style) because the car is old. You can buy a series of adapters to make it work for the newer models (lightning style).

Also it's worth noting that you can't buy a regular USB or AUX cable to connect to the iPod interface because it is proprietary, meaning it only accepts a special cable made by Infiniti.

Infiniti Factory iPod/iPhone Adapter Cable - 2008-2009 G35 G37 | Infiniti Part Number 284H2-1BA0B
Old 03-16-2016, 11:13 AM
jk315
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the93owner
You need one of these cables, which unfortunately they only make in 30-pin connector (old style) because the car is old. You can buy a series of adapters to make it work for the newer models (lightning style).

Also it's worth noting that you can't buy a regular USB or AUX cable to connect to the iPod interface because it is proprietary, meaning it only accepts a special cable made by Infiniti.

Infiniti Factory iPod/iPhone Adapter Cable - 2008-2009 G35 G37 | Infiniti Part Number 284H2-1BA0B
Oh damn, so Carmax really jipped me by not including this cable, $30 plus $15 shipping, ouch.....that really sucks.....any other off brand ones that are decent I'm wondering instead of OEM.....?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jk315
Oh damn, so Carmax really jipped me by not including this cable, $30 plus $15 shipping, ouch.....that really sucks.....any other off brand ones that are decent I'm wondering instead of OEM.....?
I'm sure any brand would do the job, I only linked you to the OEM part so you know what to look for. Maybe check Amazon? That way you could bundle with an adapter, if you need one, so you can use your newer-gen iPod/iPhone and maybe get free shipping.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM
jk315
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the93owner
I'm sure any brand would do the job, I only linked you to the OEM part so you know what to look for. Maybe check Amazon? That way you could bundle with an adapter, if you need one, so you can use your newer-gen iPod/iPhone and maybe get free shipping.
I was just gonna buy a cheap one off craigslist or something, Im a samsung guy, like apples too, but just have a Note 3 but its AT&T carrier and apparently thats the only carrier you can't link to the OEM bluetooth system? I don't understand it quite honest. I tried to sync them today and it says no phone found......but yeah I was looking at like a 4th generation ipod touch I can get one for like $30-40....is there a certain one too avoid? Thanks for all the input
Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

I was just gonna buy a cheap one off craigslist or something, Im a samsung guy, like apples too, but just have a Note 3 but its AT&T carrier and apparently thats the only carrier you can't link to the OEM bluetooth system? I don't understand it quite honest. I tried to sync them today and it says no phone found......but yeah I was looking at like a 4th generation ipod touch I can get one for like $30-40....is there a certain one too avoid? Thanks for all the input
I believe the iPod interface only works for iPod/iPhone, so if you want to buy the cable to use for music I don't think it will work for Android.

As far as bluetooth goes, I'm not sure. I use an iPhone lol. Your phone might be too new for the system to recognize?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:24 PM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Look in your trunk and grab the leather zipper bag with the manual in it. Thats where mine was, still in the OEM packaging. The original owner never used it.

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2016, 12:34 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Best solution is to just buy an old ipod touch and leave it in the center console until you want to add music to it. I personally like the integrated music system and my LGG2 never played that well with the bluetooth anyway. I always had a tiny bit of static/feedback in the background.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:43 PM
jk315
Registered Member

Originally Posted by -SnowMan-
Look in your trunk and grab the leather zipper bag with the manual in it. Thats where mine was, still in the OEM packaging. The original owner never used it.
Yeah I just looked in there, sucks wasn't so lucky. Oh well. Guess I'll have to find the best knockoff cable that doesn't mess with the sound quality. I'm not paying $45 shipped for a cable for now at least LOL..... just want to be able to take full advantage of my options considering it has everything in it, sports, premium,navi, and technology packages. Trying to figure this all out

Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
Best solution is to just buy an old ipod touch and leave it in the center console until you want to add music to it. I personally like the integrated music system and my LGG2 never played that well with the bluetooth anyway. I always had a tiny bit of static/feedback in the background.
Yeah that's exactly my intention just leave the ipod in the console and use the interface to scroll thru it for songs.....just need that stupid special ipod infiniti cord since they didn't include it with mine, prob got lost previous owner or in the transfer who knows.....ughhh...
Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah I just looked in there, sucks wasn't so lucky. Oh well. Guess I'll have to find the best knockoff cable that doesn't mess with the sound quality. I'm not paying $45 shipped for a cable for now at least LOL..... just want to be able to take full advantage of my options considering it has everything in it, sports, premium,navi, and technology packages. Trying to figure this all out

Yeah that's exactly my intention just leave the ipod in the console and use the interface to scroll thru it for songs.....just need that stupid special ipod infiniti cord since they didn't include it with mine, prob got lost previous owner or in the transfer who knows.....ughhh...
Definitely annoying that you have to deal with this for the 08. Still, even if you have to spring for the OEM cable, $45 isn't that much for something you're going to use every day for at least a few years. Positivity!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:26 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Depending on the model of your i-Device you may also have to get an adapter so it charges. Apple changed the power pins on the 30 pin several years ago so you might also need a 30=>30 pin adapter so the i_device will charge.

Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 07-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Cale.Mahan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 part numbers

I need this cable too for my 2009 G37x coupe w/premium package but there are 2 different part numers as options. Can someone inform me as to which I need please; 284h2-1ba0b or 284H2-ZT50A? A short explanation would be great as well as I've found no help from infiniti or online. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:45 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Look in the audio/visual/electronics forum.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
This is why I keep old iphones. I still use first and 2nd gen iPods. I got 2 ipod videos backed up for when these die and I dont want to replace the battery or hdd again
Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
I have an '08 with tech and nav. Buy the OEM iPod cable then this:
Amazon Amazon

Love mine and it sounds good with no distortion or breaking up. My only complaint is that it won't always connect automatically (eventually does) but it works a majority of the time. In order for the artist and song name to show you must have at least one song in your iTunes library (assuming you have an iPhone). I recently discovered after deleting my songs from my iPhone that it will no longer display the artist/song name. Also a small thing I noticed is that sometimes I have to switch between "map" and "status" once for my steering wheel controls to kick in and work. All of these things I've learned to live with for 2 years now and I wouldn't use any other solution for music.

Quick Reply: iPod cable ?