Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Battery Drain Issue

Hey guys, I was having this issue and was wondering if anyone had experienced it as well. My car developed a parasitic drain. They did the diagnostic at the dealership and narrowed it down to the actual radio itself. They said that it stays on even if that car is off. Not on completely though cause I never saw it powered even with the car being off. Unfortunately I spliced into the rear deck to add a subwoofer and now they are saying that I voided my warranty. I removed every aftermarket component and even then the drain remains. The only other thing I added to this circuit was a splice in for the radar detector near the cigarette lighter. I did some reading and I read about how the harness to the radio can get corroded and cause a short so I will let the dealership know about that. Does anyone else have any ideas or experience with this matter? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM
audiRS4ever
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hinomura
Hey guys, I was having this issue and was wondering if anyone had experienced it as well. My car developed a parasitic drain. They did the diagnostic at the dealership and narrowed it down to the actual radio itself. They said that it stays on even if that car is off. Not on completely though cause I never saw it powered even with the car being off. Unfortunately I spliced into the rear deck to add a subwoofer and now they are saying that I voided my warranty. I removed every aftermarket component and even then the drain remains. The only other thing I added to this circuit was a splice in for the radar detector near the cigarette lighter. I did some reading and I read about how the harness to the radio can get corroded and cause a short so I will let the dealership know about that. Does anyone else have any ideas or experience with this matter? Thanks for any help.
Bump from the dead - did you ever resolve this issue? Anyone have any advice for someone experiencing something similar?

I haven't narrowed my issues down to the radio yet - how would I go about testing to see what is causing the drain?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
OEM battery needs to have cells filled with distilled water else it will cause your issue and fail early