Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

From no NAV to NAV

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
From no NAV to NAV

I really wanted some form of NAV instead of using my phone, but I didn't want to have to remove it every time I got out of the car, stick it to the window or have it in an awkward place.

This place fits a 3.5" unit pretty well and isn't too obstructive as it folds up:

Name:  20140619_193247.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  20140619_193308.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  49.6 KB

Granted, it's not as nice as the real OEM NAV, but it could be worse... ;-)

Last edited by DBall; 06-19-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
thumbs up for the usage of the space and overall design. def a good choice for someone looking to not spend much at all.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
DBall

Originally Posted by Paratrooper
thumbs up for the usage of the space and overall design. def a good choice for someone looking to not spend much at all.
Yeah, right around $30. It's no tablet in the dash, but it works Only problem is that it doesn't really stick too well to that spot. Don't want to do anything too permanent, but may try 2-sided tape to keep it in place
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM
RemmyZero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not bad really. I actually toyed with this idea by placing my old iPhone in that location and running Garmin Maps on it but the GPS didn't pick up well when I put it there. I may just try it again.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:41 PM
RPG11

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
haha i put my smart phone in front of the tachometer.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:28 PM
DBall

Originally Posted by DBall
Yeah, right around $30. It's no tablet in the dash, but it works Only problem is that it doesn't really stick too well to that spot. Don't want to do anything too permanent, but may try 2-sided tape to keep it in place
I was looking for ways to make it stick better without going too crazy and I read somewhere that a piece of packing tape would work well to promote better suction. I'm going to give that a try. Seems like a simple, yet logical solution... maybe that plastic is a bit porous and that's why it only sticks for a short amount of time...

I'll report back with the results.

The GPS unit is the Tomtom One 310 in case anyone was wondering. Now if only I could route the cable somewhere a bit less noticeable...
Old 06-22-2014, 07:08 PM
DBall

I couldn't find a piece of tape that was 2.5"x2.5" or so square, so someday I'll go find some vinyl (which I'm guessing should work the same) and stick that where I originally wanted to mount the GPS (in the first post).

In the meantime, I wanted to have it somewhere and keep it plugged in while keeping the wire out of sight. Decided to use some acrylic I had left over (the GPS mount sticks to this as good as a windshield).

First, I cut a piece long enough to slide up into the plastic stuff where the carpet goes (my description sucks, but you'll see in upcoming pictures):

Name:  20140622_170538.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  70.0 KB

I put it in the spot I wanted, but realized it slid around a bit... I wasn't too worried about it actually falling out, but figured more secure would be better, so I etched a little line in the angle I wanted it while it was in the car and added another piece of acrylic to it with 2-sided tape:

Name:  20140622_181306.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  52.9 KB

Here it is in the car, it's out of the way and the second picture of it is actually with it plugged in (the first picture shows where the plug for it is... the other end of that is in the center console lighter socket and on the side of the seat so it is entirely out of view):

Name:  20140622_171024.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  20140622_171129.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  42.6 KB

My goal is to get it to stick where I had it in the first picture, but here is pretty decent and if I really needed to, I could remove the whole unit pretty quick to toss in the trunk or glove box.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 PM
RPG11

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DBall
I couldn't find a piece of tape that was 2.5"x2.5" or so square, so someday I'll go find some vinyl (which I'm guessing should work the same) and stick that where I originally wanted to mount the GPS (in the first post).

In the meantime, I wanted to have it somewhere and keep it plugged in while keeping the wire out of sight. Decided to use some acrylic I had left over (the GPS mount sticks to this as good as a windshield).

First, I cut a piece long enough to slide up into the plastic stuff where the carpet goes (my description sucks, but you'll see in upcoming pictures):

I put it in the spot I wanted, but realized it slid around a bit... I wasn't too worried about it actually falling out, but figured more secure would be better, so I etched a little line in the angle I wanted it while it was in the car and added another piece of acrylic to it with 2-sided tape:

Here it is in the car, it's out of the way and the second picture of it is actually with it plugged in (the first picture shows where the plug for it is... the other end of that is in the center console lighter socket and on the side of the seat so it is entirely out of view):

My goal is to get it to stick where I had it in the first picture, but here is pretty decent and if I really needed to, I could remove the whole unit pretty quick to toss in the trunk or glove box.
I wouldnt put it there just for the fact that you have to be looking down at the gps while driving. and if you are lost or looking for a place you need to be extra focused on the road.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 PM
DBall

Originally Posted by RPG11
I wouldnt put it there just for the fact that you have to be looking down at the gps while driving. and if you are lost or looking for a place you need to be extra focused on the road.
It is a temporary solution, but when I was using my phone for nav, I'd have it in that little ashtray-type thing (with the case I have, it fits in there pretty well).

Neither place is as good as where I want to mount it, but the difference between the ashtray and where it is now is negligible.

All that said, I fully agree with you...
Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Clever placement by the odometer. Surely better than nothing.