Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Full iPhone Video Control on Factory Non-Nav Screen.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
wildmanracing

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Full iPhone Video Control on Factory Non-Nav Screen.

So, I'm new to the G37 world, coming from the RX-8 scene. I recently purchase an off-lease 2010 G37 Coupe. Of course I love it, but I missed my full CarPC that I had installed in the retractable Nav screen on my RX. Since I had quite a few parts left from the Mazda, here's what I put together:

I replaced the plastic cover on my factory display with a $10 4-wire touchscreen, and connected it up to a brand new Mimicsx2 board, which I seem to be one of the lucky few to receive. This allows full iPhone control right on the display face. I then "hijacked" the right BACK button below the display by cutting the leads on the circuit board and wired them onto the Mimicsx2 board as my HOME button.

To get video in, I installed a NavTool plug and play unit and installed a full push button on the console between the heated seats controls. I used a regular composite iPhone cable to connect the phone to the video-in and the USB port in the car. In addition, I fabbed my own dock out of ABS plastic and mounted it one the side of the shift console for easy access.

Here's how it works:

Turn on the car and slide the iPhone into the dock. The Mimics bluetooth connects automatically to the phone and the phone to the hands free in the car. I select iPod on the audio system just like normal, then push the extra button by the heated seat controls. The video switches to a landscaped IOS, and most apps work perfectly via the touchscreen and new HOME/BACK button. I mainly use iCarConnect, DashCommand, and several Nav apps. Audio comes through the dock connector clear as A bell for all apps. Even the steering wheel controls work to skip songs and such.

The DashCommand gauges are pretty cool IMHO and run off a bluetooth OBD bug.

Here are some pics, as I'm not a YouTube pro:
Attached Thumbnails Full iPhone Video Control on Factory Non-Nav Screen.-image-2022069663.jpg   Full iPhone Video Control on Factory Non-Nav Screen.-image-2672159849.jpg   Full iPhone Video Control on Factory Non-Nav Screen.-image-1951463031.jpg   Full iPhone Video Control on Factory Non-Nav Screen.-image-1923391611.jpg   Full iPhone Video Control on Factory Non-Nav Screen.-image-2530293784.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by wildmanracing:
filipinowise (08-10-2014), jco23 (08-30-2013), twin_snails (04-02-2014)
Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
impressive

can you provide a parts list?

maybe a diy?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 PM
AMCDeac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So type slowly, but that would solve the problem of no music streaming for for people with a non-nav vehicle (like an 08 G37S, non-nav)?

On my IPhone, I switch between a Garmin navigation app (maybe $40ish) and Google. Do such navigation apps work on your system? Do the voice prompts work, as well?

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

This post seems to follow a similar approach: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...sing-mimicsx2/

Last edited by AMCDeac; 09-07-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM
johnnyblazes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to do this for my car as well, can you please put a diy list
thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 09:39 PM
wildmanracing

Essentially all audio on the iPhone comes through the stereo. When you connect the phone through the bluetooth on the car, and press and hold the custom back button, Siri pops up through the car speakers and you reply through the car mic.

I'll see if I can come up with a DIY.
The following users liked this post:
AMCDeac (09-16-2013)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM
wildmanracing

Update

I hated using the iPhone UI with my Infiniti, since it looks and works so differently. I recently finished a Dreamboard theme for my iPhone that looks almost like the stock G37 interface. Check it out:
Dreamboard Infiniti Dash (landscape)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Sub'd for updates and the DIY. Thanks for doing this wildman! Is there a good source online for the parts needed? I have NAV on mine but would like to get iPhone video into my display screen.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
This is AWESOME!!! Exactly what I've been thinking of/wanted, but have no idea how to do it. Would love a DIY and parts list....or even bringing my car to you and having you do it?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM
gsteigerwald

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I am looking to do this as well... did you need to connect the touchscreen overlay to the factory screen (obviously not literally as it sits on top of it)? if not, how did you connect the iPhone to both the mimics board and navtool plug and play at the same time? Or did you need to connect the mimics board to the navtool plug and play somehow and just connect the phone to the navtool? Sorry for all the questions, just very interested in doing this.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 04:32 PM
wildmanracing

4-wire overlay is about the same size as the factory protective plastic sheild. Just swap it out, connet the overlay to the mimics board. The iPhone connects to the Mimics through Bluetooth. Then I used a standard composite cable with USB to plug the iPhone into the USB port in the car and the composite video to the NavTool.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:42 PM
gsteigerwald

Thanks for your response, this seems sweet to do and your write up is awesome. And for clarification, did you purchase the mimics diy kit? I am just afraid to order the mimics board because of all of the bad things I have read on here about customgadz.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Would this work on a non-nav 2008 Coupe!? Sub'd for DIY
Old 05-27-2014, 03:13 PM
gsteigerwald

Just ordered my mimicsx2 board and my navtool is on the way in. Once I get everything and if i install it correctly I will put together a DIY and parts list for everyone.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 PM
gsteigerwald

Does anyone know the dimensions of the LCD display? I've looked all over the place but cannot find it. I am trying to buy a touchscreen overlay but don't know what size to buy to make it the best fit possible.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Aaron Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, is audio from the iphone input through the usb, video through the navtool, and touch input through the mimicsx2 via bluetooth?

Quick Reply: Full iPhone Video Control on Factory Non-Nav Screen.