Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Streaming audio from my Android-based phone to the car audio

Old 06-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Mbrank20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also having the same problem I bought a 2013 g37 great car, but no nav package. There's only bluetooth for phone calls. When I connect my samsung galaxy s6 to the built in usb port it says check device or can't read device something along those lines. Did you ever find a solution?? Evidently from what everyone is saying on this thread pre 2010 models have rca plugs mine doesn't just a usb port in the console.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Yeah, mine just has the USB also. It can read music off a thumb drive, but it doesn't recognize folder structures and is kind of sloppy. I believe the USB can work with apple devices, and some people prefer using that organizational structure and putting a used/refurbed ipod in the arm rest. I got notification that my GROM-BT3 shipped today, so I'll report back on how that goes.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 AM
Mbrank20

Did you ever get your grom-bt3 in? I was just curious if it worked?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:11 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

I did get it in. Works like a champ. I just got the Bt3, and didn't run the mic, USB or AUX cables anywhere. I sync the phone's audio to GROM and the phone's "phone" to the existing car stereo system. I can control Pandora from the wheel (skip/volume), I don't get the album/song info on the display. I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you, but it's worth mentioning.

Install was not too bad. The back of my radio (2012) doesn't look like the one in the instructions, so it took some looking around to find the right power cable to tap into. Also on install: It looks like each of those radio connectors is unique, but in actuality, two of them are the same. If you transpose them, you'll have dead gauges, a CEL, a tire pressure light, and a security "key" light, and will blow ignition fuses every time you start the car.

Once you pull it all apart, swap them into the right spots and replace the fuse (which can be really hard to find at 1am, btw), reset the ECU (use this
to get the timing right), you'll still have the security key light and the tire pressure light. Those will go away after a couple miles of driving.

Also, I put about 5 layers of painters tape down on the console to protect it from scratching it with the head unit. That seemed to work well. All the trim came apart and went back together very well. I can't tell it was pulled apart at all.

EDIT: The two cables that are easy to swap are toward the drivers side of the unit, one near the top, and one near the bottom. I don't remember where the power cable was, but with all of them out, it was easy to see that only one of those ports had flat pins on either side of the round pins. The port did look like in the instructions, just the location was different. The cable I tapped into was brown. There wasn't a lot of space to work and take pictures, but if you have specific questions on install, I can likely remember or just pop mine out again.

Last edited by the_wolff; 07-11-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:55 AM
robertloblaw

Registered just for this. I recently bought a 2011 G25X and spent hours looking for solution for the same problem. I came across the Tune2Air and its the best solution. You just plug it into the usb port and pair with your phone and it will start streaming pandora, spotify, youtube, you name it. I use it with the google music app and aside from a few skips it works perfectly. You can even skip tracks using the steering wheel controls as expected. I have also tried NAXA Electronics NAB-4003 Wireless Audio Adapter with Bluetooth (https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-N...ilpage_o01_s00) and works similarly but i find the tune2air works way better. The only problems I experience is a little skipping (think its an android issue) and the tracks wont show on the head unit display which is not too big of a deal. Heres the link to their website. ViseeO Tune2Air WMA2000 USB Bluetooth Music Streaming Adapter for iPhone/iPod/iPad | Viseeostore Its a tad pricey but well worth it
Old 07-20-2016, 09:39 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Originally Posted by robertloblaw
Heres the link to their website. ViseeO Tune2Air WMA2000 USB Bluetooth Music Streaming Adapter for iPhone/iPod/iPad | Viseeostore Its a tad pricey but well worth it
That link doesn't work for me. I get a "bad gateway" error.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:14 PM
robertloblaw

Originally Posted by the_wolff
That link doesn't work for me. I get a "bad gateway" error.
weird.. works on my end. heres the link though
http://www.viseeostore.com/viseeo-tune2air-wma2000.html
its set to british pounds but you can change it to USD on the top right corner

if that doesnt work just google it.. depending on your connector you might need a different model. WMA1000 if you have the oldschool ipod connector and WMA2000 if you have the usb port
Old 07-20-2016, 03:31 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

That works. Looks like a nice solution. Cheaper than Grom, easier to install, and would let you keep XM radio.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:22 AM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 2012 sedan journey with USB for music. I have tried both the Viseeo WMA1000 and 2000 but they didn't work for my car. Not sure if they have updated firmware for Infiniti lately. Does it work for anyone else? I want to give it a try again.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:39 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by GFTW
I have a 2012 sedan journey with USB for music. I have tried both the Viseeo WMA1000 and 2000 but they didn't work for my car. Not sure if they have updated firmware for Infiniti lately. Does it work for anyone else? I want to give it a try again.
Yea noticed ALOT of mixed reviews when it comes to the 2000, I dont know how you would use the 100 model as your car does not have RCA jacks. Seems to be hit or miss for some reason, some G's link and some dont....curious to know the rhyme and reason behind it
Old 07-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
if you have RCA inputs, you can use a USB Bluetooth device (power it with a 12V-USB adapter if you have no USB).

i also posted this in the coupe forum:

i just saw in a new Crutchfield catalog that Infinity (lol) makes an amp with built-in bluetooth ... if you're going to replace the factory amp and you dont have bluetooth, this might be a good kill-two-birds-with-one-stone solution.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108K5/I...-Kappa-K5.html
Old 07-21-2016, 09:59 AM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Yea noticed ALOT of mixed reviews when it comes to the 2000, I dont know how you would use the 100 model as your car does not have RCA jacks. Seems to be hit or miss for some reason, some G's link and some dont....curious to know the rhyme and reason behind it
There is a thread here somewhere I believe that shows the conversation from 30-pin connector to USB. I tried that but it didn't work. Then once they came out with the 2000 I gave it a try but still no luck.

Originally Posted by Landshark
if you have RCA inputs, you can use a USB Bluetooth device (power it with a 12V-USB adapter if you have no USB).

i also posted this in the coupe forum:

i just saw in a new Crutchfield catalog that Infinity (lol) makes an amp with built-in bluetooth ... if you're going to replace the factory amp and you dont have bluetooth, this might be a good kill-two-birds-with-one-stone solution.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108K5/I...-Kappa-K5.html
Unfortunately my car doesn't have the RCA input. I still don't get the reason why Infiniti did away with the 3.5mm AUX. That amp is a potential option. Do you know if it's plug and play?
Old 07-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by GFTW

Unfortunately my car doesn't have the RCA input. I still don't get the reason why Infiniti did away with the 3.5mm AUX. That amp is a potential option. Do you know if it's plug and play?
you could contact Crutchfield to see if they have a harness adapter for the G37. if they do, it would make install MUCH easier without cutting and splicing, and easy to return to stock.

i like that it also improves the sound of digital audio ...
Old 09-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Majicwolf

Solved

Solved!!!
For the first time ever!How to get BLUETOOTH AUDIO from your PHONE to your NON NAVIGATION INFINITY.NO its NOT a $150 GROM unit!It's totally free!Donations accepted if you like paypal.me/everythinguneed /use this method
Step 1. Connect your phone to the car Bluetooth for call Audio. You probably already have this set up. If so, make sure your Bluetooth is on connected to the car.Step 2. Download an app called Discord, and create an account. This is a great app for chatting with gamers. I use it for chatting about stocks.Step 3. Open the sidebar on the left side of the screen. This is where your chat rooms are located. At the bottom there is a plus sign inside of a circle.Step 4. click on the plus sign..Step 5. You are now presented with an option to join or create a server. Give your server name and click create at the bottom.Step 6. In the left-hand side bar click on your newly created server.Step 7. You are not presented with options for text and voice channels. Under voice channels click General.VOILA! You will be the only person in your voice chat room and your phone will initiate a data-based phone call. The vehicle will see it as an actual phone call and the timer will start on your cars center console. You can now switch apps and play any audio or video and the audio will stream to your car speakers.If you actually receive a phone call while this is going on you will be able to answer it because Discord is not actually using your phone line!paypal.me/everythinguneed
Old 09-18-2017, 11:28 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

There are a myriad of apps in the Play store (Blue Mono Sound, Mono, Bluetooth, etc) that will allow you to emulate a phone call over the car audio for free, and with much less setup. This isn't a novel concept, and certainly not worthy of a donation. The call quality and volume for these types of solutions is nowhere near that of something like a GROM, or any of the other solutions presented here.

Lots of people contribute a lot of time, energy, and years of expertise to helping people out here, with no expectation of payment. People who find value in the forum donate to the costs to keep it running. It's uncouth to create an account, and in your first post not only misrepresent your solution as novel, but also suggest (twice!) that we'll be so enraptured with it that we'll want to throw money at you. Get over yourself, man. Maybe lurk for a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Streaming audio from my Android-based phone to the car audio