Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Running wire through molex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Running wire through molex?

I have everything ready to go but the wiring to the doors.

A few years ago I ran new wires through the molex in my G35.
There was a DIY I followed and it was right on.

Im having trouble getting the molex apart from the car
The tops pull back and then you slide the harness/parts apart but I cant get them off of the wiring.

Anyone have any luck?
I have found open spots to drill into but I cant
Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM
blazeplacid

Got it done over the Thanksgiving break.

I didn't take photos of the drivers side but ill get some soon.

I had issues with the drivers side door. Two of the prongs got bent some how. Im assuming it was during the drilling process. Took me a good 4-5 days to figure out thats what it was because they were just barley bent.

Good news it that G35 door spacers will work on our cars!!!
(If you have the base audio) Ill get pics of that also. I probably wont get to work on it till Sunday.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM
duffdaddy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have the Bose system in your car? If so do you have it completely disconnected? Your just trying to run speaker wire to the doors from your amps right?

I have Bose in my car and plan on unplugging the 3 wire harness and tapping (posi-tapping) into the speaker outputs comming from the head unit at the Bose wire harness => into my sound processor => RCA out to amps => speaker wire from amps back to Bose wire harness which runs to the front door speaks.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM
blazeplacid

I have the base audio set up. I knew I was going to upgrade the audio so I didnt even mess with paying more for the bose set up.

I tapped into the back of the radio harness to get my signal.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
blazeplacid

Well I did it over the weekend.
Seems to me its a little more time consuming in this car my 2004 G35.
Im assuming the intelligent key takes up more room in the molex plug becuase I remember the G35 having more room in the plug.

Roll your windows all the way down before you disconnect your battery.
DISCONNECT your battery!!!
Remove the door panel. Depending on how much room you have you may need to take the large black metal covering off the door. You will see it when you remove the door panel.

You will have to have your door half way open / half way closed to pull the molex plug out.
From the top of the plug there is a gray lever.
You will need to pull that lever all the way down until it clicks. You will hear it click.

Next the harness on the car body it self it a little hard to reach if you have even medium sized hands. I set the parking brake to give myself more room. The Bottom has a metal tab that holds it in place. Press up on this metal tab and the harness will come lose.

Here is the drivers side door harness.
Name:  20121215_140750.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  313.4 KB

In the photo the top of the harness has a locking hatch on the top.( This actually upside down but you will see it.) You can see where I got a little violent with it =).
This will slide down. Now you will need to peel the rubber back to route the wires through the harness.

Name:  20121215_140420.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  384.4 KB

Here is my drilled connector. I ran two sets of 18ga per side.
**USE EXTREME CAUTION**
Please make sure that there are no pins,wires, anything in the way. On the drivers side its a little tight but you just need to take your time.
I used a 5/16" bit first and slowly went up. Take your time and keep a steady hand.

The interior / body side is a little more difficult in terms of access. The harness comes to about where the parking break is. Its a little hard to fish out but just take your time.

Here is the interior connector drilled out. Notice how close I came to the pins.
Name:  20121215_140435.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  301.1 KB

Run the wire from the interior of your car, through the interior harness rear, then through the door harness.

I cut the rubber boot to make running the wires through the rubber easier.
Name:  20121215_141127.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  285.1 KB

When installing the interior harness back make sure the metal tab clicks and locks the harness.
Replace the plastic part you slide off the door harness and make sure it clicks. Also make sure the rubber aligns properly on the harness.

Again you may have to work with the door to get the harness aligned. Open/close it to get a good angle.

The door harness needs to be pressed in a little bit. You will feel/hear the gray lever unlock. Pull the lever up slowly. It should click closed.
When I first tried to reconnect the harness nothing on the drivers side door worked.
YOU NEED TO MAKE 100% SURE YOU DIDNT BEND ANY PINS OR CUT ANY WIRES. I had to work with the harness for a good week to get mine aligned because I bent a pin. Also pull the new speaker wire when you are pulling up the lever. This will help you with any slack you may have.

The passenger side is MUCH easier.
Name:  20121215_154146.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  371.4 KB

The door harness on the passenger side has an open hole. This may not be the same on the bose set up. Please check before you begin.
Same procedure on the interior harness. Look for the metal tab and push it in.

you will need to pull the glove box and the plastic behind it. (Look for a cabin air replacement DIY) The interior harness needs to be drilled. There is more room on this harness vs the drivers door. Run the wires and then replace the interior harness. Then line up the door harness. Pull gray lever up until it clicks.

This was in no means an easy process. It took me a full day to do this.

I wish I would have taken more photos but I was ready to get it done by hour 5!
The following users liked this post:
wowwed (04-21-2015)
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM
blazeplacid

If you have any questions ill be happy to answer