Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Flickering headlight. Not bulb. Fuse? Ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 PM
tristanbane

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Flickering headlight. Not bulb. Fuse? Ballast?

Hey guys,

My passenger side's headlight has been flickering then shuts off after each time I turn the lights on. Initially thought it was the bulb so I got a replacement set (since I was gonna change bulb color/temp anyway). I've tested the bulbs on the same side and still the same results, so it's not the bulbs' fault.

Could it be the fuse or the ballast?

If it was a fuse problem, wouldn't the light just NOT turn on at all instead of flickering then off?

So I'm thinking it's the ballast. What do you think?

If it is the fuse, how do I get to it? I thought it was the small box posterior to the battery in the engine bay, but after doing some research, it sounds like there's another fuse box in the battery compartment??

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tristanbane
Hey guys,

My passenger side's headlight has been flickering then shuts off after each time I turn the lights on. Initially thought it was the bulb so I got a replacement set (since I was gonna change bulb color/temp anyway). I've tested the bulbs on the same side and still the same results, so it's not the bulbs' fault.

Could it be the fuse or the ballast?

If it was a fuse problem, wouldn't the light just NOT turn on at all instead of flickering then off?

So I'm thinking it's the ballast. What do you think?

If it is the fuse, how do I get to it? I thought it was the small box posterior to the battery in the engine bay, but after doing some research, it sounds like there's another fuse box in the battery compartment??

Thanks in advance!
Good chance it may be your ballast starting to go out, and if the fuse pops it would never turn back on again till you replace that. One way you can confirm that it's the ballast would be swap it to the other side and if it's the same thing then for sure it's the ballast.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:05 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
just like wei said... swap them but before you swap them try pushing the wires into the connecter harness
Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 AM
tristanbane

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Good chance it may be your ballast starting to go out, and if the fuse pops it would never turn back on again till you replace that. One way you can confirm that it's the ballast would be swap it to the other side and if it's the same thing then for sure it's the ballast.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip! Looks like it couldn't be the fuse since it does turn back on, just doesn't stay long. I'll try the swap and see what happens, since I've only swapped bulb TYPES, not bulbs Left/Right. (if that makes sense haha)

Also, I've seen your ride on a couple of threads! Very nice! Wish I could've gotten a hold on a white G but couldn't pass on a decent deal for mine

Originally Posted by unknowndesi
just like wei said... swap them but before you swap them try pushing the wires into the connecter harness
Thanks! I think I have tried what you described in the second part. I tried moving the harness/connector around and all but still same results. Will try the L/R bulb swap next.

Last edited by tristanbane; 10-05-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Can'tGme

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
This may be the same problem I'm having. I just recently painted my lights and about a month after I painted them I started having passenger bulb problems. When the lights come on automatically the passenger side will flicker and go out. If I turn the lights off and on again sometimes it will come right on, but most of the time it takes a few attempts.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM
tristanbane

Originally Posted by Can'tGme
This may be the same problem I'm having. I just recently painted my lights and about a month after I painted them I started having passenger bulb problems. When the lights come on automatically the passenger side will flicker and go out. If I turn the lights off and on again sometimes it will come right on, but most of the time it takes a few attempts.
Yes! That's exactly my problem!
Sometimes I do the "off/on/off/on" method where I feel like I'm working with a sparker, it would stay on but then go out again minutes later... It's kinda embarrassing on the road lolll suddenly one light goes off...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Weiboy718

Yes! That's exactly my problem!
Sometimes I do the "off/on/off/on" method where I feel like I'm working with a sparker, it would stay on but then go out again minutes later... It's kinda embarrassing on the road lolll suddenly one light goes off...
Where in NORCAL are you located at?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM
tristanbane

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Where in NORCAL are you located at?
I'm from the Lodi area. Way inlandd. You?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Weiboy718

I'm from the Lodi area. Way inlandd. You?
Haha. You are out there, I'm in SF
Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 AM
nkG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def sounds like its the ballast.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM
iam8up

I believe fuses are binary - working or not. They don't flicker or anything. I agree, ballast is the most likely answer.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM
auburnjim

anyon
passenger side headlight out. replaced bulb stillout. Is there a fuse? if so where is it? Other ideas?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM
nkG37S

Originally Posted by auburnjim
anyon
passenger side headlight out. replaced bulb stillout. Is there a fuse? if so where is it? Other ideas?

its the BALLAST...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM
auburnjim

Headlight problem

nkG37S
Thanks for reply
auburnjim
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM
nkG37S

no prob man!

Quick Reply: Flickering headlight. Not bulb. Fuse? Ballast?