Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

iPhone 5 Compatibility w/ G37

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Just tested it and it does work Well worked on a mercedes, so don't see how it wouldn't work on an Infiniti
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by llee916
Actually, I was hoping that someone (smarter) who works for Infiniti (or even Apple) who knows a lot about their electronics would respond to this post. People from Infiniti do come on here.

And in case you didn't know, the phones have been released already to journalists and they are testing them. Maybe they tried it on a G37?
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Just tested it and it does work Well worked on a mercedes, so don't see how it wouldn't work on an Infiniti
Thats whats up! Your a true Apple Genius, not like the one I just spoke to 10 mins ago on our lunch breaks lol
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
what year is the mercedes?

if it's a newer one, then ya, it may work.....but i highly doubt it's gonna work for infiniti's earlier than 2010
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most likely anything with usb it should work...other connections, maybe not...
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mattster
what year is the mercedes?

if it's a newer one, then ya, it may work.....but i highly doubt it's gonna work for infiniti's earlier than 2010
Why not? You can just get the lightning adapter
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

The Video out I know will not work, Charging and Audio will, far as IPOD Integration goes, it will because people are gonna be using these on there home audio docks like BOSE and etc, I am sure changing songs and the whole IPOD/IPHONE Will work, I plan to buy new Video cables for sure
Old 09-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Rad_Slinger

my iphone 4 does not charge in my 09 G. the steering wheel controls work, obviously, but with this new 30 pin to 9 pin adapter it won't due to the way it's wired. and they're saying it may not even display on the screen.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 PM
tejasg37x

my iphone 4 does not charge in my 09 G. the steering wheel controls work, obviously, but with this new 30 pin to 9 pin adapter it won't due to the way it's wired. and they're saying it may not even display on the screen.

Not being a d**k, but it's actually 19 pin.

But when using the USB cable, it should be compatible...other ones, probably not.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tejasg37x

But when using the USB cable, it should be compatible...other ones, probably not.
My iPhone used to charge in my 2008 until they came out with a update, its not hardware, its software, apple turned pins off to say it was a invalid charger, since than I use a Scosche adapter which has fixed the charging issue, this lightning adapter should be a full adapter to fix all these issues so even old electronics work, if it isn't than losing iPod integration would be horrible but I would def figure out a way to mod the connectors, but u can still play the music just cant control ipod controls.

Also 2008 n I think 2009 dont have USB input, so whoever keeps saying USB will work, it won't for us early G37 folks
Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Rad_Slinger

Originally Posted by tejasg37x

Apple finally unveiled its new 9-pin Lightning connector yesterday as a replacement for its old, standard 30-pin dock connector on the new iPhone 5 and refreshed iPods.
Lightning connector spec doesn’t list video-out support, AirPlay is now only option? | 9to5Mac

not trying to be a ****....but you're wrong.

and if you look at the picture on that site i linked, you can actually count the pins.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Lightning connector spec doesn’t list video-out support, AirPlay is now only option? | 9to5Mac

and if you look at the picture on that site i linked, you can actually count the pins.
Everything you need to know about Apple’s new Lightning connector | Las Vegas Informer

Ya I was about to say its 4 Pins on each side, its 8 Pins

Hate that people gotta be so confident call someone wrong without themselves knowing 100%

How would it even have 19 pins, have u seen the size of it? and its reversable

"The Lightning dock connector, compared to its 30-pin predecessor, only has eight pins. That’s 22 less than before. Apple got rid of all those signals by stripping out obsolete technology that made sense for early-era iPods and iPhones, but has been surpassed by alternative methods since. Apple’s new Lightning dock connector is entirely digital; you won’t find any analog channels in the Lightning connector. Apple managed to shrink it and still make it work as well as before – a feat indicative of significant technological advancement but one that has been long overdue."
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 PM
tejasg37x

OK...

Apple Inc. (AAPL) iPhone 5 Alienates Other iDevices

Actually we both are wrong it seems...it is now 8 pins

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-...ncement-788960

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...he-buzz-2012-9

This one even shows the adapter from 8 to 30:
http://www.cultofmac.com/190105/appl...phone-5-event/

Evidently the talk about 9 and 19 pins was all rumor and the real thing is 8...

Last edited by tejasg37x; 09-19-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by Raheel
My iPhone used to charge in my 2008 until they came out with a update, its not hardware, its software, apple turned pins off to say it was a invalid charger, since than I use a Scosche adapter which has fixed the charging issue, this lightning adapter should be a full adapter to fix all these issues so even old electronics work, if it isn't than losing iPod integration would be horrible but I would def figure out a way to mod the connectors, but u can still play the music just cant control ipod controls.

Also 2008 n I think 2009 dont have USB input, so whoever keeps saying USB will work, it won't for us early G37 folks
Well Duh...it will work if you have USB.

Did you seriously think I meant the USB cable would work with a non USB system? Really?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

DAMN!

Apple Lightning Adaptor and issues with iPod Out on BMW, MINI models

"Last week Apple unveiled their latest and greatest iteration of the iPhone. Dubbed iPhone 5, the innovative smartphone delivers some exciting features to Apple fans, including a larger screen, thinner profile and….a new connector. The Ligthning connector replaces the 7-year old 30-pin connector that we have all become accustomed to.

But with these hardware changes, new issues arise for BMW and MINI owners. The new 8-pin setup will not work with the car’s iPod Out functionality.

iPoad Out was introduced in 2010 and enables BMW and MINI infotainment systems to display and control the music playback feature in iPhone and iPod touch in the vehicle’s main display. The iPod navigation menu can be safely operated through the vehicle’s interface controls. iPod features such as custom playlists and Genius, which instantly creates a playlist of songs that go well together from a user’s own library, is made available to BMW and MINI drivers through the vehicle’s main display."
Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It should work without a hitch you'll just either need a 30pin to lightning adaptor or a spare lightning connector.

^As for what Raheel said, thats not exactly true. Yes corporate doesn't pass much down but as far as if changes are significant enough to cause compatibility issues we have a pretty good idea by this point.

Quick Reply: iPhone 5 Compatibility w/ G37