Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Galaxy Nexus and BT

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
samps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galaxy Nexus and BT

I did a search but did not find confirmation.

I just got a Galaxy Nexus to try out. Was on an iPhone 4 and 4s.

I can connect via BT to the car, but cannot download the handset phonebook. I'm assuming this won't work but can anyone confirm? Has anyone else been able to do it?

TIA.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
samps

I figured it out by just trying something. For anyone else that gets into the same situation, when trying to download the handset phonebook, you have to go directly into 'People' and push the contacts via BT to the car.

I didn't think things were done this way as when you try to download via the car, it prompts you to enter a PIN but then the phone doesn't ask for one. A little different than say, an iPhone.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
TByrd_McCloy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do we bump this forum? Overall, Galaxy Nexus + G37 NAV is a nightmare.
Just got a 2012 G37 Sedan S w/ Prem/NAV/Bose. It seems nothing works right between this phone and this car. I thought Bluetooth was regulated spec like 802.11 or IEEE, but apparently it's more of a flexible corrupt marketing hijacked spec like 4G or Wireless N drafts A through Z

Has anyone found a way to fix any of the following issues:
- OP's Mass contact sync doesn't work
- BT music streaming doesn't display artist, track or album info
- BT music streaming drops out multiple times per 5 minute interval
- Not recognized as Mass Storage Device via USB
- Recent Incoming/Outgoing doesn't snag contacts from most calls, especially those initiated via the phone interface.
- After 10-20 minutes of talk, BT becomes garbled and impossible to understand. Switching call back to handset instantly fixes it, so it's not between the phone and Verizon. Switching back to BT while on the same call reintroduces onto car speakers with same quality problem. This, in my mind, means that it's a corruption of the stream between phone and car, not a failing of the call itself.

I'm a very long way from Verizon upgrade date, so a new phone isn't really in the cards yet, but I'm open to any options that involve "altering" the phone to fix this, if anyone has links.

Infiniti dealership does not seem interested to know that Android has 50% smartphone market share and that they should be concerned only catering to Apple users.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
TByrd_McCloy

Sorry, wrong info in the last post.
Android Market share just reach 75% of Smartphone market as of Q3 2012.

Cited here:
IDC: Android Market Share Reached 75% Worldwide In Q3 2012 | TechCrunch

Infiniti remains unconcerned with the flagship/development OS for this marketshare not working correctly with their cars. As of my most recent communication with the local dealership, Infiniti is planning to release a patch for iPhone 5 users in the next month or so to fix their BT problems, and probably plans to move the GNexus aka SCH-I515 from the "being tested for compatibility" category to the "not recommended" category.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM
mosspa

I have a Galaxy Nexus, although it is from Sprint. The phone works perfectly, and I've had conversations as long as 72 minutes with it, with no irregularities that I could not attribute to reception problems. My G37 is a 6 day old 2013 Smt. Getting the phone to work with BT was easy as soon as the dealer tech got me through the id code thing. Now, when I get in the car and the BT is set 'ON' on the phone, the nav display tells me its connected about 30 sec after the display comes up.

I still see people are using Android phones for Pandora, and I have absolutely no idea how to do that over BT. Also, it is a little disappointing to find that the Nexus doesn't act like a thumb drive when plugged into the USB port.

John
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 PM
TByrd_McCloy

Originally Posted by mosspa
I have a Galaxy Nexus, although it is from Sprint. The phone works perfectly, and I've had conversations as long as 72 minutes with it, with no irregularities that I could not attribute to reception problems. My G37 is a 6 day old 2013 Smt. Getting the phone to work with BT was easy as soon as the dealer tech got me through the id code thing. Now, when I get in the car and the BT is set 'ON' on the phone, the nav display tells me its connected about 30 sec after the display comes up.

I still see people are using Android phones for Pandora, and I have absolutely no idea how to do that over BT. Also, it is a little disappointing to find that the Nexus doesn't act like a thumb drive when plugged into the USB port.

John
I didn't have any call problems for the first month either.
They crept up over time or might have started with the push from Android 4.0.1 to 4.1. I couldn't really say which.

I was able to basically fix my reception problems and music dropouts by installing "A2DP Volume" by publisher JimRoal and telling it to Disable Wifi and turn off notifications on connection to the car. So that's actually fixed.

Pandora isn't so tough either. I do that. Make sure Google Music service isn't running. Sometimes just connecting to the car will auto launch it. Run Pandora, go to Settings, Advanced, and make sure Bluetooth for Automotive is checked. Now I believe the trick here is don't use your play/pause/next track buttons, because those will launch google music to fight over the connection. I could be wrong on that though.
If still no love, there is app that you can get for more finite control. I believe it's called "Media Button Router", also free.

Now please help me understand how your phone is publishing Artist/Track/Album information. It is my understanding that even now with Jellybean, they are still implementing AVRCP v1.0. What Android version are you running? Are you running any roots or mods, like CM10? I've read that some of the nightly builds of CM10 have support for ACRCP 1.3 which would push metadata to the console, but I'm feeling a little gun shy on voiding my phone until someone closer to contract end date can confirm for me
Also some people report that it ruins the music stream. If I had to chose between the music stream and meta data stream working, I would **** and moan for a while, but probably stick with music.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 PM
TByrd_McCloy

Originally Posted by mosspa
Also, it is a little disappointing to find that the Nexus doesn't act like a thumb drive when plugged into the USB port.

John
No, it is not. you'd be just as annoyed. See this thread.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...4-usb-mp3.html

What you mean to say is, it is a little disappointing to find that the Nexus doesn't act like an iPod when plugged into the USB port. lol. I'm trying to figure out if that can be cured by some app or mod, but haven't found anything yet. It would clearly take fewer ($/man/women/hours)*hairloss^3 to simply buy a 16GB nano to sit in the car at all times and just charge your Nexus from Cig adapter.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM
mosspa

Originally Posted by TByrd_McCloy

Now please help me understand how your phone is publishing Artist/Track/Album information. It is my understanding that even now with Jellybean, they are still implementing AVRCP v1.0. What Android version are you running? Are you running any roots or mods, like CM10? I've read that some of the nightly builds of CM10 have support for ACRCP 1.3 which would push metadata to the console, but I'm feeling a little gun shy on voiding my phone until someone closer to contract end date can confirm for me
Sorry to imply that I'm seeing meta data. I'm running Jellybean 4.1.1 with all of its limitations. And thanks about the Pandora hint, but my salesguy's son made it work for me just this afternoon.

John
Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 PM
mosspa

Originally Posted by TByrd_McCloy
It would clearly take fewer ($/man/women/hours)*hairloss^3 to simply buy a 16GB nano to sit in the car at all times and just charge your Nexus from Cig adapter.
Well, my first solution was to use a 32GB iTouch I had laying around just that way. That was before I got the Nexus Bluetooth audio working with the car. Another thing I thought about was using the Nexus as a WiFi hotspot for the iTouch, then doing all the audio media stuff, like Pandora and internet radio through the intelligent iTouch. Unfortunately, this remains an hypothesis until FoxFi solves the Jellybean problem (which I understand is coming soon). I don't see why it wouldn't work, though.

Also, when I use the Nexus in the car for Pandora, I keep it pluged into the Cig supply with a flat charging cable, and I leave the phone on the sliding tray of the cup holder behind the shifter (I have an mt coupe and I understand that the manual transmission shifter changes the configuration of the center panel). That way, I can still see what's playing and I have access to the 'thumbs up/thumbs down' controls. However, most of my Pandora stations are pretty well trained now, so I don't usually use them except when Pandora finds a song I like that hasn't been played before. My son's Ford Focus has built in Pandora. Let's see... $17K car great tech, $44K car unbelievably poor tech

John
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 AM
TByrd_McCloy

Some updates on my fruitless adventure here.
Rooted, XenonHD JB 4.2.1 with AVRCP 1.3 and MAP.
Some interesting results, but not what I cared about the most.
I didn't finally initiate a full address book download from phone to head unit instead of having to select 1 single contact at a time to transfer.

However, even using XenonHD, with AVRCP 1.3, and PowerAmp, which specifically has settings for pushing metadata via AVRCP, still no meta data is shown on the screen. I think they must have heavily researched a way to make it Apple product exclusive.

There is no reason I can think of that it should not be working.

I'll try CM10 next and maybe AOKP and report back any interesting results.
if you want to know step by step on full address book transfer just ask.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 PM
TByrd_McCloy

CM10 nightly caused a grayed out "menu" button to appear on the Clarion screen.
That's the only change I've seen so far tinkering with Roms.

Both CM10 and XenonHD have AVRCP 1.3
I'm starting to wonder if Clarion blacklists certain vendors, or if Apple really is 4 years ahead of Google with bluetooth control and information transfer.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
TByrd_McCloy

Got a fix for you

Originally Posted by samps
I figured it out by just trying something. For anyone else that gets into the same situation, when trying to download the handset phonebook, you have to go directly into 'People' and push the contacts via BT to the car.

I didn't think things were done this way as when you try to download via the car, it prompts you to enter a PIN but then the phone doesn't ask for one. A little different than say, an iPhone.
I figured out a way around this so you don't have to transfer contacts one at a time. Not sure if it relates to me using a custom rom, or if I just happened to find it after installing a custom rom.

In People, hit the "3 dots", go to "Share Visible Contacts" with all your contacts or the list you want showing.

Hit "bluetooth", "just once", select your car name. Do this while your car is on that waiting screen that sometimes demands a pin... Multiple contacts should be moving over now. It worked for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:03 PM
jjgi5150

Hi all,

I just purchased my Samsung Galaxy SIII and was able to install it perfectly in my 2010 F-150. It loaded the contacts perfectly and was a very simple install. However, my 2008 Infiniti G37S was a problem for the phonebook install. I used the same process I did for installing the HTC EVO 4G in the G37, but it would just not take the contacts.

I used Bluetooth File Transfer from the Android market, as I did on the HTC EVO, but it would only loop into an endless loop of downloading....with nothing actually downloading. The pop up window in BFT said the receiving location was not able to accept the "OBEX FTP" transfer..., and another window said it may only load one file at a time.

Well, after hours of messing with it, and several deletes and re-installs of my contact book onto my external SD card, as well as reinstalling the BFT program, it still would not transfer the contacts. So, I just loaded about 20 of my most frequent called contacts into the car manually, and added a voice tag to each, and they are working flawlessly that way. The phone connection and bluetooth connection for the speaker is very good.

I guess it will be ok that way anyway, as I really don't call the 270+ other contacts very often.

Anyone have any other ideas?

JJ
Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
TByrd_McCloy

Has anyone with a Gnex gone in for the G37 Bluetooth firmware update?
I just did, and not only did they destroy my sunglasses compartment with screwdriver marks and oil putting in a new microphone that I didn't ask for, but now my Gnex appears to connect and disconnect constantly, have lower audio streaming quality, and more overall problems. Has anyone had a this update applied with different results?