Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

USB transfer to Music Box

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM
jmeyer99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB transfer to Music Box

Is it possible to transfer music from a USB drive in the armrest to the Music Box?

Best,

James
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Spathic

Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, the only way to transfer music to the car's hard drive is via the CD player. My understanding is it won't used burned CD's either, so it has to be the retail version.

Your best bet is to just go out and buy an iPod.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Spathic
Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, the only way to transfer music to the car's hard drive is via the CD player. My understanding is it won't used burned CD's either, so it has to be the retail version.

yup, I don't think many people take advantage of the Music Box because it's so much easier to just plug in an iPod/Nano.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:58 PM
SCWells72

My understanding is it won't used burned CD's either, so it has to be the retail version.
You can use burned CDs, but they have to match the retail version track-for-track. I'm not saying this to encourage folks to use pirated versions of CDs, but if you buy a full album from an online store in digital form, you can burn the tracks onto an audio CD in their original order and then load them onto Music Box that way. Works great!

Yes, it's an investment in time, and at first I was pretty against it because I just wanted to load a DVD-R or USB stick with all my music, but I finally just threw a handful of my CDs in the car with me and cycled them in and out while driving to/from work, or even just in the garage while working from home. I manged to rip most of my collection (basically the stuff I'd want in the car with me) in just a few days with very little effort on my part. Now I have my primary music collection with me all the time, and anything that's really new or single tracks are either on my iPhone or on a DVD-R. I wouldn't ignore the feature...once you dive in and take advantage of it, it's very nice!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They don't have to match at all. I've downloaded cd's to the music box that was a mix of artists and songs.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
SCWells72

Originally Posted by trcb777
They don't have to match at all. I've downloaded cd's to the music box that was a mix of artists and songs.
Was it able to get album/artist/title info? I thought it found the album info using a composite checksum based on the number of tracks and their lengths.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
1BadAssG

You can have the cd to give info if when you burn the cd and have told the burner to include the texts. It's quite easy. Easter way would be to make a mp3 disc on a DVD-DL which is 8gb which holds lots of songs and shows track info and album cover. I have it and it beats my iPhone in seek time.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just use a $20 Coby 4Gb MP3 player from Newegg. Behaves just like a DVD player, turns off and on with the car, and I can bring it in a load mp3's from my computer. I've ripped 50-some CDs onto it and it's not half full. Just another option.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Correct, burned CDs do indeed upload right onto the hard drive but you cannot upload via the USB port in the armrest.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

TRCB, Bashir, ek,

Thanks much for the info/confirmation about burned CDs. I might actually load some music into the music box now. I can't for the life of me figure out what they'd be doing with the other 3.12Gb of disk space, since they only give me 880Mb of the non-nav drive for music.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM
avmba

Actually, your best (and cheapest) bet is to buy a USB drive and organize your music into folders if you want the simplest and most inexpensive solution to managing music via the USB input.

If you want more functionality, then the iPod is the way to go.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 PM
mahig37x

yes, you can mix songs from various albums and burn them into a single cd and copy them to the music box :-)
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
cbach1997

Ripping music from USB drive

The studio on setup I have in my 2010 journey offers the option of copying mp3s from the USB in the center console to the music box. Tiny two gig storage means I haven't tried the feature. I leave an eight gig drive attached and have a few CDs in the music box at high bit rate for the good stuff.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cbach1997
The studio on setup I have in my 2010 journey offers the option of copying mp3s from the USB in the center console to the music box. Tiny two gig storage means I haven't tried the feature. I leave an eight gig drive attached and have a few CDs in the music box at high bit rate for the good stuff.
That's the first post I've seen anywhere about actually being able to load music to the box via USB. Can you tell us how to navigate to the option?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Joetechco

It will record burned CD's to the Music Box,,,,,,just not sure about getting the album and song info on the display.

Quick Reply: USB transfer to Music Box