Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help 12 volt connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
12 volt connection

Hello Peeps ... I have a new throttle controller that I can hook up via my OB 2 or hard wire .. So my OB 2 Will not work for my 12 volt source and I have to hardwire . So where do I tap into for 12 volts. I have never done this before and I need help . I have to tap a 12 volt source and ground my negative wire . So any pros out there your info will help a lot .. Thanx Blaine
Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The easiest way is to tap into the fuse box (since I'm assuming the throttle controller will be in that general area?). Then just choose which fuse you want to piggy back off of (some are always on, some are on in ACC mode, some are only on when the car is on), the manual shows all this info. Then, use one of these for the easiest install, make sure you get the mini version since our fuses are itty bitty (these can be found at any auto store). They have the benefit of turning one power source into two.
Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

Then, your ground can be any bolt that is attached to the frame. If you have a Fluke or similar voltmeter you can find a suitable ground source.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The most easiest is to tap it behind your cig adapter. It has a parking light, acc and ground. You would want acc since your throttle controller should be turning on when the ignition is on. Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
akuma_83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I second this notion... This is where I tapped into for my led interior accent lights... GL Bro !
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 AM
mikaly
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CDONNS
The easiest way is to tap into the fuse box (since I'm assuming the throttle controller will be in that general area?). Then just choose which fuse you want to piggy back off of (some are always on, some are on in ACC mode, some are only on when the car is on), the manual shows all this info. Then, use one of these for the easiest install, make sure you get the mini version since our fuses are itty bitty (these can be found at any auto store). They have the benefit of turning one power source into two.
Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

Then, your ground can be any bolt that is attached to the frame. If you have a Fluke or similar voltmeter you can find a suitable ground source.
I'd agree that the piggyback is the easiest solution since you already have access to the fuse panel. You also have the option of choosing "always on" or "only on during ignition". Cigarette and Accessory outlets are only during ignition on - which I guess in your case would suffice.