Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Updating the Navigation maps

Old 06-03-2018, 03:23 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
i usually receive the 99 around or after Christmas/new year, guess that's around the infiniti winter event so not sure if its coincidental etc...
Old 07-13-2018, 12:13 AM
Temptones1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
My CD player does not work..I'm screwed..I use my phone when I need anything my NAV doesn't know..I'll be damned if i'm paying for a program and THEN a dealer on top of that, to do something as lame as that . It should be done gratis but money grabbing dealers suck. I never go to an Infiniti dealer. I go where I can trust the service.

Who the hell uses CD's anyway? Even Ipods are old tech but if I want my own music, I just plug it or my Ipad in or plug my phone into the port. I can listen to anything I want . GPS ? No big deal if you have a phone now. For $150. you can buy a programmable for free GPS if you don't have a smart phone. I keep a GPS in my Glove box and my phone on the dash.. The in dash GPS is 10 years old and still is 90% accurate.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:50 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
I bought the update and boy what a waste of $140. I live in Maryland. No speed limits show up 99 percent of the time and it still shows Texaco and Chevron as points of interest. They closed all their gas stations in Maryland back in 2010! They haven't updated some parts of Maryland in at least 8 years!!! And just for the record, you don't have to do all the disk at the same time. You just have to make sure a disk finishes before you turn the car off. Just eject first. The next time you start the car it'll tell you insert the next disk. It's right there in the manual. Don't know why people miss that and keep saying the car has to be left on for 2 hours.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:07 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by mummy2
I bought the update and boy what a waste of $140. I live in Maryland. No speed limits show up 99 percent of the time and it still shows Texaco and Chevron as points of interest. They closed all their gas stations in Maryland back in 2010! They haven't updated some parts of Maryland in at least 8 years!!! And just for the record, you don't have to do all the disk at the same time. You just have to make sure a disk finishes before you turn the car off. Just eject first. The next time you start the car it'll tell you insert the next disk. It's right there in the manual. Don't know why people miss that and keep saying the car has to be left on for 2 hours.
Use Google Maps and Waze
Both are free

Telcoman
Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Waze it is a very good app but it will drain that battery lol
Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
i use here maps on my phone but if I'm going far enough or in traffic I prefer to use the car navigation.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Lancelot
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update disc set is currently $99. If you procrastinate while ordering, the the free shipping pop-up appears. Mine arrived Wednesday. I installed Thursday. Looked like the map in my car was the original. 1st disc is an app software update. I read an owner report the software update improved the voice activation for phone calling. Will see if I notice anything on my next road trip. 1st 4 discs take about 30 minutes. Last one loads in 5 minutes.

I have a Garmin portable that is much less hassle. I used with my G25x. The in-dash nav in my G37x was giving strange directions such as "when possible make illegal U-Turn". This was while driving on a floating toll bridge. Not gonna happen! Also while visiting Vancouver BC, to get to the hotel, it tried to have me drive through a section of road that was barricaded and only for bicycles and pedestrians. My Garmin last year successfully routed me around this. The Sirius XM order taker encouraged me to negotiate lower renewal fee when the time comes. I ordered traffic but not weather. We'll see if updated maps helps with traffic re-routes. I noticed the in-dash nav traffic feature to not be helping. They are tearing down a major highway that is currently a viaduct. It will be moved to the underground tunnel they just bore. Will seriously consider updating the in-dash nav in a couple years.

I bought a traffic antenna/receiver for my Garmin. It worked about 2 years before it intermittently shut power to the unit. Became so unreliable that I went back to using the stock power adapter (defeating the traffic feature). The regular Garmin map and software updates for my portable are free. If I get sick and tired of updating the the in-dash unit or the DVD player stops working, this will be my go to. It's just redundant on the G37x. LMAO at the car critics that didn't like the G25x cuz it didn't have in-dash nav where cheaper cars had it. That's what Garmins are for.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:20 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Anyone update lately? Curious how up to date it is
Old 02-26-2019, 06:16 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by teahead
Anyone update lately? Curious how up to date it is
Mine was updated March 2018 before I got the car. Its still garbage and definitely not worth the money.
The following users liked this post:
zbaier (03-29-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 02:11 AM
Mboxer511
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancelot
I have a Garmin portable that is much less hassle. I used with my G25x. The in-dash nav in my G37x was giving strange directions such as "when possible make illegal U-Turn". This was while driving on a floating toll bridge. Not gonna happen! Also while visiting Vancouver BC, to get to the hotel, it tried to have me drive through a section of road that was barricaded and only for bicycles and pedestrians. My Garmin last year successfully routed me around this. The Sirius XM order taker encouraged me to negotiate lower renewal fee when the time comes. I ordered traffic but not weather. We'll see if updated maps helps with traffic re-routes. I noticed the in-dash nav traffic feature to not be helping. They are tearing down a major highway that is currently a viaduct. It will be moved to the underground tunnel they just bore. Will seriously consider updating the in-dash nav in a couple years.

Pretty sure it is saying "When possible make A LEGAL U-turn" not "... make ILLEGAL U-Turn". Don't think Infiniti want's that type of legal heat on it's back.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:16 AM
Mboxer511
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If anyone is curious here is the link to purchase the DVD's. Just select either G Coupe or G Sedan for you car.
https://infiniti.navigation.com/home...InfinitiNA/USD
Old 09-24-2022, 09:49 AM
maxtog
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mboxer511
If anyone is curious here is the link to purchase the DVD's. Just select either G Coupe or G Sedan for you car.
https://infiniti.navigation.com/home...InfinitiNA/USD
Just an FYI to those reading this thread... when you go there now and select a 2009 G37, it just says "There are no longer map updates available for purchase for your navigation system." So those of us with older cars are just screwed. No surprise there. I never updated mine, so I am stuck with 2009 maps, forever.

This thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...me-models.html says the updates stopped in 2016 with version 8.8 with 2015 maps. Seems strange they would not at least sell the last version, or give it away free to people like me who are stuck.

The 2010 and above have updates, but only to "version 12", there is no date indicated (although the manual has a 2019 copyright) and says it is the last update that will be offered.
McStealth (02-27-2023)
Old 09-24-2022, 12:36 PM
Lancelot
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxtog
Just an FYI to those reading this thread... when you go there now and select a 2009 G37, it just says "There are no longer map updates available for purchase for your navigation system." So those of us with older cars are just screwed. No surprise there. I never updated mine, so I am stuck with 2009 maps, forever.

This thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...me-models.html says the updates stopped in 2016 with version 8.8 with 2015 maps. Seems strange they would not at least sell the last version, or give it away free to people like me who are stuck.

The 2010 and above have updates, but only to "version 12", there is no date indicated (although the manual has a 2019 copyright) and says it is the last update that will be offered.
Yes, I discovered this last year. I was updating every 2 years. I last updated the maps on my 2013 G37x in 2019. My in-dash map is obsolete. I am grateful that I bought a Portable Garmin 2595 when I owned my G25x. It has lifetime map updates. Out of curiosity I ran both this and my in-dash nav during a recent road trip across the border into Vancouver BC. You DON'T want to use the in-dash nav for that.

I plan to discontinue my XM Satellite subscription as I primarily subscribed to support the in-dash nav traffic feature.

Best~
Old 09-24-2022, 01:58 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Waze is always up-to-date.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:30 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
Waze is always up-to-date.
While that is true, using a phone doesn't display anything on the dashboard.
Lancelot (09-24-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Updating the Navigation maps