Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Radar Detector STI-R PLus with blue display

Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any reason why a cop would not switch to laser since radar detectors work pretty well? Is it cost? usability?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fezzik
Sorry bud. Just clearing up a quote you said "Laser jammers are illegal to operate in every state" . which is untrue.
Oh no **** is that what you were doing? Hahaha obviously I understood what you were saying pal, but like I said, Im not sure about the accuracy of that site. But either way I don't really care if it's legal or illegal.

Originally Posted by kkokko
any reason why a cop would not switch to laser since radar detectors work pretty well? Is it cost? usability?
Most of the time it's cost. Lasers are more expensive than radar
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Dude, its the site everyone refers to. I'm not trying to put you down in any way. I'm just clearing up facts for people who read this. I dont care if you care or not.

Highway patrol has more money to spend on lasers b/c they get a lot of revenue from tickets. city cops dont usually have the money b/c townships have tighter budgets. That's why city / town cops usually have radar and highway have laser.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a passport 8500 that seems to work pretty good. i notice around the city that ka is used all the time and mine works great for that. i will pick them up almost a mile away. i have noticed that at large intersections where they have multiple cameras to monitor it will set off my laser detector. it must be whatever beam they are using for these cameras gets picked up by my passport as a laser. it has done it going through the auto toll lanes (ipass) too.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Ahhhh. the awesome 8500. I had the 8500 second edition and it was awesome. It unfortunately got confiscated by OPP (ONtario Police Patrol) while i was in canada. I didnt get a speeding ticket but I did get a fine for having the detector and it got confiscated. That's why i got the STi driver b/c it can not be detected by the radar detector detectors.

I've never had problems with laser with my sti driver at any ipass or major intersections with cameras around the chicagoland area. I know the laser is working cause i'll get pegged all the time on 94 near gurnee.

Last edited by Fezzik; 03-10-2011 at 10:32 AM.