Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

body shop screwed up power windows,locks,etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM
demarco5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body shop screwed up power windows,locks,etc

ok so heres the story any recommendations?

i got remote start installed in the car few months back everything worked fine except the windows werent going back up 1/4 inch when i shut door. was told to hold window button down 15seconds to fix that issue, and it was fixed.

took car to body shop to get quarter panel painted because of a paint chip
he calls me he says hey buddy your windows are going down everytime i shut the door. he says he tried to reset the window system by taking the door off. i say no big deal i just gotta hold down the button to reprogram them, he says ok ill leave your keys on your tire

i pick my car up, no power works unless its not located on the door....which means, windows dont roll down, unlock/lock on door doesnt work and seat programming doesnt even light up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS there anything i can do myself to try to reprogram?
should i take it back to dealer and tell them what happened?
take it back to body shop for him to break it more?
take it to a remote start place to see if they can fix???
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
sounds like they couldn't reset the windows, so they must have taken out the fuse. check the fuse. if the fuse is there, they went into the door and disconnected the window/power lock connection.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Got to love these nightmare situations. It sounds like you have two problems.

1. The remote install seems to have caused a problem with your window control needing a reset intermittently. This intermittent problem the remote install folks are responsible for.

2. The bodyshop went beyond the scope of work in trying to repair your windows and made the situation worse. The total lack of door control functionality the body shop is liable for.

I would make them aware that they made matters worse, and that a simple windows reset via controls could have resolved the problem and ask them to accept liability so you can take it to a Infiniti dealer and get it repaired. It may just be a blown fuse.

Since the door has been tampered with there's a good chance it may not be covered by warrenty repair and also possibly if they think the remote start install caused it.

Once repaired you need to monitor this problem with the intermittent windows reset if the dealer doesn't spot the problem and address that with the remote install folks if it reoccurs.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
demarco5

i know this is gonna sound bad, but where is the fuse located
Old 02-08-2011, 09:43 PM
demarco5

thanks for the info, so basically i gotta call body shop in the morning and tell him i have no power in my doors and that he broke it, ugh gonna be another long day
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
they did something to my auto revese switch.
prior to body shop working on my door it worked fine.
now the auto reverse works until it hits the top of the window frame it goes back down half way.
hopefully dealer will fix it.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
subscribed for tons of FML
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM
demarco5

so i call the body shop, he says "since the window kept going down, we disconnected the switch, and left it like that"

can i take it back to you to reconnect today so i can try the 15second button fix

"Sure"

wow
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Amazing....what body shop is this so we know NOT to go there?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
msmching

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If they are painting the quarter panel.. why did they touch the door?? or even have to disconnect stuff on the door?? @@

did they have to blend it over to the door as well??
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

The battery probably ran low because they left the door open or a light on. The window has a failsafe that lowers the glass when the battery is weak. They couldn't reset it so they disconnected the switch. I 100% agree that they should have reconnected it, but you can do it yourself in 10 minutes.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
demarco5

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
The battery probably ran low because they left the door open or a light on. The window has a failsafe that lowers the glass when the battery is weak. They couldn't reset it so they disconnected the switch. I 100% agree that they should have reconnected it, but you can do it yourself in 10 minutes.

wow dude you pretty much probably nailed it, all i have to do to reset it is hold the window up button down for 10 seconds right?

and you said i can do it myself? i dont even know how to take the door panel off though lol
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

I think there's a "how to" in the diy section. You only need to do the first part which is to pop off the switch panel. You should see the connector. Clip it onto the switch and pop the switch panel back in. As far as the reset, it took me several times to get it right. There are directions on the forum, but it's basically: roll all the way down and hold fifteen seconds until you hear a "click" and roll it all the way up and hold for fifteen until you hear a "click".
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...oor-panel.html

Guess I was wrong, looks like the panel does have to come off.

Edit: if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, the bodyshop should do it for you without making you wait. Still shouldn't take more than 10 minutes either way.

Last edited by speedracer g37; 02-09-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
demarco5

thanks for that info, im just gonna have the body shop do it while i wait
hopefully allw orks out and that was the cause

Quick Reply: body shop screwed up power windows,locks,etc