Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

An idea for a Infiniti iPod Cable.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:25 PM
ImToast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An idea for a Infiniti iPod Cable.

There have been countless number of posts about the pre-2010 Infinitis not being able to charge a new gen iPod or iPhone because of the fact it only supports devices using firewire charging. I know about the charge converters you can get from various manufacturers and the solutions I see are quite crappy in the best sense. The biggest key issue is charging of the device and not getting the dreaded "Accessory not Supported" message on your device. The other is the fact charge converter manufactured do not hold or lock into the device so they do not come loose when driving around or possibly frying your device. The other issue is the non-ability to stow the charge converter and the device attached in a compartment because combined is too big to fit.

I am not an electronic savvy person and certainly are not near the skills of an engineer, but can pose the idea that could be feasible. I know that when you hook up your device to the iPod cable you are automatically able to control your device from the NAVI and basic functions from the steering wheel, so the communication from iPod to the NAVI is understood. So the only thing that remains is the charging. By my research the iPod cable is missing some key pins that would identify a valid accessory and would accept the charge provided it was on the correct pins. My thinking would be to build a circuit that would directly connect to the Infiniti iPod connector in the car to a small ciruit board that would take the 12V from the car and reduce it to 5V for charging. Now we would also need to add some simple circuitry to ID to the iPod that its a dock and that its able to provide 5V from the circuit to the iPod. This would remove the accessory error and accept the charge from the circuit. From the circuit a cable with locking mechanism to the iPod would be used so there isn't any play or movement once locked. You could if you wanted to coil the cable into the compartment and stow the iPod away out of sight. All of the other signals would be pass-through and you still would be able to use all your functions on both iPhone and iPod.

Any of you savvy enough to tackle this?

ImToast
Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Neiklot

Idk what you're talking about but my 2010 charges my iphone fine...I have the iPhone 3GS and my friend's iPhone 4 have charged as well...also if my phone doesnt need a charge my iPod 30GB charges and plays just fine....

before you ask I use this cable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Old 01-01-2011, 02:18 PM
ImToast

Originally Posted by Neiklot
Idk what you're talking about but my 2010 charges my iphone fine...I have the iPhone 3GS and my friend's iPhone 4 have charged as well...also if my phone doesnt need a charge my iPod 30GB charges and plays just fine....

before you ask I use this cable
Amazon.com: Scosche sleekSYNC Retractable USB 2.0 cable for iPod and iPhone (Black): Electronics
Actually, you missed the point. Pre-2010 G37s did not have have the USB connection that can be used to control the iPod/iPhone through the NAVI. the 2009s had a cable that would connect to your device, but only provide the old firewire 12V connection. If you were to connect a 3G or better to this cable you would get a message the connection does not provide the proper power but still would continue to function normally but not charge the device as it needs USB 5V to charge.

The cable you use would only charge the new gen iPod/iPhones not integrate with the NAVI.

ImToast