Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Noob question about Nav v. non-Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
i rarely use my nav so i wouldnt care about it.

backupcamera is standard on all g25's and g37's virtually in stock
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 PM
dawkins20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking at the same thing. I generally shy away from factory nav since my phone with google maps does the same thing, and I always have it on me. the only features that you seem to lose with the non-nav are the touch screen (still have screen, but need to use the controller) and bluetooth audio streaming. I actually have a problem with the last one, because I listen to Pandora, slacker, podcasts, etc from my phone all the time. In my old subaru, there was a aux in 3.5 jack that I could plug the phone into. The new Gs only have an ipod compatable jack, no aux in. No problem, I fugured, I can just use bluetooth audio streaming, only to find out that its not included on teh non nav car. Not really happy about this, since I don't want to shell out that much extra just for this feature. This may not affect you at all, but I wanted to make sure you knew about it.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the nav. Otherwise, you'll regret it later. I hate having extra crap in my car so an integrated nav unit is a must for me. The G Coupe is small enough as it is, so between my cell phone, iPod, wallet, and other random stuff, adding a nav system to that would be more of an annoyance.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM
dawkins20

Agree with above, but my Droid cell phone is my GPS and ipod, so the nav doesn't really make sense. If you wanted the larger screen size, than I can totally see the value. The problem with all OEM navs is they tend to be very behind the tech curve, but some people think the look is high end and they make buku $$$ for the manufacturers, so they will continue to be pushed.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
boiler725

Originally Posted by dawkins20
I've been looking at the same thing. I generally shy away from factory nav since my phone with google maps does the same thing, and I always have it on me. the only features that you seem to lose with the non-nav are the touch screen (still have screen, but need to use the controller) and bluetooth audio streaming. I actually have a problem with the last one, because I listen to Pandora, slacker, podcasts, etc from my phone all the time. In my old subaru, there was a aux in 3.5 jack that I could plug the phone into. The new Gs only have an ipod compatable jack, no aux in. No problem, I fugured, I can just use bluetooth audio streaming, only to find out that its not included on teh non nav car. Not really happy about this, since I don't want to shell out that much extra just for this feature. This may not affect you at all, but I wanted to make sure you knew about it.
Thanks for pointing that out... I spend most of my time listening to xm but the bluetooth would be key for road trips. I assume you can connect via the usb and control via the device just not dash controls??
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't touch screen only come with the Nav? Or is that on non-nav now too? I know on my 07 that was the case...
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 AM
joonrhee

I think it's the luxury of having the NAV that's most comforting in my subconscious. I had a non-NAV on my 2004 Maxima, and regretted so much I vowed to get a NAV for my next vehicle. Now that I have a NAV in my 2011 G37, I simply LOVE it. I think I only used once for navigating, but it's the fact that I know I have it and can use it anytime when needed. Plus, it's all the other options that come along with the NAV package as well. Get the NAV and save yourself from having buyer's remorse.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
and at least the 2011's w/o Nav also have the digital clock still on the top right of the screns
Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 AM
boiler725

I'm assuming the functions associated with XM are the same with NAV and non-NAV... Are the radio displays the same with both?

I've always thought SAT radio would get more customers converting after trial if stock radios had similar features as aftermarket receivers (pause, rewind, scroll through guide, recording, etc.) Are the XM functions with the stock G radio just your basic up/down channel and presents?

The SAT radio in my Maxima (non-NAV) is so horrible display and function-wise I use a portable unit with a car kit.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 AM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nav and non nav use the same functions for the XM.

XM is used by the Aux button and displays the entire XM in the 7 inch monitor.

no rwd, ff, none of those features. It's just like a basic radio.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get the Navi, there are just too many benefits compared to a Non Navi. The Non Navi is a boring screen, just looking at the Status all the time or watching the fuel economy will drive you nuts. At least with the NAVI, you can watch the MAP, or watch most anything else. Personally, I use the IVR for most everything I do in the car and that is something that is not available on the Non Navi. With IVR, I can be driving and tell my car who to call, where to go and more. IVR - Infiniti Voice Recognition, besides the Bluetooth functions work soooo much better and I would much rather have a touch screen then use a shift **** or arrow keys. I don't look at the Navi upgrade as just for Navigation, I look at it as additional functionality, as there is alot more I can do with the upgraded system. The Non Navi systems to me are like driving automatics, boring... no offense.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go get the Navi n you won't be regret it later down the road, is a luxury sport car bro..
how can do driving around with a car that cost 40k having a Tomtom/Garmin on your dash board. Lmao
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not to leave out as far as options, but the Navi model includes the following as well.

Infiniti hard drive based navigation system w/touch-screen
lane guidance
speed limit advisories
intelligent traffic routing
XM NavTraffic & XM NavWeather
9.3GB Music Box hard Drive
Zagat Survey restaurant guide
voice recognition system for audio & nav
digital video playback via USB port
DVD-video playback

Where as the Non-Navi sort of gets its package as part of the Premium package

Infiniti Studio On Wheels Bose audio system w/CD player
MP3/WMA playback capability
radio data system (RDS)
(10) speakers including 10-inch door mounted woofers & parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer
drivers audio stage
2GB Music Box
Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
Not to leave out as far as options, but the Navi model includes the following as well.

Infiniti hard drive based navigation system w/touch-screen
lane guidance
speed limit advisories
intelligent traffic routing
XM NavTraffic & XM NavWeather
9.3GB Music Box hard Drive
Zagat Survey restaurant guide
voice recognition system for audio & nav
digital video playback via USB port
DVD-video playback

Where as the Non-Navi sort of gets its package as part of the Premium package

Infiniti Studio On Wheels Bose audio system w/CD player
MP3/WMA playback capability
radio data system (RDS)
(10) speakers including 10-inch door mounted woofers & parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer
drivers audio stage
2GB Music Box
Old 12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
328HP

Worthless 2 cents

I had a 10 loaner the other day, I think it had the premium package since it had the SOW. I have Nav on my 10, I noticed the screen graphics and resolution including back up camera resolution on the 10s w/out Nav is the same as the 07-09s. The 10s+ are now on the newer technology with better graphics and resolution, this is just a difference I noted, nothing big.

My thing with Nav is its a must in a luxury (or semi luxury) car, secondly the intergration is priceless, and lastly you do get extra stuff with the Nav. If you are to price those extra bits, they are probably worth close to the Nav MSRP and that is before you factor in the first 2 points I pointed out.

Bear in mind you never get these cars at MSRP, more like 2-6 grand off depending on the time of the year, thats about 5-15% off the MSRP of the car so the NAV is not as expensive as it may seem.

Quick Reply: Noob question about Nav v. non-Nav