Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sirius Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM
jwkde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Retrofit

Hi -

New G37X owner here (LOVE IT)

In my prior car i had a Sirius Starmate - portable receiver for which I had purchased a lifetime subscription.

Obviously the G37 has XM ( I knew that going into it the purchase).

XM wants an outrageous amount of money for a lifetime plan ($499 + royalty fee +$100 for Stern, etc)

Even though XM and Sirius have merged they really have not - so no opportunity for some credit.

So while it may not be optimal, I am looking at installing my starmate in the G37 (I had done this in my prior car).

Obvioulsy I would lose some of the beauty of the Audio functions of the G37.

Has anyone done something like this - or have any suggestons?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 04:01 PM
IntangibleBW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've done it and saw how it looks / functions and imo its really not worth it. i ended up pulling out the system and just not having satellite radio at all. it's a real pain that you have to deal with that but i would think if you reach out to some of the sirius xm people that they would try to take care of you somehow.

it's a real shame but you're right that they're not truly merged at all and they have completely different radio stations.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 PM
4rnr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im wondering if you could call them and play stupid, just give them the new radios unit ID#

I also have the lifetime with Sirius, and was told that we get to upgrade units for free once a year.
after two years, I upgraded my stereo, called them, and sure enough, they tried to charge me $75, my reply was "get a supervisor on the phone" 5 minutes later, my new stereo was activated free of charge.
Just gave him the unit ID #