Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Why should I pay $77/year to XM when . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:32 PM
mozy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
yup buy a 2010 and get navigation package.
Great advice!

Or...

Search this section for "Bluetooth" to find dozens of posts/threads regarding cheap 3rd party solutions that plug in via aux (bluetooth to 3.5mm/RCA) or even the ipod port in the car (Anycom FIPO). They stream using A2DP just like the 2010, with a bit less functionality in some cases.

Back to the topic...

I just renewed XM even though I have tons of music and all of Shoutcast available for free. Why? Not because of traffic but choice. The more options the better. My $77 offer expired so they wanted to charge me something like $12/mo. I called and started the cancellation procedure and they offered me $85 (around there, cant remember exact price) a year. So I agreed. Always good to haggle.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 PM
jtla

Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, to each his own I guess, as I understand there’s no point in having it if you’re not going to use it.
But after buying a $40K+ car, that bit of extra cost seems reasonable to me. Look at all the other such expenses that are normal for our lifestyles. In my case, and maybe for many others, I’m paying:

• $35/month for internet service
• $130/month for satellite TV
• $29/month for home security service
• $11/month for Netflix
• $83/month for auto insurance
• $300/month for homeowners insurance
• $24/month for LA Times subscription

There’s probably more I can’t think of right now. But another $11/month for XM/traffic doesn’t seem so bad for this convenience that I find so useful.
Chekov, you have just helped me made the decision to renew XM+traffic with that post.

Most items on your list seem reasonable, but $300/month for homeowner insurance? Do you live in a mansion or estate?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jtla
Chekov, you have just helped me made the decision to renew XM+traffic with that post.

Most items on your list seem reasonable, but $300/month for homeowner insurance? Do you live in a mansion or estate?
Not really, but with my living in Northridge I have added earthquake insurance that brings me up to over $3,600 per year for homeowners insurance. The 1994 quake is still a bitter memory.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just not impressed enough with XM to even bother paying for it. Seriously....the sound drops on the parkway because of trees or buildings. The programming isn't really any better than what we get on free commercial radio here in NY. It doesn't even sound any better. In my last new car, I got the free trial period and still found myself listening to free radio almost all of the time.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM
kimchi29

i love sirius/xm. I have it in my current car and i will be transfering the license over to the G. For me I love Area 38 (all the big DJ's have shows), my standup comedy, my howard stern etc etc. the list goes on and on.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:54 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have an 08 and listen to Pandora directly through the iPod connection.
Get a y adapter to plug in the phone though the headphone outlet to the aux input in the car.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 AM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i love that its commercial free...i get to listen to the same song quicker. :\
Old 07-29-2010, 07:19 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed
1. "Free" in the sense that $30/month is already a sunk cost. I'm paying that no matter what. This is just a new application for me.
It's all relative. I, for example, don't have an iPhone. And new iPhone subscribers no longer have the benefit of unlimited bandwidth. Then of couse, the same could be said for someone whose sole purpose is to get XM then saying "Why should I pay $30/mo on iPhone data to stream online radio when..."

I have a regular cellphone where i pay $19/mo for unlimited web access, so i just stream whatever and use my phone's built-in FM transmitter - although i don't do it often because it defeats the purpose of having a "Premium" stereo.

If i can't find my "fix" on the Music Box, CD's, broadcast radio or the tons of songs i have on my CF, then i go back to XM.

Bottom line is, it's all about choices and having it available to you. Which, of course, is all personal preference.