Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Linking my iphone to 2008 G37

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 PM
dooozie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linking my iphone to 2008 G37

I would like to link my iphone/ipod to my 2008 G37 so I can play my music through my car speakers through the auxilary feature. It should be relatively easy, but I can't figure it out. Anyone???
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Get an AUX cable like this one

Plug it in under your armrest, and hit the AUX button besides your LCD screen and you should be set
The following users liked this post:
GDave (02-25-2015)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
dooozie

Thanks so much! I have bought so many different cables that I thought would work. That one looks good. Do you think Radio Shack would carry it? I am so glad I just found this forum. I've had my G37S Coupe since 2008 and I have wanted to do this for that long. LOL I knew I came to the right place.

Last edited by dooozie; 05-29-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: improve answer
Old 05-29-2010, 11:35 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

There's another cable that hooks up via USB, that would give you control over your iPod from your steering wheel controls as well.

I believe it's all clearly explained in the manual
Old 05-30-2010, 12:34 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what app are you trying to play the music from?

if you wanna play songs from the ipod app, you can use the cable that came with the car that plugs into the charger of the iphone

anything else you would need an audio cable like g37sam mentioned
Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beerme986
what app are you trying to play the music from?

if you wanna play songs from the ipod app, you can use the cable that came with the car that plugs into the charger of the iphone

anything else you would need an audio cable like g37sam mentioned
You just have to be aware that the original iPod cable on the 08-09 G doesn't charge the iPhone (or iTouch) like the old iPods....
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then again, you didn't mention if you have the premium package because I don't think the iPod connector came on non-premium equipped cars...
Old 05-30-2010, 09:14 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

I use this guy:

Name:  g37ipodcable2.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  82.1 KB

It works great - I just wish the car had a better interface to scroll through the artists/albums... takes way too long. They should put an index by alphabet on the side of the touchscreen like the Contacts page of an iPhone
Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
You just have to be aware that the original iPod cable on the 08-09 G doesn't charge the iPhone (or iTouch) like the old iPods....
Yeah, but neither would the rca cables. Might as well use the iPod docking cable that allows you to control the iPhone from the console screen. (unless of course, as someone guessed, he doesn't have that.) One thing I've recently discovered since my 5G ipod broke and I had to start using my iPhone for music is that you need to manually run the iPod app on the phone for it to work through the car system.

Just for some reference btw, from what I've gathered there are certain models of ipods which support charging via firewire. This includes all of the ipod classics, *some* of the nanos, and none of the phones I think. Although the first generation iTouch does support firewire charging. Only the models that support firewire charging can be charged with the G connector.

iPod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In that link^^ there is a table column for "connection." If it says it accepts firewire, or "firewire for charging only" then it should charge with the 08-09 G iPod adapter. Otherwise, if it's USB only, it will work but won't charge.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:33 AM
dooozie

I purchased the cable recommended by G37SAM and it worked like a charm. I was happily listening to my music as I pulled out of the parking lot. I don't remember getting any kind of a cable when I purchased the car. I purchased my G37S with every option they offered. It is loaded, so I would think I should have received one. Oh well, the problem is solved for $8.00 and I am happy camper. Thanks to all and especially for the quick response from G37SAM. BTW, the gal at Radio Shack really appreciated the picture of the cable I needed. Thanks again, G37SAM.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:58 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

You know what they say, a picture speaks a thousand words.

Glad I could help
Old 06-01-2010, 04:20 PM
cjkeno

Originally Posted by SleepyMonkey
I use this guy:

It works great - I just wish the car had a better interface to scroll through the artists/albums... takes way too long. They should put an index by alphabet on the side of the touchscreen like the Contacts page of an iPhone

If you want to use an alphabet type interface for iphone/ipod artists use the Genre option, on Itunes change the Genre from rock or rap or whatever it is on each song to the first letter of the artist and bam there you go!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:24 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cjkeno
If you want to use an alphabet type interface for iphone/ipod artists use the Genre option, on Itunes change the Genre from rock or rap or whatever it is on each song to the first letter of the artist and bam there you go!
Yup, that's what I did. It takes a few minutes but not that long because in iTunes you can sort by artist then multi-select all of the "A" artists, for example. Then right-click, choose "get info" and change the genre to A. This will modify the genre for every song you selected. Then you can browse by genre through the alphabet in the G.

One caveat is when you do this you lose the pre-programmed genres, so if you use those then this is probably not a good option. I never browse by the real genres anyway so I didn't care.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM
cjkeno

Who uses genres? LOL!
Old 09-03-2018, 09:43 AM
mutasemiv

Is it still Available?

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Get an AUX cable like this one

Plug it in under your armrest, and hit the AUX button besides your LCD screen and you should be set
is the cab;e still available? if yes how much

Quick Reply: Linking my iphone to 2008 G37