Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Use a smartphone in place of iPod?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 AM
cjc357

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a similar product. No specs on it though. EDR is a must have for these units if they are going to have good sound quality

Intempo Digital
Old 05-20-2010, 01:16 PM
mozy

Originally Posted by cjc357
Mozy, I read that that Anycom does not support EDR (enhanced data rate) bluetooth and therefor samples down the bitrate of the audio so it sounds kinda crappy. Mozy hope you have good results. Please report back!

Also if you connect via BT to the anycom, can you still connect to the car via BT for phone calls? They are two different BT proticals just not sure if my Incredible will do that. Any ideas?
Oh, I didn't even think to check for that... I tried to look up the specs for my current BlackBerry Audio Gateway and it seems to be BT 2.0 only and it doesn't sound THAT bad. I mean, I'm listening to 96kbs-128kbps shoutcast streams not high-bitrate MP3's so I may not be affected. Looks like EDR was added to 2.1 in 2007 so... yeah neither of these things have it. Still, I'm not an audiophile and I don't think it sounds bad.

I should be getting it today but I forgot I tore up my iPod cable to connect it to the PC (oops!) so I'll have to try this out on an iPod dock/stereo I have laying around until I get another iPod cable.

And the answer to your last question, yes, you SHOULD be able to do that. I'm doing that with my BB Audio Gateway. I can stream music, and when I get a call the car takes over. Android is also smart enough to pause the music when I'm using Navigation... its quite cool.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:09 PM
cjc357

I can't seem to find any of these adapters that are 2.1 I would think this would be a hot item bc so many cars and aftermatket car stereos have ipod hookup. Anyone find any other models that support 2.1 bt
Old 05-21-2010, 06:31 PM
mozy

Ok so it DOES have EDR (according to the box):

I don't have a working iPod cable, but I tested it on an iPod dock I have and the remote works (woo!). Got it connected to my Droid and it plays/pauses/ff/rw just fine! This only works on the stock Music app (which sucks). XiiLive (Shoutcast player) plays audio but remote doesn't work, thats a problem with the app though.
Doesn't show track names on my dock.... (I don't know if this dock does that) but we'll see if it does on the car? I should know tomorrow.

As for sound quality, I can't tell the difference between this and my BlackBerry Audio Gateway (also BT 2.0 with AD2P). Tried MP3's and Shoutcast, sounds just fine.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM
mozy

Just for size/cleanliness reference, the BB Audio Gateway vs the Anycom FIPO vs.... my torn up iPod cable on a protoboard:

Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 AM
cjc357

Sweet! I'm excited. Is there a version # or anything for that ANYCOM?

Also where did you buy it?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:08 PM
cjc357

Any updates mozy, hoping you played with it over the weekend.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM
mozy

Originally Posted by cjc357
Any updates mozy, hoping you played with it over the weekend.
Hey, I did get a chance to plug it in and... bad news. It DOES work, the system does recognize an "iPod" and it plays from my phone via BT and over the sound system but it shows up as ONE TRACK and ONE PLAYLIST thus no track switching no ff/rw via steering wheel controls or HUD... FUUUUUUUUUUU----

Here is what it looks like, sorry for the crappy pic:

It kind of pisses me off because my cheap $80 iPod dock works as expected, the remote control works and AVRCP sends commands to the phone to switch tracks.

So this means the iPod Adapter (not the cable, the actual box behind the A/C control unit) is pretty dumb with no AVRCP capability. I doubt a firmware flash would fix this (if one even exists) so we're S.O.L.

Time to get an iPod.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 AM
cjc357

Thanks for the update. I guess I cab deal with controlling tracks via the phone. How is tge should quality.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:24 PM
InfiniDrew

wow, that really sucks! I had high hopes for all us non-ipod owners. I really appreciate you taking one for the team and posting the results tho...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM
mozy

NP. It was worth it actually. The little AnyCom takes up half the space in my little glovebox compared to what the BlackBerry adapter does (as you can see in my pix a few posts up). Its basically just the iPod cable and the anycom, no power/audio cables needed.
So I might actually just stick with this even though it doesn't do what I hoped it would (steering wheel controls).

Sound quality is good, like I said I'm not an audio snob so I can't see a problem. It sounds really good. Won't compare to some high-quality cabling but then again this is just a phone, not a real iPod.

BTW I got it on eBay for ~$45 shipped, looks like they got some Sprint branded ones too (weird!).

Last edited by mozy; 05-25-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM
KG808

Mozy, thank you info on the Anycom device. I purchased it on eBay but can't get it to work. I have a 2010 G37 non-nav with the USB port. Trying to stream Pandora from an HTC Droid Incredible.

The phone pairs fine, but no display comes on the screen, no music either. Tried 4 different cables and still no luck. My Ipod Touch connects fine.

I tested the Anycom device paired with my phone on an iHome and it works great.

Any ideas?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 AM
cjc357

Hey KG. I bought the anycom and have the Incredible as well. I have the 08 coupe though with no usb plug, just the ipod port and it works great for me. I can not see song data on screen but I can control track up and down from steering wheel.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM
KG808

CJC, thanks for the info. I guess the issue is with the new USB port. I even bought a universal ipod dock to connect directly to the Car USB then put the Anycom on the dock... still didn't work lol.

I did find a solution though... connect the ipod touch to the car usb port, tether off my phone's connection, play Pandora on the ipod touch.

Funny thing is i had the 08 coupe on a lease and returned it just a few weeks ago for the 2010 model. Now i miss it lol.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Jackshack928

Hey KG, I am in the same situation. 2010 G37 sedan with no nav which means no BT streaming. I have a Droid X and would like to listen to Pandora too. I have an old iPhone and tried what you did by hotspotting off of the droid with the iPhone but I don't get sound through the system. Oh wait - do you set the system to AUX?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Use a smartphone in place of iPod?