Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Preliminary install pics (warning, pic heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Preliminary install pics (warning, pic heavy!)

Ok, so here are some preliminary pics of the install. It's not 100% show ready yet but functionally complete. You can see the car was gutted to install 2 large boxes of Hushmat. There are NO rattles. Although missing from the pic, I did complete doing under the rear seat which you currently still see as grey.

This is the trunk install with LED under lighting. I still need the box trim, lexan window over the amps and carpetted floor panels.

Speakers didn't fit in the old 6x9 space so we did a custom deck lid. Anyone notice the Bose plate over the speaker functionally covers a lot of it? Doesn't even give it a chance to sound like it should.

My baby!

Custom box with dual Mille 10" subs. We cut the logo ourselves to be raised in the vinyl.

BitOne placement over the old Bose amps.

Removed the ashtray to put the BitOne DRM controller in.

I should have the finished pics soon (as I finish it).
Old 03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
InfiniDrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OOOOOOOOO

Such great equipment! Lookin great so far. How long did it take you guys to take everything out and apply the Hushmat?

Do you have pics of the front speakers (mids) before the door trim is put back on?

Subscribed for final pics!!!!!! You should also add your "lessons learned" stuff (from the other thread) into this one since the pictures have a tendancy to draw people...
Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 PM
redfoster

Yeah there are more pics coming (my brother has most of them). It took about 20+ hours to gut and Hushmat the car and put the seats back in. Doing the backseat/rear deck alone was 8+ hours AFTER the seat was out. I don't want to see Hushmat for a while, lol! But worth every minute, it's pretty easy but tedious to be thorough.

From my other thread, here's what I learned so far:

-make sure the BitOne has the latest v1.5 firmware
-use a proper ACC line for the remote/key in or you might have funny power on issues (mine sometimes stayed on and killed my batt. so lesson learned)
-use the low level pre-amp lines or you might find alternator noise and de-EQ issues with the Bit (I did)
-I'm running the factory battery with no power cap
-every required signal is already in the trunk!! fantastic!
-the factory harness has plenty of room for 1/0 wire down the passenger side. It takes but seconds to run it.
-when running the BitOne setup you can have the factory HU at max volume since it doesn't clip

My biggest headache was finding out the keyed power isn't 12V. That caused hours of issues. And you can safely remove the Bose and factory sub amp completely from the car and lose nothing.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:06 PM
downsc123

Great looking install. You stated that the remote singal going to the stock bose amps are not +12V. What did you end up using for your remote signals? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't wait to see final product!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 PM
InfiniDrew

Hey, your ashtray looks different than mine (besides the controller that you've added )...do you have an automatic?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:12 AM
redfoster

Originally Posted by downsc123
Great looking install. You stated that the remote singal going to the stock bose amps are not +12V. What did you end up using for your remote signals? Thanks.
The keyed power to the Bose amps is 10V. I took the ACC 12V line from the Sat. Radio (pink wire I think).

Originally Posted by InfiniDrew
Hey, your ashtray looks different than mine (besides the controller that you've added )...do you have an automatic?
Yeah, I have the 7AT.

Here's a couple other pics (sorry some of these came out blurry, they were taken on a couple different phones):

New deck lid plate since the speakers couldn't drop right into the 6X9 holes...

Finished rear deck lid!

Distribution block in the trunk. We side lit it with LEDs

Poor focus night shot of the unfinished trunk

In dash DRM controls.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 PM
InfiniDrew

That rear deck looks great! But those 6.5's in the door look so small!!! lol luckily it's all covered up and then it's only the sound that counts.

Are you able to close the ashtray door so you can hide the ausion controller to keep thieving eyes from getting too happy at what they see?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:28 AM
redfoster

Originally Posted by InfiniDrew
That rear deck looks great! But those 6.5's in the door look so small!!! lol luckily it's all covered up and then it's only the sound that counts.

Are you able to close the ashtray door so you can hide the ausion controller to keep thieving eyes from getting too happy at what they see?
Sure can, so everything up front looks factory when it's closed.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great work
Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM
DoubleD

Hey, I was wondering if you could help me out..

I just got my system installed yesterday. Exact same as yours except no rear fill and a JL 10w6 instead. I feel the installers aren't as great with the bitone as they seemed to think.. They set preset A for me (time alignment, x-over, eq) saying that when it was cranked to 0db this was the loudest unclipped signal that the speakers could handle.. As of now, preset is A is VERY slightly clearer than the untouched presets, but it isn't as loud, and the sub barely plays...

I know these speakeres can go louder... and sound better than this.

Could you give me a breakdown of the settings you have tuned on your LRx5.1? And a basic breakdown of x-over points/slopes you used?

Thanks so much if you/anyone can help me out!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:23 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Damn! best audio install I've seen on a G coupe so far.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 AM
redfoster

Originally Posted by DoubleD
Hey, I was wondering if you could help me out..

I just got my system installed yesterday. Exact same as yours except no rear fill and a JL 10w6 instead. I feel the installers aren't as great with the bitone as they seemed to think.. They set preset A for me (time alignment, x-over, eq) saying that when it was cranked to 0db this was the loudest unclipped signal that the speakers could handle.. As of now, preset is A is VERY slightly clearer than the untouched presets, but it isn't as loud, and the sub barely plays...

I know these speakeres can go louder... and sound better than this.

Could you give me a breakdown of the settings you have tuned on your LRx5.1? And a basic breakdown of x-over points/slopes you used?

Thanks so much if you/anyone can help me out!
Sure. I haven't even touched the EQ yet (you should wait 2 weeks for the speakers to relax and break in first) and I can boom! Before I haul out my laptop a couple things you can look at are..

1. Check the levels they have set for each channel, are they as high as they can go? (not that necessarily they should be)
  2. Of course make sure the HU is cranked to max volume
  3. If you have access to a scope, disconnect the speakers and measure the amp output. Crank the gain until the sound clips (best if you have a tone CD), then turn it back a little to pre-clip. The shop should have done this, Audison requires it from people that carry their gear.
  4. Set the Dynamic Equalization in the BitOne. This can really help bass, etc. at low levels. Set the EQ to how you want it sounding at low level, press Save. Repeat at max volume and Save. The Bitone takes care of everything in between (might help with the bass issue).
  5. If you have the same amps, what are you getting for output voltages?
I know I have the subs on 100Hz and I think a 24dB roll-off. The mids I think are 100-3250Hz and the tweets from there up. I'll check this since I need to tune it some more anyway.

I your box sealed? I found the lows got a lot richer after filling it 2/3 with Polyfil. If it's ported nevermind.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Haji

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For ported boxes use Dacron Batting. Helps a lot with the sound quality.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:12 AM
redfoster

You like batting ported boxes? I find it screws the tuning and harmonics too much. How are you doing yours?

Quick Reply: Preliminary install pics (warning, pic heavy!)