Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

music box

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
lokitiw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
music box

guys/gals Is there a way to download from the ipod to the music box? If not what is the approx. number of discs that can be loaded at the 132 setting. I can not find anything about loading the ipod so I would guess it is not to be done? THX
Old 03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lokitiw
guys/gals Is there a way to download from the ipod to the music box? If not what is the approx. number of discs that can be loaded at the 132 setting. I can not find anything about loading the ipod so I would guess it is not to be done? THX
No, there's no way to transfer from the ipod to the music box.

For the 9.3 GB music box, the owner's manual says it can store up to 200 hours or approximately 2900 songs. If we assume the average CD is about 45 minutes, around 266 CDs. Give or take a hundred or so
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
mindonmatter

Shadowman is right. No way. Seems strange huh? It should be a pretty simple task, but companies think they should govern people's ability to share music. If someone is going to share/steal/bootleg music, they'll find a way to do it no matter what. Sucks for us though.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
ShadowFuzz

It would take a little longer, but you should be able to burn your ipod songs to a CD then load the CD onto "music box"
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
SCWells72

How long does it take to rip each CD? I'm not using the MusicBox at all right now because I don't want to spend hours sitting in my car swapping out CDs. If I'm at home I'm not just sitting in my car, and if I'm on the road I actually want to be listening to music. If it's really quick maybe I'll rip a few each day, but honestly given the USB port for connecting my iPhone and the ability to play 4.7GB of MP3s from a DVD-R (on the 2010), it just doesn't seem worth the time to me...
Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have to listen to the entire song for it to rip. This is why I NEVER use it, because I rarely listen to an entire song start to finish.

If there is a faster way to rip, someone please let us know!

Originally Posted by SCWells72
How long does it take to rip each CD? I'm not using the MusicBox at all right now because I don't want to spend hours sitting in my car swapping out CDs. If I'm at home I'm not just sitting in my car, and if I'm on the road I actually want to be listening to music. If it's really quick maybe I'll rip a few each day, but honestly given the USB port for connecting my iPhone and the ability to play 4.7GB of MP3s from a DVD-R (on the 2010), it just doesn't seem worth the time to me...
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have to listen to the entire song for it to rip. This is why I NEVER use it, because I rarely listen to an entire song start to finish.

If there is a faster way to rip, someone please let us know!
No, the whole CD (10-15 songs) is ripped in around 10 minutes.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 PM
SindhiStyle

Looks like I need to take a look at this again! LOL Can you rip a mp3 cd that has 200+ songs? or just music cds?

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
No, the whole CD (10-15 songs) is ripped in around 10 minutes.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 PM
2009Black

The problem with the Music Box is the damn Gracenote software doesn't recognize song title and artist unless it's a retail purchased CD. Even legally downloaded MP3's put on a Mix CD don't get properly recognized. At least that was my experience.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM
x95stacey

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
Looks like I need to take a look at this again! LOL Can you rip a mp3 cd that has 200+ songs? or just music cds?
Haaa, I wish it was that easy. Only music CDs.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Bottom line - The musicbox is great in theory but poorly executed...
Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Wiggum

There is also some type of update for titles. I really don't know if this helps with the name or not but here is the link

Infiniti Music Box | Updates from Gracenote | Infiniti USA
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009Black
The problem with the Music Box is the damn Gracenote software doesn't recognize song title and artist unless it's a retail purchased CD. Even legally downloaded MP3's put on a Mix CD don't get properly recognized. At least that was my experience.
If you burn a cd exactly the way it is sold (same songs in the same order) it will recognize it. Gracenote uses the number of tracks, and the running time of each to lookup the album and song names.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009Black
The issues here isn't the 'poor' implimentation of the music box but on Grace notes. Even if it is a burned music cd (out of order) and tried playing it on your computer it wouldn't recognize the cd. If you burn the files in their native mp3 format its a data file. That would require additional programing to now copy the files onto the hard drive.

Also the limitation of coping files from your ipod is through no fault of infiniti, blame the music companies and apple for that. Its the same reason you can't (not easily i.e. legally) copy music from your friends ipod to your computer.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 AM
XSman

The ipod sync is great but the musicbox is fail IMO.

Quick Reply: music box