Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

music box

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 AM
lokitiw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I loaded a 16GB memory stick with music and play through the USB. While I can't put it on the music box it is small and I can code them to leave in the center rest. The box does tell me all the songs etc. Next best I guess.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you burn a data disc with mp3 or wma (not an audio cd) the music box will be able to read and display the song title information. Same goes if you use a CF or USB, depending on what you have. But unfortunately you can't transfer anything to the hard drive that way. I beleive

For me, I just keep my ipod connected all the time and therefore I don't really need to use anything else. Otherwise I'd probably get a 16GB CF card and put my library on that. Assuming the system can read a card that big or that many songs off the card.

Somehow I don't think I'm going to rip many CDs unless a friend brings one into the car or something -- I haven't even done a single disc in 4 months. Sometimes that makes me feel like I'm not getting my money's worth if I don't use all the features, but whatever. But long ago I already ripped my CDs onto my PC at home and put them on my ipod, so no need.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
I'd probably get a 16GB CF card and put my library on that.
The head unit can only read 512 tracks, no matter how big the card. So It does not make sense to get a CF card bigger than 4 GB.

I tried MisicBox and CF, got tired of the limitations and just bought the biggest iPod I could find - 7th Gen 160 GB Classic. Haven't looked back. The experience is so much better than the other two options. This coming from a Microsoft fanboi.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 PM
2009Black

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FourT2
The head unit can only read 512 tracks, no matter how big the card. So It does not make sense to get a CF card bigger than 4 GB.

I tried MisicBox and CF, got tired of the limitations and just bought the biggest iPod I could find - 7th Gen 160 GB Classic. Haven't looked back. The experience is so much better than the other two options. This coming from a Microsoft fanboi.
What he said. Went and bought myself a 2nd gen nano on Ebay and haven't looked back at the music box.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 PM
JMacsG37

I use the iPod mostly...Music box can work just not sure how it does all the features. I bought a CD and had to put in all the info myself. I put in my burned CDs and it had the info, seemed weird.

And when burning them to the music box, you can still listen to the radio/iPod. It'll keep copying as you go. So those who don't want to sit in their driveway putting in CDs don't need to.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:57 AM
as1

Hmm... that's odd. I've burned custom CDs via iTunes and MusicBox pulled the right songs names, etc. without any problems. It is a PITA that it doesn't support mp3 CDs though.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 PM
G hits the spot

Originally Posted by FourT2

I just purchased and loaded a CF card (4GB) with about 500 songs,and it works great.Leave it in the dash slot and forget about it.
Are you saying it will only read 512 songs max?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Music Box FAQ - The Infiniti G37 Information Resource

According to that and what various other people have posted on the web, it seems the player will only read 512 songs from the CF. So if you want to add more, you'll probably have to get another CF card and switch them out when you need to.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Ryan D.

Originally Posted by blackfunk
The issues here isn't the 'poor' implimentation of the music box but on Grace notes. Even if it is a burned music cd (out of order) and tried playing it on your computer it wouldn't recognize the cd. If you burn the files in their native mp3 format its a data file. That would require additional programing to now copy the files onto the hard drive.

Also the limitation of coping files from your ipod is through no fault of infiniti, blame the music companies and apple for that. Its the same reason you can't (not easily i.e. legally) copy music from your friends ipod to your computer.
download media monkey...makes life easy
Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 PM
G hits the spot

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Music Box FAQ - The Infiniti G37 Information Resource

According to that and what various other people have posted on the web, it seems the player will only read 512 songs from the CF. So if you want to add more, you'll probably have to get another CF card and switch them out when you need to.
I'm already at 500,so I'll try it and report back.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Nobes

Originally Posted by as1
Hmm... that's odd. I've burned custom CDs via iTunes and MusicBox pulled the right songs names, etc. without any problems. It is a PITA that it doesn't support mp3 CDs though.
You must have the "include cd-text" box checked in iTunes before burning a cd then. If you do this, all the songs you burn on a cd will show up in the MusicBox just as you had burned them on the cd. It's a great way to load only the songs you want into your MusicBox.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 AM
blitzebill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infiniti and the Music Box are hamstrung by copyright laws.

just like the iTunes store or anyplace you buy music online.

now as for the features of the Music Box, Infiniti did make it confusing and difficult to work your way through the layout of the technology. But part of that is due to the chip they installed to make it all happen. i doubt there's a very expensive computer chip running things inside the MB.

and if there was, the price passed along to us consumers would have made it unaffordable probably.

but i'm impressed by having a 9 GB HD in a car! and the fact that we CAN rip our CD collection into a car's audio system is pretty damn impressive.

but there's always room for improvement!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm with blitz...could it be better? Sure. Is it awesome and incredibly useful as is? Absolutely.

I love the music box and all it can do. No complaints here
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
daneav8

It only takes about 10 minutes to rip a CD to Music box...and you can listen to any other source while you are doing it. I take 3-4 CD's along on my way to work and they are alll burned in about about 30 minutes. I have had my car for only about 3 weeks and already have about 40 CDs burned to the Music Box just by driving to work. And, like I said, you can listen to the radio or iPod while doing it.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Found my answer using the search. Imagine that!

I was wondering if I could download the ipod as well and it looks like "How 'bout 'NO', Scott". (gratuitous Austin Powers reference)

That Ba-lows. Like others said... I am not gonna sit in my car and load CD after CD. Eff the hell outa that. Especially if I can plug it into the USB and be listening to the iPod.

Quick Reply: music box