Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How to hook-up Daytime Running Lights

Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to hook-up Daytime Running Lights

I've recently acquired a G37S that requires daytime running lights for use in Canada. I understand some vehicles only require a fuse or to flick a switch to enable the headlights to be on whenever the car is running. Worst case is to install a new relay but I'm hoping there is an easier way. The auto setting does not qualify as the lights need to be on all the time.

Anyone know how daytime running lights are enabled for the 08 G37S?

Last edited by Mid-Life Crisis; 12-08-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:53 AM
HP_John

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I normally wouldn't take anything to Cdn Tire but a lot of places said they didn't want to risk anything on a "high-end" car (that is, they weren't sure how to do it & didn't want to take a chance). The few places that said they would do it wanted ridiculous $ (like $500). I found a Cdn Tire that said they had done it on a G35 & they wanted less than $200. Some other Cdn Tires I called didn't want to touch a G37 either, so it depends.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 PM
kmare

i did it myself; you should be able to find a post I made in the Canada section. Have you tried just taking it to CDN tire with the auto setting? I've read lots of posts about cars passing with auto or even noDRLs

Last edited by kmare; 12-10-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Thanks to kmare for the excellent post in
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...t=Kmare&page=4

I will repeat his instructions for others:
*** Update: Jan 1, 2008 ***
I decided to rewire my DRL's since in order to clean up and hide the wiring and modules. If you want to do the DRLs yourself, the best bet is to do everything through the IPDM module, this saves having to remove the air intakes etc.

I'll quickly run through what would needs to be done:

DRL instructions

1. Remove the battery compartment cover
2. Remove the 5 clips holding the battery compartment trim to the chassis
3. Remove the battery compartment trim
4. Unclip the window cowl seal trim (seals the cowl to the hood) along the passenger side of the window cowl
5. Remove the 2 clips holding the window cowl
6. Remove the passenger side window cowl (there is a clip in the middle that is used to separate the two halfs)

Now you have access to the IPDM

7. Unhook the negative battery terminal and tape/cover the connector to ensure that it does not re-contact the terminal
8. Lift out the IPDM (located right next to the battery against the fender), press the two clips and lift up and out
9. Open the IPDM, you will see all the power wiring for the car; you will have to use the service manual to confirm which wires - but you need the following:
LH Fog, RH Fog (I cut these wires, see below)
12V IGN Source (I spliced into the Windshield washer pump supply)
10. Hookup relay or DRL module

my DRL module is hooked up as follows:

Fused +12V -- hooked directly to the +ive terminal on the battery
Ground -- hooked to ground point on the chassis
High Beam -- This goes to LH Fog, RH Fog lamps
Low Beam -- This goes to the LH Fog Relay
Ignition -- This is spliced to the source

Essentially when the IGN is on the fog lights come on, when I turn on the main lights I can still control the fogs manually by using original fog light switch (except the controls are reversed).

Hope this helps, I spent a good couple days going through the service manual trying to figure everything out -- I could do a DRL conversion in about an hour now.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...t=Kmare&page=4

I'll try it myself first over the Xmas break.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

I'm going through the steps to enable the DRL for my US bought G37 and notice on the IPDM there is a label DTRL which I assume to be Day Time Running Lights (See photo). Opening the IPDM, I see there is a "missing relay"; (see second photo).

Doesn't it seem logical that one should identify the missing relay from NAIS (I think it might be CM1A - 12v which is used for the AC)? It seems likely that Infiniti would make all IPDM's the same and only disable the function for the US market.

Can an owner of a Canadian bought G37 open their IPDM and advise what is different?

Comments?
Attached Thumbnails How to hook-up Daytime Running Lights-ipdm-cover.jpg   How to hook-up Daytime Running Lights-ipdm-open.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 AM
kmare

My understanding at the time was that in new vehicles nothing is really switch/relay controlled everything is electronic through the BCM. The relay logic to turn off/on the DRL would reside in the BCM system. The Canadian BCM is designed to turn on the DRLs when the vehicle is turned on, parking break off etc the US BCM is designed to only turn on the DRLs with the headlight switch.

I do seem to remember the empty relay spot, and tried probing it for a +12V which I seem to recall either didnt' give me one, or gave me one that was not suitable for DRLs. If the issue is there is no +12, try starting the car and disengaging the parking brake - this would be the trigger for the DRL (I dont think I got that far in my testing). The next test would be to put a fuse in and see if you measure 12V when the fog lights are manually engaged. If you get both then you probably have a very easy solution!

If you do get that far then you could try throwing a relay and fuse in and see what happens. I took a quick look at the service manual and there is no mention of the DRL relay fuse -- perhaps our IPDM is a carry over from other models (Nissan) and the fuse relay is used be other models?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Mid-Life Crisis

I also read through the downloaded service manual which was very detailed but too much information to follow. I discussed the issue with several colleagues who convinced me it is probably controlled by the firmware. The hardware is there but the software is not.

I stopped at the Infiniti dealer today to see if they would reflash the firmware with a Canadian version. They advised they could install a "DRL module for the car" that would leave the fog lights on all the time for $350 +taxes. I questioned this and believe they are charging a bunch to do a relay hook-up. It would not be using the installed fuse or IPDM.

My conclusion is to go back and follow the instructions originally developed by kmare. There is another interesting post that shows a similar arrangement but I recall it was for a G35. I'll take it to CDN Tire for their "inspection" and see what they have to say. I have until Jan 17 to get the car plated.

Last edited by Mid-Life Crisis; 01-06-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
does anyone know if the DRL are on, is it running at 6v's? or 12v's? some cars (hondas) are wired so that the DRL are pretty much high beams on half power....
Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
IMy conclusion is to go back and follow the instructions originally developed by kmare. There is another interesting post that shows a similar arrangement but I recall it was for a G35.

I'll take it to CDN Tire for their "inspection" and see what they have to say. I have until Jan 17 to get the car plated.
As it turns out, I followed the instructions at
http://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07-...us-models.html

as there were detailed photos available. All went very well except the modules are fairly difficult to access as the wires are short and crowded.

The results are as follows:
1. When started, the car has the fog lights on full brightness.
2. If head lights turned on (or if they come on with the auto setting) the headlights are on full brightness and the fog lights remain on but in a dim mode.
3. Using the fog light switch operates normally - on makes them full bright, off returns them to the appropriate setting (either dim or full on as described above).

In short, everything works as it should and nothing is inversed. I'll try to post some photos but perhaps they're not necessary as the G35driver post has ones that are quite good.

I had the car "inspected" at Cdn tire (free) and they went through the short checklist as provided on the Feds Form 2 list, about 6 items only. They were smart enough to turn the headlights off the auto setting but the DRL mods worked like a charm. The downside is they read the Form 2 instructions about ensuring the vehicle has an immobilizer installed and told me I require a Boomerang system installed and they couldn't pass the car. It took some time to convince them the car has an immobilizer installed with the factory alarm - I had to get out the manual where it says it meets Canadian standards.

When trying to get the car plated, I was told I now need the Quebec inspection . This was another separate inspection where they did a 100 point safety inspection (lights, brakes, exhaust, etc, etc.): $100. If anyone wants, I could post the Quebec form (French of course), but the G37 passed the 45 minute review.

Now if I could only get the odometer in km instead of miles.....