Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Window Reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
skmiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Reset

Hey,
Just wondering if someone can explain the proper instructions that need to be followed to reset the windows on the 2008 G37 so that they do not continuously roll down every time I unlock and open and close my doors.

Now before I get flamed that I should do a search, I have and have come across tons of different answers to this question, none of which work. These range from holding window down for 15 seconds then up for 15 seconds to holding closed on the sunroof, to pressing buttons on the key fob. So if you do a search theres no single anser to this. Ive also searched through the manual for reset and couldnt find anything on this and looked at page 38 as said by someone in a post.

Basically what happened was someone broke into my car the other night using the same technique thats been going on from the G35 apparently and now every time I unlock my car and open and close the doors the windows roll all the way down. Very annoying. Whats even more annoying is that you spend 40 grand on a car and infiniti has no one available to walk you through the reset unless your home between 8am to 5pm.

So any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
roll the window down then roll it up and hold the button for 10-15 seconds... Repeat on both sides. Problem solved
The following 3 users liked this post by TerribleONE453:
CharlieMac646 (11-16-2014), grateful2923 (10-27-2023), VelisG37s (02-22-2015)
Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
skmiller

No dice, didnt do anything. Rolled down, then rolled up for 15 seconds. Repeat on other window. Power off car. Get out. Lock car. Unlock car by pressing button on door handle. Open door. Close door. Windows roll down.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Andyrox

read the manual it states EXACTLY how to reset it. obviously if it still doesnt work, resetting is not the problem.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:00 PM
skmiller

Here is the owners manual online in a pdf format:
http://www.g37-tech.com/files/2008-infiniti-g37-om.pdf

I have run searches through the pdf and read every page that had the word "window" or the word "reset" on it. If you can perhaps better assist with what page and section state EXACTLY how to do it, i'd appreciate it. Otherwise I probably spent close to an hour and a half last night reading every instance of those words and did not come across any directions.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine worked with the 15 seconds down 15 seconds up method.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 AM
shiftz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your link was not working for me tonight, but this link did work:

http://www.infiniti.com/pdf/techpubs...-G37-Coupe.pdf

On page "2-52 Instruments and controls" (pdf page 126 of 416) the "Automatic adjusting function (Coupe)" section talks about resetting the window indexing feature.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 AM
ppc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skmiller
Hey,
Just wondering if someone can explain the proper instructions that need to be followed to reset the windows on the 2008 G37 so that they do not continuously roll down every time I unlock and open and close my doors.
The reset procedures don't disable this function, just restore the proper movement to 1/4" down.

A couple of weeks ago I had my windows tinted. Afterwards the autodown when opening was not working. I was curious as to how this was done. I tried the reset procedure without change. After reading the owners manual and the service manual I found nothing. Looking at the wiring diagrams I came to the conclusion that the door open switch on the B pillar was disconnected. Sure enough the screw was missing and the switch was loose. Replaced the screw and everything started working normally. If you want to modify things this may be a good place to start.

With the window switch disabled there are many things that do not work when the door was open. The interior lights do not go on, unlocking the door doesn't resposition the seat. I never did investigate proper locking, the security system etc.

The manual states: "When the door is being opened, the window is automatically lowered slightly to avoid contact between the window and the side roof panel".

I found that the clearance is very close but doesn not hit. What I do like is that the lowering of the window reduces the air pressure buildup allowing the door to close completely without having to slam it shut. With it not working every other time I found myself having to reclose the door.

Last edited by ppc; 07-30-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:14 PM
shiftz33

Originally Posted by skmiller
Basically what happened was someone broke into my car the other night using the same technique thats been going on from the G35 apparently and now every time I unlock my car and open and close the doors the windows roll all the way down. Very annoying.
I believe that skmiller is trying to avoid the full roll down of the windows, not the window indexing that should be taking place when the door is opened.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
skmiller

Originally Posted by shiftz33
I believe that skmiller is trying to avoid the full roll down of the windows, not the window indexing that should be taking place when the door is opened.
This is exactly what I'm trying to get taken care of. I have been dealing with the insurance company and their nonsense and now have to wait for them to send an adjustor and then for his estimate. At that point I can take it in to get it fixed. Not sure how long this will take, but in the interim I would like to be able to get into the car without the window's fully rolling down each and every time the door is unlocked and then open/closed. I understand that it may not be something I can fix through a reset, but multiple people that had the G35 broken into this way said that they used a simple reset to fix the problem as it was not mechanical in the door. Im not a mechanic so Im not sure if this is true.

Also, since this is a known issue from the G35 carried over to the G37, is there any legal implications that I can use to go after Infiniti to cover my deductible or something since they know there is a problem with this car and have made no recall to correct the problem? Im not a lawyer so Im just asking if anyone has any advice.

thanks all.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Geepers

Hold both of the window buttons up for a couple of seconds with the car on and it will reset your windows.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
DuncanMcGrundgy

15 second rule worked for me as well! Thanks 'TerribleONE453'.

This is my first official post. Just got my G37S last Friday and am LOVING it! I brought it to my favorite guy for tinting today. He disconnected the battery so that he could do the windows. I noticed afterwards that the windows would lower the 1/4" when I opened the door, but wouldn't go back up when I closed it. In fact when I would open the door again, it would keep lowering the 1/4" every time I opened it. I called the dealer service department and described my situation. first of all the guy gave me attitude saying you don't need to disconnect the battery to do a window tint (I'm thinking in the back of my head OK! you guys must not tint all the way down then.... NICE!!!). Then he tells me that I need to bring it into the shop and have stuff reset and that it's a really involved process. He said it will be $110 per door!!! So I ask if I can bring it in today and he said if I can get there in 30 minutes they'll do both doors for $110. Then I looked on this board and found this post. The 15 second rule worked! But what the heck is up with Infiniti dealer service?! Are they really that crooked?! If so I'm going to just start doing EVERYTHING on my own. That's what i did for my last vehicle. It never saw the dealer service unless it was a warranty thing. 80k miles on it and I did everything myself because I don't trust dealer service. Has anyone else had a similar experience with SHADY dealer service?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I think what everyone is neglecting to mention here is that there are two 'stops' when rolling the window down. The first being the manual and the second stop being the auto down. In order for this 'fix' to work you would need to pull the switch all the way back to the 'auto down' side. Hold for no less than 10 seconds then hold the switch to send the windows up for no less then 10 seconds again. Figured that out the hard way one Saturday afternoon. LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM
jb5674

People are missing the point here. Same thing happened to me, MORE than a few times. Took the car (G37s fully loaded) to the dealer AND...

1. First time around they replaced the window reg.
- conclusion: It didnt fix the problem
2. Second time around they replaced the NAV / Bose radio and the entire controll unit. Lil pissed that they wipped out all my settings and the music stored on the radio. Also, the shift **** was broken (tore the leather) and the car was not 100% complete from the deal. Long story short, had to re-program the entire car to my spec (think nav, radio, time, voice commands, ect).

#2. Solution #2 did it. Everything is fixed AFTER an entire week in the dealership. Not happy about that, but what can you do.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Italia311

awesome!! this just saved me a lot of anger lol thanks

Quick Reply: Window Reset