Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

New AV Control Unit has all voice commands

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:05 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if i can tell my car "temperature 70" and it does it...does that mean i have what OP has?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, it does
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
The AV Control Unit is right behind the center console. If you put in a CD to listen to you slide it into the AV Control Unit. Negative on turning them back on. The unit has to be reprogrammed. There are no switches or anything.

As for the part number I will call the dealership on Monday and see what he says. And check on pricing.

Any luck on that part number?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 AM
prutkows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You have got to be freaking kidding me??? I'm ecstatic for you but it further proves that the whole thing about not being able to install full voice command capabilities in cars manufactured after xxx date is complete horse crap. Now I'm more pissed off about it than I was before!
agree
Old 07-02-2008, 03:26 PM
MoDat

Originally Posted by prutkows
agree
2nd

This is soo lame.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
rotarypower

Did you read your manual?

Hey guys...I think this might be my first post....anyway, I've been lurking around since day one. I finally got my custom order car last week, May 2008 build date!!! Red, graphite interior, 6MT, with Nav and Tech. Awesome. But, I too am in despair to some extent because so much of the electronics is locked down when in motion. Quite frankly, it sucks, especially with the dumbed down voice recognition.

Anyway, point of my post is to say, if you read your manual, you will see the Canadian cars still have all the voice commands. So, obviously, this isn't about the hardware, it's simply a liability issue within the US (at least that is the only thing that makes sense to me).

Now, one thing is odd in that I had a co-worker in the car, front passenger seat, and he was able to scroll through multiple screens of restaurants as we were trying out the navigation system looking for an Indian restaurant in Cary, NC. While I was on US1 N he was able to scroll through about 5 or 6 pages before we found the restaraunt.....It seems like the car let us do this because he was in the passenger seat? I have read many post of people complaining that this should be a capability of the system....somehow it seemed to work on my car while in motion (approx. 65 mph). I know it does lock me out of the system when I am driving alone.

Hey, here are ALL the commands in my car!

Infiniti G37 Voice Commands

Navigation Commands
Home
Address Book
Previous Destinations
Previous Start Point
Address
Places
Fastest Route
Minimize Freeway
Shortest Route
Recalculate
Route Information
Cancel Route
Detour
Show Current Location
Plan View Map
Birdview Map
Plan View Split Map
Birdview Split Map
Heading Up
North Up
Zoom In
Zoom Out
Landmark Icons
Guidance Voice
Guidance Voice Repeat
Store Location

Phone Commands
Redial
Dial Number
Phonebook
Outgoing Calls
Incoming Calls
International Call

Audio Commands
Radio
Radio AM
Radio FM
Satellite Radio
Music Box
CD
iPod

Information Commands
Traffic Info.
Fuel Economy
Maintenance

Climate Commands
Climate Control
Climate Control Off

Help
Help

Last edited by rotarypower; 07-02-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
weave

^

Yea, you got the gheto version like most of us
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
fkat
Registered Member

This is good news. There is still some hope left for us that got gypped by Infiniti. After we get the detail and confirm from OP I think we need to demand Infiniti to get the dealers to reflash our head unit.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Dieseldoug22

Originally Posted by weave
Any luck on that part number?
Sorry haven't had a chance to call yet. I will work on it tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 AM
rotarypower

Reality check

Originally Posted by fkat
This is good news. There is still some hope left for us that got gypped by Infiniti. After we get the detail and confirm from OP I think we need to demand Infiniti to get the dealers to reflash our head unit.
Hey guys, I am an engineer for a major US corp. that produces "vehicles" and I can tell you unequivocally that Infiniti is not going to provide updates to our cars to change the NAV voice recognition system just because we don't like their latest implementation. There are many reason for this, one being that the O&MM (Operations and Maintenance Manual) is, in effect, a legal document. Something as seemingly insignificant as changes to the available voice recognition commands would actually be a costly change, and would only occur if the current implementation was causing some safety or regulatory issue. To change this would require an update to every O&MM which would be very costly, not to mention all of the logistical issues involved. You guys are applying a software only update model to a complex machine, the two couldn't be any more dissimilar. In short, it ain't gonna happen. Any arrived at solution will not be driven by Infiniti.

Now, if we could just get a CE or EE to copy the flash ROM contents over on a system that has the full implementation and figure out how to reflash our systems....that is probably the only way to go.

With regard to the issue above, I am sure that this was an old unit, probably shipped for service parts as part of the initial production ramp up. I would think that Infiniti would have had a VIN number break, and only serviced the early cars with this part number, and have a different part number for units with the latest implementation. Why this didn't happen, I don't know. Perhaps the parts guy just ordered the first unit that came up on the computer, and didn't take the time to enter the VIN number.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 PM
pdroth

Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
Sorry haven't had a chance to call yet. I will work on it tomorrow.
I'm sure you're busy - and we can all appreciate that very much. But I'm on the edge of my seat here thinking that just maybe I can get as lucky as you did!!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
weave

^

Me too....
Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Dieseldoug22

I'm sorry guys. I will definitely call tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Dieseldoug22

All that I could get from the dealership was that the first 5 numbers of the model number are 25915. Then you have to put the numbers of your cars model. He said that there are like 10 different models. I don't know what the model of the old unit is.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 PM
weave

Hum.....we need to get an electronic copy of the parts CD for this car so we can make sense of this

Quick Reply: New AV Control Unit has all voice commands