Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Auto lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM
hankuknamza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto lock?

does the door auto lock when you get off the car and leave unlocked?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does not auto lock
Old 02-14-2008, 04:58 PM
hankuknamza

that's weird, because that's what i thought too from reading posts here.
So, yesterday, I met up with my friend in a parking lot and having a cigarette around my car. I get out of my car and leave the door unlocked (only the driver's side was unlocked), and while having a chat with my friend, I hear a lock sound from my car (no, i didnt accidently press the lock button on the key). I was like "hm that was weird, I thought it doesn't auto lock" so I unlocked the driver door and tried again...and waited for like 2 min or so and it locks again. anyone else experience this?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The doors will lock if you unlock them and do not open a door for 30 seconds. There's no other auto lock feature or anything remotely close.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe/hopefully there is setting for this? I know I've forgotten to lock my car a couple of times and it was still unlocked after 8 hours.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:08 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

A setting, from Infiniti??? NEVER LOL.

Grab yourself an aftermarket fob, something you can find should lock after 30 feet and a remote start as well. A couple hundred bucks would be worth it seeing you could have lost a bunch of stuff from your vehicle had it been opened.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
The doors will lock if you unlock them and do not open a door for 30 seconds. There's no other auto lock feature or anything remotely close.
Actually, I've had a different experience with this. Mine doesn't auto lock all the time. I do remember a few times when it did do it, but most of the time I'll leave my car in the garage unlocked and when I go back in the morning it's still unlocked.

Is there some sort of setting to activate this?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:05 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

That's not the same as unlocking it without opening a door. Go in your garage now, with the car unlocked or locked, press the unlock button again, wait 30, doors will lock.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 AM
chasemyaccord

So you're saying the doors won't auto lock when I park, turn off the car, unlock my door from the inside, get out and walk away? If anything, it would be those situations where I'd want the car to auto lock. That defeats the purpose IMO...unless I'm misinterpreting what you said.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are two scenarios to help you understand this problem:

1. You unlock your car, turn the ignition on, turn ignition off, and walk away.... car will NOT automatically lock...

2. You unlock your car, start talking to your friend, decide not to turn ignition on, and then walk away from the car.... 30 seconds later doors lock.

Notice how the main variable is turning the ignition on... If you do it, you don't get the auto lock. I know, it should be the other way around, along with automatic lock after you reach a certain speed...

Only way to do it is with an aftermarket switch.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
IP37

seems like mine auto locks if i use the keyfob to unlock the door, but not if i use the button on the door to unlock
Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by marsb007
Here are two scenarios to help you understand this problem:

1. You unlock your car, turn the ignition on, turn ignition off, and walk away.... car will NOT automatically lock...

2. You unlock your car, start talking to your friend, decide not to turn ignition on, and then walk away from the car.... 30 seconds later doors lock.

Notice how the main variable is turning the ignition on... If you do it, you don't get the auto lock. I know, it should be the other way around, along with automatic lock after you reach a certain speed...

Only way to do it is with an aftermarket switch.
Ahhh, so the ignition is the key. I understand how it works, although it still makes no sense to me why they'd design it the way they did. I'll be looking forward to that switch from KP in the near future.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 AM
marsb007

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Ahhh, so the ignition is the key. I understand how it works, although it still makes no sense to me why they'd design it the way they did. I'll be looking forward to that switch from KP in the near future.
I thought about getting the switch too, but I'm a little weary of people starting to slice different things into the car's wiring...

First, the moment you take any body panels off, chances are they'll never go back the same way. Second, if anything does happen, guess what the dealer/manufacturer will blame everything on.

And I agree with you... it's a retarded design. At the very least they should have the option to lock the doors automatically as you reach 5 mph or whatever... i think that's a good safety feature.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Post # 4 and RTFM

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Post #4 is correct. It's not the ignition. It's the door. This is copied out of the owner's manual. It is available in PDF format from G37tech.com

"Any door should be opened within 1 minute
after the door is unlocked. Otherwise all the
doors will be locked again automatically."

It does make some sense. It keeps you from accidentally unlocking.

Last edited by 04STi208G37; 03-20-2008 at 10:14 PM.