Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Hard Drive Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:25 PM
BayG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,

I just got my G37 about a month ago.

I hadn't even though of getting into all of the electronics of the car - but this is very interested information.

I'm a Computer Engineer myself and am extremely well versed in the Hardware Industry as well as the **IX based operating systems.

I've got the weekend ahead of me - and may consider pulling out the hard drive if it's an easy task. Once the hard drive is pulled, I'll have no problem working with the drive and it's contents.

It could be very very interesting information stored here.

If there is a guide for removing the hard drive, and it's an easy task - consider it done! Just let me know where it is, and what to do to get it out.

Both cars (non-nav and Nav) have the same graphical interface and backend operating, it's just that some components are missing from the non-nav setup. That leaves me to believe that the computer backend for each machine would be identical. The hard drive models you've mentioned appear to be PATA (IDE) hard drives...which means that it's possible their using FLASH Modules with an IDE interface to boot - and using a secondary controller for the NAV/Storage drives.

If they're indeed IDE based Flash modules - it could be a fun ride :-)
Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doooo it!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 PM
sparkplug

#dd option

I was thinking about doing this too but my isssue is price. the kprice or jacking it up.
I thought about dd as an option as well but then you have the duplicate of the drive but have wasted all that free space... unless i'm missing something. the man page for dd really doesn't mention the rest of the disk.
My assumption here would be to format the whole disk, dd the source to it and fsck'ing it after wouldn't hurt.

Any opinions are welcome.

If this does fail and I'm not willing to be the first to try it, Infiniti would charge mucho dinero to fix it. ...I figured based on windshield replacement from the dealership when I priced it earlier this spring costing $800.
my .02

Anyone know if there are other engine diags n tweaks or displays that can be displayed on the nav screen? I would love to see more feedback on the system in general while driving.
or replace the background at least.

Sparkplug
Old 06-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BayG37
If there is a guide for removing the hard drive, and it's an easy task - consider it done! Just let me know where it is, and what to do to get it out.
If I am not mistaken the hard drive is IN the AV control unit. Follow this link and it will help you take apart the dash. Just scroll down to post 16.

I am really interested in the prospect of having this done too. I would love to have enough space to put all my CD's on there.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:38 PM
08G37S

Originally Posted by sparkplug
I figured based on windshield replacement from the dealership when I priced it earlier this spring costing $800.
Off topic but I had lunch with a friend earlier this week and watched him replace a few windshields before we went. He replaced a windshield on a new Land Rover in under 20 mintues. Anyway, I checked their computer for a cost on a new windshield for the G37 and NAGS (I think it was NAGS) cost was right around $150. The rear glass was like $220-240 with the solar, heater, and antenna. The side windows were $100-110. The smaller side windows were only available OEM, so don't break those .

We took the Land Rover back to the dealer (grabbed lunch on the way back) and he signed off on the invoice. The dealer was charging $699 for the new glass and they were only charged $220 by the company my friend works for. Lots of mark up on the dealer end (as expected)!!!

I would try the company who your dealer uses for the replacement and see what they charge without going thru the dealer. I bet its closer to $250-300.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:22 PM

QNX is very, very small. It could easily fit into a piece of flash ram. Years ago you could "demo" QNX by downloading a windows package that imaged the entire OS onto a 1.44mb floppy, including basic apps. The first "live floppy" distro Really the QNX OS could probably fit in less than 4mb of disk space. It was designed for embedded applications just like the music box.

It could be that QNX boots off of flash ram (faster) then pulls the NAV data, etc ... from the hard drive. This would also allow them to standardize and have QNX running the systems on non-nav cars. QNX boots, it doesn't detect a hard drive, so it just disables those features/menus.

Keep it up, I'm interested in this now that I know QNX is involved.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Mike P

Has anyone gotten into the HD and modified anything. This thread just ends. Any updates?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 PM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by GregUMR
I promise You. I am a computer <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-0" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">engineer</layer>, I will figure this out
That's all.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 PM
hagerman11

Nothing new on this yet????
Old 11-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont get your hopes up, guys. If you really need more space for music just buy a bigger ipod.

Based on earlier threads, in addition to the whole drive format, there is a level of encryption that I dont think is going to be crack-able, and even if it was, you would have to relock the drive to get it back in.

I know everyone wants to increase the size, customize the screens, add new features...but I don't think the juice is going to be worth the squeeze on this one.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry to bump this up again, but...

I'm not really interested in larger sizes for more media as I am being able to replace it down the line when the HD goes **** up.

As with all HDs, it's a matter of time.

Perhaps in a few years technology will be to a point where replacing a component like this will be trivial through elite hax0rs.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:29 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
For what it's worth, the hard disks in our cars are rated for 750,000 hours POH (powered on hours).

So they're saying it could last for 85 years. Powered on.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:29 AM
levin91e

any updates on an attempt gregumr?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM
mozy

Wow dead thread is back...

I've tried bribing my friend with Navi to open up his dash so I could clone the drive (I even bought an exact duplicate drive on eBay, exact same model# as in the car) but so far no luck...

I, too, am not interested in increasing the storage capacity of the drive. I just want to see whats on there!

And yes, QNX is VERY small. Most likely the actual interface/OS is stored on a an EEPROM (not Flash RAM as mentioned above; RAM doesn't store data after power down). I don't remember where I saw the pix of the AV unit taken apart, but I think I saw some interesting TSOP chips on there. The argument here is that both the navi and non-Navi cars have "similar" interfaces and only the Navi cars have the hard drive. So the OS is probably not stored on the hard drive itself but on a chip in the AV unit. But obviously there's different versions of the interface on navi and non-navi, so you can't just put in a hard drive in a non-Navi and get musicbox/etc... I assume...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 AM
infotech74

hy friends

Hy guy i'm Enrico and i've been writing from Italy(Rome)
I have an infiniti fx35 2009 that should have the same navigation system of your car.
I'm an avionic developer of the italian air force.
I would like to increase and change the map inside my system.
I've been waiting for my car from the USA used by myself for one year during a course.
If the Infiniti europe will be unable to change the map of my car,i will provibe by my self to change the map inside(i Hope it)
I' already have the knoledg and i have already worked on the QNX neutrino and i thing the substitution of the HARD DISK is easy, but i should find an hard disk compatible with the original.
Have a good luck to all

Quick Reply: Hard Drive Mod