Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Q's Issues on Music Box and CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:51 PM
panj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Q's Issues on Music Box and CD Player

Newbie with some questions:

1. Appears can only rip from CD player and only from original source CD's (no MP3 or WMA CD's can be ripped to hard drive, can't use FD slot).
2. Appears restricted to non-max bit rate MP3's only on hard drive.
3. Though mentioned in owner's manual is trunk 6CD player really an option when getting nav and the resulting single CD player (probably just lifted sedan text without editing!).
4. Appears can't just record individual songs from source CD but must record complete album and then delete unwanted songs.

Hope I am wrong on above and/or gracenote software upgrade coming--very different software/hardware restrictions than competing hard drive systems (how about a USB port!).

Result: all previous work developing PC library and CD's with desired content can't be easily loaded to HD. Have to rely solely on FD slot and/or IPOD/ auxillary input to easily listen to desired music library. Probably use anyway since not ideal recording quality for HD. Big dissappointment for me though I could be wrong on above. I was going to just load full albums from jazz/classifcal/new age sources as listen to full albums usually but not that attractive if at lower MP3 bit rate. Would use trunk CD player if available for CD recorded collection but likely not option either.

Somebody please prove me wrong!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1. Correct
2. Correct
3. 6 disc CD changer is for Non-Nav, Single disc is for Nav
4. Correct
Old 09-26-2007, 06:50 PM
anotha

I dont know if my dealer is clueless or what the deal is but he told me there would be a 6 disc changer in the trunk of my g37.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Ah then the lower bit rate must be the explaination for those who state that the system "could use more base".
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
SilkeG

Lower bit rate would not affect only bass, it would be sound quality in general. Keep in mind, most people cannot tell the difference from a real CD versus an MP3 recorded at 128kbps bit rate.

When people say "needs more bass", it's a listening preference usually more pronounced with some types of music. Bose isn't known to give a lot of bass, their design philosophy for speakers tend toward the higher sound frequency range although the SOW is considered decent bass for a Bose. Many will address their bass thumping preference by adding an aftermarket sub-woofer.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
hopgo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So is the sound via the hard drive noticeably of lesser quality than the MP3 / IPOD connectiion ....or CD?? This just doesn't seem right!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 PM
moridin5

Of all of them, #4 bugs me the most. Yeah...I'd prefer a higher bit rate and all that, but for me...and maybe I'm weird in this respect...I have tons and tons of CD's, some of which I bought for just 1 or 2 songs. I'd have no problem grabbing a stack of them and putting them in 1 by 1 if I could pick which songs to record onto the hard drive...but I have to start at track 1 and record everything up to the song(s) I like? Hmmm...guess I better start hoping the majority of the songs I liked tended to be towards the beginning of the CD.

Seems like an extreme oversight to not allow selective recording of tracks off of a CD.

So a question...if I grabbed a CD-RW, and started making mix-CD's of songs I like (not in MP3 format, obviously, but a direct CDA copy of the songs) would the music box accept copying that? If so...then after the copy, erase CD-RW and start over with more songs. That'd probably be a lot of hassle...maybe I should just break down and buy an Ipod and join the 2000's.