Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37 IPOD Integration questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 PM
beestea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 IPOD Integration questions

So I am kinda "anti Apple" and hate being another sheep in the herd, but now that they announced real ipod integration to the G37 I am considering purchasing my first Apple product so I can carry 80 gigs of music in my car at all times, and have an easy way to sort and select the music using the navigation and steering controls.

I am curious if anyone has any details on how the integration will work, or how it is usually implemented on other cars.

From what I have read, it will be fully integrated to the G37 using the data/docking port on the bottom of the ipod and you will be able to control it from the car stereo controls.

I am wondering if the navigation screen just displays the same interface on the IPOD screen or will there be a different type of interface on the navigation screen. If it works by just displaying the video signal from the IPOD then does that mean that they can't control "video while driving" if you play videos from the IPOD?

How does this work in other cars and the more fancy docking stations that have their own displays?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Saqib

i dont think it will be the SAME interface, same functionality like 'artist, album etc' but i dont think it will have the 'simple' look of the screen. It would be sweet if you could play videos from the ipod, but because of all the 'safety' and issues, i think at the max it would let you play video while in park...
Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
bostonmerlin

my guess is that it'll look and act like xm sat radio. check out those screens from the 07sedan.. should give you a feel for what's to come. I expect infiniti will have more details soon as well since their self-imposed g37 info ban for the ragz is now over... at least that's what i expect.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:07 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car & Driver has a pretty good, although not very detailed, description in today's road test. And, someone who was at the Stillen show posted a description on some other G35/7 web site. The Stillen car had the PremPack with the iPod integration functioning and some of the people there tried it with their iPods.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
BW5_Coupe

I don't know what it will look like on the screen, but here's what the physical interface looks like. This picture was taken in the 6mt at Stillen.
Attached Thumbnails G37 IPOD Integration questions-ipodint.jpg  
Old 06-24-2007, 10:52 PM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by dmkozak
Car & Driver has a pretty good, although not very detailed, description in today's road test. And, someone who was at the Stillen show posted a description on some other G35/7 web site. The Stillen car had the PremPack with the iPod integration functioning and some of the people there tried it with their iPods.
would be appreciated if you could point us in the direction of that forum????
tks
Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 PM
CtK
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BW5_Coupe
I don't know what it will look like on the screen, but here's what the physical interface looks like. This picture was taken in the 6mt at Stillen.
hmmm what is the RCA cable connections for??
Old 06-24-2007, 11:26 PM
bostonmerlin

to plug in any video device. from what i understand.. video only works when car is not in montion.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
to plug in any video device. from what i understand.. video only works when car is not in montion.
Agreed and I also believe that the car's emergency brake has to be initiated as well.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
BlackWindEXE

oh man. those freakin RCA cables are perfect
Old 06-26-2007, 05:14 PM
CtK
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Agreed and I also believe that the car's emergency brake has to be initiated as well.
im sure there will be a hack for that!!
im just gonna load up my 60gb Toshiba gigabeat mp3 player with music videos and use that instead of the damn ipods!!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:38 PM
FlameOn
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm. My 06 looks kinda like that right now. But it's connected at the back of the NAV.

G37 IPOD Integration questions-ipod-car-pic-1.jpg
Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CtK
im sure there will be a hack for that!!
im just gonna load up my 60gb Toshiba gigabeat mp3 player with music videos and use that instead of the damn ipods!!
There's been no hack for the 07 Sedan yet, and I'm quite glad about it. All we need is a bunch of yahoos trying to watch movies and videos while trying to drive.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:11 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
There's been no hack for the 07 Sedan yet, and I'm quite glad about it. All we need is a bunch of yahoos trying to watch movies and videos while trying to drive.
You know back in the day there weren't cup holders in cars.. Why? Because drinking in the car was bad driving. Letting a video run is fine for people who are responsible, as in the passenger..

In any case, it has a navigation system. Is the video for it turned off while you are driving? It should be based on the no movie/video logic...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 AM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
You know back in the day there weren't cup holders in cars.. Why? Because drinking in the car was bad driving. Letting a video run is fine for people who are responsible, as in the passenger..

In any case, it has a navigation system. Is the video for it turned off while you are driving? It should be based on the no movie/video logic...

I dont believe video is active unless the parking brake is on.. regardless of what is plugged into those video inputs.

just so we dont start this topic again.. take a peek into this nightmare of a thread if you want to discuss nav-on-the-go!
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161801

Quick Reply: G37 IPOD Integration questions