Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37 IPOD Integration questions

Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
just so we dont start this topic again.. take a peek into this nightmare of a thread if you want to discuss nav-on-the-go!
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161801
oh been there. No thanks..
Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 AM
bostonmerlin

ha!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Ha! Sucks Crap!! I've been using that for everything I dislike these days. woot!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
bostonmerlin

not to stray too far off subject but i will be in line this friday to grab an iPhone. Latest rumour has it that although the new iPhones (ipod) connector is supposed to be compat. with most accessories.. some car hookups may not work out of the box due to software issues. U wont know till you plug it in.. but just thought i'd pass that along to anyone who cares.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
bostonmerlin

found this on the net from a poster (sspice) who plugged his ipod into a g37 at the stillen show. sounds mighty sweet!

The proprietary iPod connection is in the center console, right next to where the 07 G Sedan's RCA ports are. There is short cable that plugs into the bottom of the iPod, like a dock station plug. When you plug the iPod in, the screen on the iPod shows the Infiniti logo. I couldn't verify this, but I am nearly 100% sure that the plug charges the iPod, because the cable connection includes data, and obviously, power, similarly to when you dock the iPod on your home computer. The car was stationary while I was testing it, so I'm not sure if the touch-screen feature is deactivated once the car is moving. But yes, the iPod was controllable by touchscreen (if I remember correctly) and it is most definitely controllable by the scroll wheel under the screen, as well as the more rudimentary controls on the steering wheel.

It was great. If you've seen the stereo in action on the 07 G Sedan, just imagine that interface, but with Album, Artist, Genre, Playlist, etc. organization, just like the iPod. Once the iPod is plugged in, you select the input on the stereo, (AUX, Radio, CD, Nav... iPod!) and the iPod-esque menus show up. It was definitely a big selling point for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

I think I will get an iPod only for this and carry only songs for driving. I have a thing against iPods but this feature is sooo awesome. I'll see if I want to just get a simple iPod nano or something because I already have 3 mp3 players (one PVP - Samsung YP-T9J which is an excellent rival to the nano, Creative Zen Vision: M is an excellent rival to the video, and Creative Zen Vision W which is a fantastic PVP). The iPod nano will be my car mp3 player.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
beestea

Originally Posted by Yimbie
I think I will get an iPod only for this and carry only songs for driving. I have a thing against iPods but this feature is sooo awesome. I'll see if I want to just get a simple iPod nano or something because I already have 3 mp3 players (one PVP - Samsung YP-T9J which is an excellent rival to the nano, Creative Zen Vision: M is an excellent rival to the video, and Creative Zen Vision W which is a fantastic PVP). The iPod nano will be my car mp3 player.

Totally agree.... except I'm gonna get the biggest IPOD (80GB) that way I can put all of my music on it, and just leave it in the car all the time (except when I load new songs).

Don't forget that the compact flash card reader could probably be used for 2-4gb of songs (as long as you keep it under the file limit) and that would be a lot cheaper than getting one of the IPOD nanos.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by beestea
Totally agree.... except I'm gonna get the biggest IPOD (80GB) that way I can put all of my music on it, and just leave it in the car all the time (except when I load new songs).

Don't forget that the compact flash card reader could probably be used for 2-4gb of songs (as long as you keep it under the file limit) and that would be a lot cheaper than getting one of the IPOD nanos.
WOW 80GB worth of songs? lol. I have never even used up my 4gb Samsung. Even on my Creative Zen Vision: M I haven't used half of the capacity even though I have quite a lot of videos/movies/music on it, heh.

I have never used a compact flash card reader. How does it function with the car? I've heard that it functions like a CD sort of?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 AM
anotha

are we going to need a cf card reader to connect to our comps?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by anotha
are we going to need a cf card reader to connect to our comps?
Most likely unless you're computer can already read CF cards, heh.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 AM
anotha

Originally Posted by CtK
im sure there will be a hack for that!!
im just gonna load up my 60gb Toshiba gigabeat mp3 player with music videos and use that instead of the damn ipods!!
I had a gigabeat. I loved it. Then it got stolen.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 AM
beestea

Originally Posted by Yimbie
WOW 80GB worth of songs? lol. I have never even used up my 4gb Samsung. Even on my Creative Zen Vision: M I haven't used half of the capacity even though I have quite a lot of videos/movies/music on it, heh.

I have never used a compact flash card reader. How does it function with the car? I've heard that it functions like a CD sort of?
Yea... I kind of got carried away with the whole "collecting albums" Id say I probably have about 50-60gigs, but I have friends with more music.

I think the compact flash cards work more like having an mp3 player connected. You can organize your albums in folders and then search through them using whatever search functions the G has built in... otherwise you can browse by folder/file. The limit of course is the 512 song limit.

One thing is for sure... Infiniti *REALLY* went out of their way to add a ton of connectivity to this car.

Part of me occasionally considers the BMW 335 coupe, but then I remember how much I love my gadgets...

Infiniti has:

Best in class Navigation system with beautiful interface
XM with Traffic nav fully integrated in to Navi
Bluetooth fully integrated
RCA video and audio input to Navi/Sound system
IPOD full integration to Navi/Sound system
Back Up Camera with guidance full Integrated
smart key system
push button start

I really can't think of anything they left out... Maybe bluetooth data uplink for the Navigation, but thats probably still a few more years off

Last edited by beestea; 06-29-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:33 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
found this on the net from a poster (sspice) who plugged his ipod into a g37 at the stillen show. sounds mighty sweet!
so I'm not sure if the touch-screen feature is deactivated once the car is moving.
If so this is completely moronic..

Also will we be able to search for songs? For year sI complained the iPod couldn't search like my EMPEG/Rio Car but they can, at least the newer ones. There is a menu section where you can pick letters in the alphabet. For me this is an essential feature when you have even 15GB of music.. Again, let us use the darn thing even when the car is moving(passengers want music too).

If Infiniti is so paranoid about the driver using the screen while driving then they need to have locking mechanisms on the cupholders, cell phone jammers, an no mirrors on the visors.. Let the individual decide. Geez.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:35 AM
bostonmerlin

i have about 350gb of music... and i have a gen1 5gb ipod that's not full. the way i see this is that i'm never in a situation where i need all that music. the card reader would be enough.. but i'm grabbing an iphone today and plan to use that in the car for music on the go.. four or five gb of my music is plenty enough to have on hand. I mainly keep a few dozen podcasts, a few of my latest albums and the albums i listen to all the time. Between card readers, hundreds of xm sat radio channels, over-the-air radio, cd's and ipod storage.. there's not been a better time to be an audiophile on the go. Thew new g's audio options (Esp the ipod hookup) sounds to be a very kick a$$ option to have.

as far as the quote i grabbed off the net.. i expect the nav screens touch may be disabled when the car is in motion but the steering wheel and navigation wheel (big **** under nav screen) is always on. Makes sense to me. Hardware control means i dont have to take my eyes off the road that often to change music. I expect (as that quote states) the ipod interface/touch navigation works exactly like xm sat in the 07sedan.. check out that manual online.. if it locks the touchscreen while in motion for xm.. it'll prob do the same for the ipod.

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 06-29-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:36 AM
muscarel

Originally Posted by beestea
Part of me occasionally considers the BMW 335 coupe, but then I remember how much I love my gadgets...

Infiniti has:

Best in class Navigation system with beautiful interface
XM with Traffic nav fully integrated in to Navi
Bluetooth fully integrated
RCA video and audio input to Navi/Sound system
IPOD full integration to Navi/Sound system
Back Up Camera with guidance full Integrated
smart key system
push button start

I really can't think of anything they left out... Maybe bluetooth data uplink for the Navigation, but thats probably still a few more years off
+1000. If BMW just offered all the tech (and quality of tech) that Infiniti offers, I think I'd be closer to giving BMW my money this time around. I feel like in the long run, I'd miss all those things that you get with the Infintii (especially since you pay more for the BMW).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G37 IPOD Integration questions