D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: How to jack up your G

Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How to jack up your G

mods, can you please add the 'DIY:' tag to the post?

i made this video for all the noobs out there
enjoy!

please refer to this post as my suggested jackstand point may be UNSAFE!
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3311487-post4.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3311518-post8.html
IMG_0290.MOV - YouTube

heres a picture of where to jack up your car from behind!
Name:  jackuprear.jpg
Views: 16436
Size:  90.5 KB

Last edited by jujubii; 12-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Thanks for the video.. Some good views of the bottom of the car for those who haven't seen it before.

Is there a part 2 for the rear?

Is the main purpose of those red jackstand covers to prevent scratching of contact point (although it looks like yours is already scratched)?

I was thinking of cutting out rectangular wood pieces (oak actually) to place in between the jackstand and the car. This way the weight is more evenly distributed along that reinforced area.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:02 AM
Doggy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good video
Old 12-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your making things harder on yourself than need be. If your unable to get under the front center to get both sides, I think it's too much effort to break out the scissor jack and takes too long. Just lift one side UNDER THE FRAME RAIL, and put a jack stand UNDER THE FRAME RAIL. Repeat for the other side. ...probably could have had the car done before you spun that scissor jack. Or the other option is to drive the car onto pieces of 2x4s layed flat. Then use the jack in the center.

Second - PLEASE do not put your jack stands in those locations!! Your putting the weight of your car on the sheet metal floors of the vehicle! Proper location was the way you demonstrated at 7:05. Put the jack stand perpendicular to the frame. It does not matter what area of the frame as long as it's under the frame rail.

Think about it and watch the video, when you say not to put the jack stand under this "thing" at 6:30, it's the same place the weight of the car goes when using your method just on the other side of the pinch weld. The hollow sound when you tapped the jack stand to it is a good "not safe" indicator.

(BTW I did not watch the entire video, just the main steps)

Not trying to be negative, just giving some advice. Thanks for taking the time to make the video though.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:43 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Your making things harder on yourself than need be. If your unable to get under the front center to get both sides, I think it's too much effort to break out the scissor jack and takes too long. Just lift one side UNDER THE FRAME RAIL, and put a jack stand UNDER THE FRAME RAIL. Repeat for the other side. ...probably could have had the car done before you spun that scissor jack. Or the other option is to drive the car onto pieces of 2x4s layed flat. Then use the jack in the center.

Second - PLEASE do not put your jack stands in those locations!! Your putting the weight of your car on the sheet metal floors of the vehicle! Proper location was the way you demonstrated at 7:05. Put the jack stand perpendicular to the frame. It does not matter what area of the frame as long as it's under the frame rail.

Think about it and watch the video, when you say not to put the jack stand under this "thing" at 6:30, it's the same place the weight of the car goes when using your method just on the other side of the pinch weld. The hollow sound when you tapped the jack stand to it is a good "not safe" indicator.

(BTW I did not watch the entire video, just the main steps)

Not trying to be negative, just giving some advice. Thanks for taking the time to make the video though.
thanks for the advice! no one has really ever answered my questions (in the past) about where to put the jackstands so i browsed around and saw someone rest the jackstands the way i explained it. it made sense to me because thats where you scissor jack the car
(1) so that place definitely isnt safe?
i was weary about the frame rail cuz it feels kinda soft; you can also hear some 'hollowness' between 7:00-7:06. i havent the guts to try it yet. (2)but, just to make sure, thats where i SHOULD be putting the stands and in that manner (refering to 7:05 where the Yshaped stick is perpendicular to the rail)?

as for the 2x4 jackup method, ive driven my car up a 1" think piece of wood and my jack still wouldnt fit underneath. guess ill try 2?
as for the framreail jackup method, once ive lifted 1 side of the car, you would proceed to place a stand under the rail and proceed to the other side, correct? itd feel really unsafe to have 1 stand holding the whole car while you make your way to the other side

Last edited by jujubii; 12-22-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where did you get that jack pad for your hydraulic jack? I've been looking for one.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:54 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Originally Posted by bingpwr
Where did you get that jack pad for your hydraulic jack? I've been looking for one.
i got them from harbor freight. i dont know why they dont have them listed on their site any more, but if you call the store they should know exactly what youre talking about.

here are the ones for the stand 2 Piece Rubber Pads for Jack Stand
- regarding the earlier post about the these pads being scratched, it was damaged cuz i used to put my stands on like in 7:12 but thats a no go!
- functionally, it prevents the scratches on your car and the dreaded metal-on-metal sound. i also feel that it helps distribute the weight a little better.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Ibanez540r

Originally Posted by jujubii
thanks for the advice! no one has really ever answered my questions (in the past) about where to put the jackstands so i browsed around and saw someone rest the jackstands the way i explained it. it made sense to me because thats where you scissor jack the car

The scissor works there because it uses the strength of the pinch weld like an I beam.

(1) so that place definitely isnt safe?

No. It's just sheet metal. It obviously holds, but it's not made to support the car. If the car ever fell off the jack onto the stand it could very easily deform the panel

i was weary about the frame rail cuz it feels kinda soft; you can also hear some 'hollowness' between 7:00-7:06. i havent the guts to try it yet. (2)but, just to make sure, thats where i SHOULD be putting the stands and in that manner (refering to 7:05 where the Yshaped stick is perpendicular to the rail)?

It probably felt soft due to the rubberized protective undercoating. Not to confuse you, it is actually hollow, but its rectangle tube stock (steel). Very very strong. It's the frame of the car, the foundation and structural strength of the car. Completely appropriate safe place to support the vehicle

as for the 2x4 jackup method, ive driven my car up a 1" think piece of wood and my jack still wouldnt fit underneath. guess ill try 2?

A 2x4 is 1.5 inches thick. May work over the 1" board.

as for the framreail jackup method, once ive lifted 1 side of the car, you would proceed to place a stand under the rail and proceed to the other side, correct?

Yuppers. Just the corner will come off the ground, depending on how high the rear may start to come up.

itd feel really unsafe to have 1 stand holding the whole car while you make your way to the other side

For the sake of conversation, the car weighs 4000lbs. That means sitting flat it's 1000lbs a corner (actually a little more in front and a little less in rear, but you get the idea) Once you start jacking up the corner, you are transferring weight to the other three corners. By the time you place your 2 ton jack stand (4000 lbs.) under the corner, you may be supporting 6-800 pounds. Your safe. I would recommend the other suggestion first, but this is totally OK.
My message was too short to just post it like that
Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

My message was too short to just post it like that
thank you very much,
this is the kind of info i needed (and probably others too!)

as long as i follow the frame rail down to the back i can put the rear on stands the same way, correct?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
And one other thing, please dont wear flip flops when working in the garage....................
Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Ibanez540r

Originally Posted by jujubii
thank you very much,
this is the kind of info i needed (and probably others too!)

as long as i follow the frame rail down to the back i can put the rear on stands the same way, correct?
Yes. When jacking up the back, put the jack right underneath the differential, or "pumpkin" (slang automotive term). It's the large circular thing in between your back wheels. Should have a bunch of bolts going around the edge. After you jack it up, slide some jack stands under the FRAME.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Tazicon
And one other thing, please dont wear flip flops when working in the garage....................
youre in luck, i'm usually barefoot.

Yes. When jacking up the back, put the jack right underneath the differential, or "pumpkin" (slang automotive term). It's the large circular thing in between your back wheels. Should have a bunch of bolts going around the edge. After you jack it up, slide some jack stands under the FRAME.
yah, the differential is easy to spot v.s. the nipple (front jacking point) cuz its not as hidden and tucked in.

Last edited by jujubii; 12-23-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

updated with a picture! check the first post

btw... this is the frame rail youre talking abotu right?
Name:  framerail.jpg
Views: 11435
Size:  65.9 KB
Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
thanks for sharing!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:24 PM
canoncleguy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you! I am planning to do a bunch of services as a part of 60K service and I need this info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: How to jack up your G